Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Trek Frame Warranty
  • doomanic

Has anyone had the misfortune to need to use Trek’s warranty cover on a Full sus frame that’s a couple of revisions old?

The lower shock mount on my 2017 Powerfly has cracked. It’s back at the dealer who will starting the warranty process on Monday but given the time of year I’m not expecting a quick response.

My issue is the frame has been revised a couple of times. In 2018 they moved from an external battery to a semi-internal, which uses the same battery but in 2019 they went fully internal, so different battery. The dealer is confident they will provide a new internal battery if necessary, along with any other components required to make good. Has anyone had a similar experience with an older model frame?

stayhigh

Back in 2013 I had to warranty a 2009 hardtail frame that cracked at the seat tube/top tube junction. They wanted me to return the whole frame however given it had cracked almost all the way through they agreed I could just send back the BB shell with the serial number on it. Once they had that back they sourced me a new 2013 frame and popped that out to me no questions asked.

All said and done it took around 3 weeks including then sourcing a frame from Trek Europe as they didn’t have any available in the UK. Can’t fault them at all on customer service and honouring warranty.

simondbarnes

Any warranty claims I’ve processed through Trek have been really straightforward as long as original proof of purchase is provided.

doomanic

Thanks.

This isn’t my first claim; rear wheel (twice, different faults) and cranks. Both dealt with quickly by the LBS/Trek but they are pretty straightforward compared to a frame that’s not only been superseded but used different, expensive, critical parts.

@stayhigh
    , was the 2013 frame any different to the 2009? BB, headset, seat tube diameter, wheel diameter, that sort of thing?

mrmo
    Free Member

not a full sus but a road bike, bought bike c1998, snapped frame c2008, replaced frame and fork, snapped replacement in c2017, again replaced frame and fork.

As long as you have the proof of purchase no issues.

Things that were incompatible, ie front mech etc, my problem. but not really complaining.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

While back at LBS guy frame cracked on a 10 year old road bike which was a alloy framed one so they just sent him out a new £1200 whole bike so he had all the parts to sell cant be bad it was the same model road bike.

doomanic

A front mech is a bit different in price to an eBike battery though…

mrmo
    Free Member

A front mech is a bit different in price to an eBike battery though…

but carbon forks aren’t cheap and were included when I broke the frame.

doomanic

I’m assuming you already had forks so they were just a nice bonus item?

tomhoward

but carbon forks aren’t cheap and were included when I broke the frame.

Not £900rrp though, are they.

OP, I imagine, if they don’t have any of your year left, they’ll give you everything proprietary that you need to get back to where you were.

stayhigh

The 2009 was a Gary Fisher Rig with an eccentric BB in a beautiful metallic root beer colour. GF bikes had pretty much been swallowed up by Trek by 2013 so the replacement was Trek branded with a standard BB and a rather dull grey/green paint job. As said though despite the change even in branding they honoured the warranty without question just needed to send photos of the damage and the serial number.

njee20
    Free Member

I would fully expect them to either have an older frame available, or to provide everything you need to get you up and running. They should.

I cracked the (carbon) chain stays on my Top Fuel a few years ago. They couldn’t get direct replacements. They offered me some aluminium stays and some carbon wheels as ‘compensation’, a replacement 29er frame and forks (but not wheels IIRC) or £2k off any bike in their range. I was happy.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I have a customer who owned a Remedy carbon, pretty much top spec, reverb circlip failed (13 months of ownership) and shot down, cracking the seat tube. Trek said it was a RS issue, RS said it should have been serviced after 12 months (reverb B1s have huge issues with rotting circlips). Trek offered a crash replacement frame at £2600 I think it was! In the end after much arguing he got a warranty frame.

stevemorg2

I had a crack develop in the top tube of a 2016 Fuel 29er – replaced with a 2019 version and new shock with no arguments – great service

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Trek Frame Warranty’ is closed to new replies.