Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Trek Remedy 7 (2010) or Orange five S (2010) that's the question?????
  • richoutthere
    Free Member

Ridden the five and loved it but can’t get past the looks, remedy looks very similar geometry and better spec but haven’t ridden one. This cash is burning a hole in my pocket now!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m on a 5. Rode it & couldn’t see the point in trying owt else.

Whyte1
    Free Member

5’s are ugly and old tech

The Trek Remedy 7 will do every thing the 5 will AND the warrenty is 100% better

timc
    Free Member

Doubt you can go wrong with either, unless you dont get on with the trek!?

I would make the effort to demo a trek & then simply go for what felt the best! would’nt worry to much about spec…

br
    Free Member

AND the warrenty is 100% better

Is it just me, or is this pretty much one of the last things you’d be bothered by when buying an MTB?

Or do you drive a Kia?

Whyte1
    Free Member

Not when most of the people i ride with have had issues with frames cracking or snapping all replaced no problem , apart from the most recent one being a 2 year old Yeti 575 with a snapped rear end – he’s been told to wistle .

So unless you’ve money to burn or buy cheapish bikes i think a warranty is something to bare in mind

coogan
    Free Member

Trek.

timc
    Free Member

never heard of orange’s being bad?

dont worry about that, that outlook of life is dull, pick the most comfortable!

coogan
    Free Member

Folded english tat or yank tat? Either one is fine. ‘Cept for the Halifax recycled filing cabinet.

grantway
    Free Member

MBR have a Trek 7 reviewed in last months mag and came in first place
    scored a 9.

I would go for the best frame rather than spec
    But best try them both out and go from there

mikertroid
    Free Member

Currently ride a Five Pro ’10. Rode a Rememdy 9 for a few days last year.

Both lovely. Five slightly more involving. You won’t go wrong with either.

joeegg
    Free Member

I,ve not ridden a Trek but had a 5 for a year(bought without a test ride).
    Fine downhills,but i thought its pedalling ability uphill was poor,and the geometry for me just didn’t seem right with too much weight over the back wheel.Also the paint finish was really second rate and needed a repaint after less than a year.Not impressed!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I,ve not ridden a Trek but had a 5 for a year(bought without a test ride).
    Fine downhills,but i thought its pedalling ability uphill was poor,and the geometry for me just didn’t seem right with too much weight over the back wheel.Also the paint finish was really second rate and needed a repaint after less than a year.Not impressed!

Very odd that, since I got my 2011 5 I’ve ridden up more stuff I’ve never managed before (unless I’ve simply had the wrong bike for the past 20 yrs) & the paintwork is 1st class.
    You must’ve had a Friday afternoon one.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

5’s are ugly and old tech
    Depends on your idea of ‘ugly’ (beauty is in the eye of the beholder!)
    ‘Old tech’ that still works just fine.

grantway
    Free Member

Just seen a vid clip on Oange web site of dave Flynn making up
    an Orange 5 with 36 vans and Cane Creek double barrel
    rear shock and riding Fort William Downhill course

Not bad for for a RSJ on wheels 😆

joeegg
    Free Member

The Orange 5 S that the guy is looking to buy doesn’t come with 36Vans and a fancy shock.Put those parts on a different make and it would probably ride the same if not better.

Blueadvocate

I love my Trek but its about opinions of course so demo if you can. As for the warranty I thought it was important given the Lapierre and Commencal issues.

grantway
    Free Member

Nope but just shows how tuff/solid the frame is
    and a good frame for future upgrades. Not many
    frames out there of the same travel can take the same abuse.

And like i said before i would rather go for a better frame rather
    than base it on spec has spec wears out does it not!

grantway
    Free Member

Blueadvocate around One a year of Orange 5’s break
    for what Orange have told me and thers no way they
    going to fail in the bikes you have mentioned.

I thought Orange increased the warranty now to 5 years

sheldona
    Free Member

Both shite 🙂

Blueadvocate

Ok I have no first experience of those bikes breaking but reading other forums people have; so you can’t say “no way”.

cpon
    Free Member

Whyte1 – Member
    Not when most of the people i ride with have had issues with frames cracking or snapping all replaced no problem , apart from the most recent one being a 2 year old Yeti 575 with a snapped rear end – he’s been told to wistle .

So unless you’ve money to burn or buy cheapish bikes i think a warranty is something to bare in mind

How many of those people you ride with have had issues with a Five? Extended warranties are often offered by brands with low consumer confidence (Toyato etc).

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The one that fits you better.

grantway
    Free Member

Blueadvocate I did say on average only one a year break
    and I do say NO the Orange 5 has never Had the same amount
    of failed or broken frames has the Commencal or the Lappiere
    have ever had

My ride :mrgreen:

rOcKeTdOg

orange pedals like a late 90’s full sus bike, trek pedals like a 2010 bike. i.e trek will pedal uphill and not feel like you are on a bouncy castle

richoutthere
    Free Member

if your smooth on the five like i am it hardly even moves with an rp23. more than can be said for any other bike I’ve tried so far (not including the remedy).

crotchrocket
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg> I got your back.

plus when you brake (eventually you will have to brake) the Remedy doesn’t suck up the rear travel with brake jack.

I was told this by an ex-pro downhiller (I am just repeating him & I don’t know what it means, so don’t challenge me on it) .

richoutthere
    Free Member

Well after much deliberation and a lot of “thinking”, i bought a 2010 Orange five S in white, today for £1800, got some free egg beaters, and can’t wait to get on on it tomorrow afternoon. It’s going to be a long day until i get home! Just been playing with it in the dinning room, and both the kids and my wife are saying it’s got to go and live in the shed! I keep telling them when it’s clean it can come in, but they not taking any notice.

Thanks all for your posts.

It’s an ugly rear, but the bottom line is, “it does what i want when I want it, and as long as I don’t have to drool over it that’s fine by me”

I hear what your saying about a single pivot, crotchrocket, but i’m not doing down hill on it, i’ll be trail riding so 5″ of travel is plenty.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

doh!

Trek!

Northwind

grantway – Member

“Just seen a vid clip on Oange web site of dave Flynn making up an Orange 5 with 36 vans and Cane Creek double barrel rear shock and riding Fort William Downhill course

Nope but just shows how tuff/solid the frame is and a good frame for future upgrades. Not many frames out there of the same travel can take the same abuse.”

Basically every 5 inch full suss will take that abuse. My Hemlock did no bother and those things are always snapping in half, allegedly :mrgreen: STW’s biek iz Saracin for their enduro DH race at fort bill and it didn’t die either.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I think the five is an excellent looking bike. Good choice and I hope you enjoy it. Don’t worry about brake jack

The end result: what does it mean?
    Most bikes squat to some degree. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as mentioned above. This includes most FSR bikes, despite Specialized’s “fully active in all circumstances” claim (with the understanding that “fully active” means “shock absorption completely unaffected by braking”). Some bikes do actually “jack” but these are few and far between, and it’s not always bad enough to even be noticeable, let alone a problem. There is a definite placebo effect surrounding brake systems, and it is not unlikely that this is due mainly to lack of education/understanding on the subject. Some people will swear black and blue that singlepivots are nearly unrideable due to perceived “brake jack”, others will simply state that they’ve never even noticed it. From this we can make a logical conclusion: BISI does exist, and that it is not necessarily a problem – in fact in some forms and to some degrees it can even be useful. However it is hard to believe that any common amount of brake squat can make a bike unrideable, or anything to that end. Notably, the bike on which Fabien Barel won the 2004 world DH championships on had a brake linkage designed specifically to increase the level of (pro-)squat far beyond what normal bikes generate. Riding the production version of this bike, you can feel a huge tendency for the rear end to dive when the rear brake is applied. Given that no owners of those bikes seem to have any problem with the extreme brake setup, one might logically assume that it’s not actually that bad, and that other bikes with considerably less brake induced squat can hardly be any worse off, and thus are perfectly fine to ride – although not necessarily as comfortable as they could be.

The moral of the story is that almost any pro-squatting braking setup is usable. That is not to say that there is no reason to dislike certain degrees of brake interaction – that varies with riding style, terrain and personal preferences. Another important point to note is that true “neutrality” under any acceleration (positive [pedalling] or negative [braking]) is not necessarily an optimum setup – certain reaction forces under braking/pedalling can help stabilise the bike as well as offer greater comfort and traction. It is also useful to know that it’s not hard to make stuff perform worse, so be wary of playing with your bike’s braking characteristics unless you know what you’re doing – that incorporates more than is written in this article.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Four bars aren’t affected by braking according to my highly scientific test….

I own both a four bar and a single pivot bike and I’ve tested both by taking out the shock on a workstand and then spinning the weels and braking. On the single pivot the swing arm jumps up with braking, 4 bars are completely motionless.

I quite like the brake squat you get with single pivots, it slackens up the angles downhill, but you do get stutter and skids which you don’t get with 4 bars.

I prefer 4 bars but nowt wrong with single pivots.

igm

Ayatollahofniche – Member
    Both shite

Not enough top tubes?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

joolsburger, nicely cut and pasted… 😉

Mal-ec
    Free Member

the warranty is 100% better

Having just had a frame warrantied by Orange, have to say they were brilliant.

The new ST4 is worth considering too. NOT an xc whippet frame, but hugely capable trail bike. Stiff when you need it to be, plush as, good technical climber, great descender massive amount of fun. Everything that was good about the old frame, but significantly better.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Crotchrocket that made me laugh no end, I expect he just made it up. I’m off to test my ride as the front end barrel roll keeps locking down when the tyres have too much play it’s just soaking it up in the stem rebuff, mate.

specializedneeds

4 bar unaffected by braking? Search “FSR brake jack” on you tube…

fattatlasses
    Free Member

I’m lucky enough (er..depending on your opinion!) to have a 2010 Five and Trek EX8. Also had a couple of decent off-road demo rides on Alu & Carbon Remedy’s.

The carbon Remedy was very nice, but at £5k, I guess it should be!

However, if I was forced to choose between the Five and an Alu EX or Remedy, I’d go with the Five every time. TBH, my jury is still out on the looks of the Five (tho I reckon white is a good colour for them), but lets face it, when you’re hooning along a nice bit of singletrack on any decent bike, are you really gonna give a flyin’ fig what ot looks like?

p.s. good move getting the household used to a bike being kept indoors 🙂 My newest bikes have lived in the dining room for years, but now I’ve got a decent dry & secure workshop, they live in there, apart from when the in-laws visit, when one of ’em gets brought back in – just love the look on the mother in laws face 😉

ridethelakes
    Free Member

specializedneeds – Member

4 bar unaffected by braking? Search “FSR brake jack” on you tube…

Can’t argue with that video but all I can say is that on my Ellsworth Moment when I do exactly the same test it doesn’t move a millimetre. The SP jumps up like the fsr on that video.

If I’m really bored this weekend I’ll do a video myself.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Bike bought. Thread closed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Trek Remedy 7 (2010) or Orange five S (2010) that's the question?????’ is closed to new replies.