Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Tubeless inflator recommendations
  • dirkpitt74

I need an inflator to seat my tyres as I’m gonna #give-tubeless-a-chance again.

I’ve tried the pop bottle before but could never get the valves on the lid to seal properly.

I’ve looked at this Giant Control Tank and the Beto Tubeless Air Tank.

Any experience of either?

I also have a 10l garden hand pump sprayer with a broken nozzle. This will pump to around 3bar (so effectivley around 30l of air for the tyre) before the safety valve pops. The pick-up tube inside is about the right size to fit over a presta valve, I also have a release valve I can stick between the 2 bits of pipe.

Anyone used the sprayer successfully?

al2000

I’ve got an Airshot, which works very well.

papamountain
    Free Member

Me too.

andylc
    Free Member

I have a presumably similar air reservoir track pump and it works really well, much less effort and higher success that just repeatedly trying with a standard track pump.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Airshot here too. One of those “right tool for the job” purchases I’ve never regretted.

Andy-R

2 litre Coke bottle ftw.

patagonian
    Free Member

Airshot for me too. Works really well unlike other methods I’ve tried.

trevmccdonald
    Free Member

There’s an Airshot on Ebay for a fiver, normally they’re £45 elsewhere ? Too good to be true ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/123252462904?chn=ps&var=423657368719

1timmy1
    Free Member

Airshot here as well. It just works, you won’t regret getting it.

andylc
    Free Member

Personally reckon its simpler to just get a track pump with an included reservoir rather than buying a separate device.

pipiom
    Free Member

Airshot here as well

BigJohn

Yes I bought a 10 litre sprayer, bodged it, and it works a treat.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Airshot here as well. It definitely makes things easier but I didnt find it infallible. I still needed to use soapy water on the rim bead for the last 4 tyres i used it with.

I can never understand when tyre reviews state that ‘it was hard to set up tubeless, we had to resort to a compressor rather than a track pump’. Has anyone in the history of tubeless tyres ever managed to mount a tyre tubeless with a track pump alone?

scc999

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>trevmccdonald
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

There’s an Airshot on Ebay for a fiver, normally they’re £45 elsewhere ? Too good to be true ?

</div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/123252462904?chn=ps&var=423657368719

</div>

That’s just for the schraeder adaptor, not the airshot.

scc999

Oh ffs – is the quote function still ****?

How can they not fix something so **** fundamental to a forum?

No wonder I hardly nother to log in on here any more.

nhamer1976
    Free Member

I can never understand when tyre reviews state that ‘it was hard to set up tubeless, we had to resort to a compressor rather than a track pump’. Has anyone in the history of tubeless tyres ever managed to mount a tyre tubeless with a track pump alone?

Never used anything other than a track pump. Levels of profanities whilst doing so does vary.

tall_martin

Compressor from lidl, never regretted mine 🙂

papamountain
    Free Member

As above that 5.99 is just for an adaptor. The airshot in that listing is 49.89

malv173
    Free Member

I’ve only ever needed a track pump. My first attempt (non-addix Hans Dampf on 650b DT Swiss E1900 25mm internal rims) required a tube to get the bead to seat, but recently replaced front with a Magic Mary and rear with Hans Dampf, both addix softs, and found they both seated quite easily, with only a track pump required. The recent tyres also inflated nicely on the dry runs (no sealant). I agree with nhamer though – my first experience was reasonably frustrating, but the lessons I learned definitely made the recent tyre switching much easier.

nixie

I’ve the beto one. Works well, built  well and cheaper (price match at tredz from Merlin then use their perpetual £5 off code).

jamj1974

Airshot user here – since they carme out.  A bit of soapy water on Hans Dampfs is the only thing I have had to do – all other tyres have gone on fine on a variety of rins – Arch EX, Flow EX, Roval Fattie, Easton Haven.  Purgatory/Butcher, Magic Mary and Trail Kings – all inflated straight away.

Has anyone in the history of tubeless tyres ever managed to mount a tyre tubeless with a track pump alone?

Yes.  For many years.  Some cursing involved on a small number of occasions – generally though, no hassle.

joebristol

I’ve got a CRC Airwave pump with tank built in. Does the job pretty well – just have to see how long it lasts as it was significantly cheaper than similar other products (sub £40).

dudeofdoom

Has anyone in the history of tubeless tyres ever managed to mount a tyre tubeless with a track pump alone?

Me Me Me…. but tbh I’ts a bit hit and miss and more miss but funny to watch the frantic pumping.

Airshot now makes it soo much a no brainer.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Fire extinguisher for me. I got 2 for a tenner and it even works far better than my compressor. Plus a free bike wash when you first empty them out!

stevextc
    Free Member

Nearly all the time … my 8 yr old can seat his own rocket ron’s on Crest rims…

I’ve tried the pop bottle before but could never get the valves on the lid to seal properly.

Bath sealant

I got a Beto one … works fine… less hassle than getting the hose onto valves and clamping with molegrips but otherwise works the same as the pop bottle….

Nobby
    lesshaste

Screwfix garden sprayer. £7.95. Comes with everything you need to convert it and works a treat.

submarined
    Free Member

Never used anything but a track pump.

Although this weekend’s challenge of a Trail Boss on an ARC30 was the closest I’ve ever come to buying a compressor.

akira

Airshot duct taped to my track pump, hey presto new fangled track pump.

theotherjonv

Yes, but my arms were pumping like a schoolboy enjoying some me time when he’s just heard his mum coming up the stairs.

dirkpitt74

Thanks all.

Had a go at converting my broken garden sprayer earlier:

Broken spray nozzle & valve replaced with 1/4 turn ball valve:

Pump it up!! 8 litres at 3 bar and see what it can do:

No sealant at the moment and the tyre popped on without using soapy water either.

Topped up with track pump and currently holding 40psi – will see how it is tomorrow.

fotorat
    Free Member

if you are using anew folded tire- mount it on a spare rim with inner tube for a few days- so that the bead gets into shape.

if you are using mavic ust rims and decent clean tire with stans juice – a track pump will suffice.

but if that fails – airshot – but you still might need to compress the tire to get it started..

I love doing it!

fotorat
    Free Member

I have also used my airshot to clean out my sunroof drains!

lesshaste

Nice bit of re-purposing Dirk.

stevextc
    Free Member

Nice bit of re-purposing Dirk.

And on the plus side can still be used to rinse down bikes…

stevextc
    Free Member

No sealant at the moment and the tyre popped on without using soapy water either.

Topped up with track pump and currently holding 40psi – will see how it is tomorrow.

It doesn’t really matter…. (except in how much sealant you use)…  That’s the tricky bit over unless you have massive tears in the tyres.

If it popped on and it’s holding 40 psi and not sounding like a jet going overhead just stick the sealant in.. put the valve core back and pump it back up to 40… give it a shake and spin etc. and preferably a ride…

TiRed

Airshot here too. One of those “right tool for the job” purchases I’ve never regretted.

This. Love mine. If I could improve ONE aspect, I’d add an extra flap to the neoprene cover so it can sit on the track pump. Just the right tool for the job.

I can mount some road tubeless with just the track pump, but the Airshot is one of those tools you know will do the job and is the right tool for the job. Very satisfying purpose.

ajaj
    Free Member

We had one of those garden sprayers go bang when using it with water (so less air to compress) and only a few pumps of pressure. Bits of sharp plastic shrapnel everywhere. Wouldn’t want to be bending over one with even more stored energy and no safety goggles.

stabilizers

Just lube up the rims with a bit of muc off (other detergents are available) after you have the sealant in and the tyres on the rims. Then one shot of the compressed cartridge and its on. maybe top up with the track pump to max pressure  and bounce the sealant around a lot. Leave over night if you can and then take it down to the desired pressure for riding. Used this technique on road, MTB and CX. Works every time.

bigblackshed

Taking inspiration from The Nobbyflator, I give you the Frankenflator:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless inflator recommendations’ is closed to new replies.