Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tubeless, how long does it last?
  • isitafox
    Free Member

Still debating going tubeless as I’ve had no problems running tubes puncture wise but a wheel I’ve just bought is taped ready.
    Having a quick scan through various setup kits and found one which says in the description lasts 3-9 months dependent on conditions. So does that mean I’d have to clean it out the tyre and reseal again after x amount of months?

Phil_H

Can’t say I’ve ever bothered with that, just squirt some more sealant in through both valves when I can’t hear it sloshing about in the front wheel when I take it off.
    I do need to keep an eye on the tyre pressures, they seem to drop faster than tubes.

isitafox
    Free Member

Nice one cheers, any particular sealant/valve recommendations?

joebristol

Can’t say I’ve had sealant ever go hard in a tyre yet but I do change tyres for summer / winter.

Just using stans – I haven’t had a puncture that I’m aware of since going tubeless. Hopefully I’m not jinxing myself!

Valve wise I’ve got Dt swiss valves on both bikes now but I’ve also run stans which have been fine and are cheaper. I think stans probably seat nicer than Dt on most non – Dt rims.

thepurist

Stans is the go to sealant – I usually drop a bit of the tyre off the bead to top it up rather than squirting it through the valve. An Airshot or similar will make tyre fitting so much easier too.

Wally

Decathlon Hutchinson latex air goo and their valves. Lasts months.

LMT
    Free Member

Been using orange seal in my plus bike, last full change was a year ago, I got a valve core remover and the refil bottle and every so often just top it up it’s held for 14 months so far..

kayak23

Been tubeless on 3 bikes for years. Don’t recall any issues. Top up every year or so through the valve or refresh if you change tyres.

I reckon I’ve forgotten how to fix a puncture. 😉

Wally

It’s worth having a look every 3 or 4 months. I have found balls of latex around thorns and worm plugs. Done four tyres today with soap and Aldi compressor, very easy.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

stans seems to last ages and i just top up from time to time,
    if you are likely to create holes i find glitter mixed in helps seal bigger holes,

when u get home after a puncture i tend to pump the tyre up to 40-50 psi spin the wheel then next day, let some air out and its as good as new, I’m still running a rear tyre i cut a 3-4mm hole in august, forgot all about it

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

kayak23

Subscriber
    Been tubeless on 3 bikes for years. Don’t recall any issues. Top up every year or so through the valve or refresh if you change tyres.

I reckon I’ve forgotten how to fix a puncture. 😉

Posted 13 hours ago

Same as above, although 17 years tubeless user 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

I tend to top up on an irregular basis – AKA when I remember. I’ll top up the week before a big trip during the general bike check.

Temperature has an effect on this – hotter weather leads to the sealant congealing quicker, for areas like the SW States that get properly hot then three months seems to be the recommended interval. For the UK, six months seems about right.

If you do have to fit a tube out on the trail then check the inside of the tyre very carefully for thorns and nails before you fit it 😢

weeksy

If your tyre lasts longer than the sealant, you’re not riding enough, get out more 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

So does that mean I’d have to clean it out the tyre and reseal again after x amount of months?

dip test every 3 months & top up if necessary. check more frequently if we get a hot summer like last year

Stans is the go to sealant

add glitter for it to work as well as the more up to date sealants like orange seal/muc-off etc or just buy one of those to save the hassle & mess of glitter everywhere!

scotroutes

If your tyre doesn’t last as long as the sealant then you need MOAR BIKES

ads678

I’ve got Mavic UST rims and valves Spesh tyres and Stans sealant. Set this up at the beginning of March 2017 and haven’t touched it since. Apart from topping up tyre pressure every now and then, but I have to do that on other bikes with tubes in as well.

I should probably top up the sealant but it seems to be working….

sandwicheater

As above have said, does last a while and i just top it up.

Normally check every 3-4 months, maybe every 6 weeks over summer, find the warmer conditions/increase in thorns have run tyres dry over a month.

I don’t change tyres until they are dead. Only then do i replace the stans, been pretty faultless.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Valves – doesn’t really matter. The only ones i’ve seen break are fancy (Peatys) Aluminium ones. I’ve got a mix of Stans, Mavic and DT that came with different things. Buy a load of cheap valve cores from eBay and change them when they get clogged up or bent.

How long it lasts? Depends on tyres, weather and probably humidity/temperature – our bikes are kept in the (modern, warm, dry) house rather than a garage which i think probably shortens sealant life considerably.

Does also depend on sealant – I used to reckon on a few months with Stans (about 3). I bought a big 5L container of Hutchinson and that seems to dry up in about 3 weeks. You don’t *need* to scrape old sealant out but if you just keep bunging more and more it you are adding a chunk of weight (and you can cause the tyre to stick together when you let the air out and be impossible to remove – i had to snip the bead on the last one i took off as I couldn’t get the tyre levers under it and then it was so stuck to the rim tape it lifted that as well.

How to put it in? I’ve got a couple of small sealant bottles (that came with a wheelset) – take the valve core out and use the small bottle to squirt it in. top up small bottle from large. Clean up the valve before putting the core back in.

molgrips
    Free Member

In the old days before tubeless specific tyres it used to dry out in 3-6 months. You’d refill it, but latex is mostly water so you could just add more in.

However with tubeless specific modern tyres it lasts a long time – When I end up changing tyres I suck up the old solution and it’s depleted by about 20% after a year or two, I add a little more and put it back in.

I use a syringe to add it. They are available on eBay cheaply and are very useful!

molgrips
    Free Member

when u get home after a puncture i tend to..

How do you know when you’ve had a puncture?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

How do you know when you’ve had a puncture?

The hissing sound and sealant spraying around is usually a good sign.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

However with tubeless specific modern tyres it lasts a long time – When I end up changing tyres I suck up the old solution and it’s depleted by about 20% after a year or two, I add a little more and put it back in.

It must be a humidity/temperature of storage then or still dependent on tyres – where you do you keep your bikes, what tyres, what sealant? I’ve never got anything like that long out of any combination. (Previously Stans/Conti, now Hutchinson Conti TKings or Specialized Grid.

philjunior
    Free Member

I tend to find it does it’s job (seals holes) without me noticing until one day it doesn’t, as it’s all run out of holes, so I just take a valve core remover and a small bottle of stan’s in my backpack (and a tyre lever when I’m taking procore out)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless, how long does it last?’ is closed to new replies.