Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Traveling to Orkney and Shetland.
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

I quite fancy taking myself away on the motorbike to Orkney and Shetland isles. Has anyone been? Any pointers on routes etc?

duncancallum

Been to orkney a few times. Back up in Stromness in March infact

Spin
    Free Member

Read some George MacKay Brown while you’re there.

tjagain

Ferry to Orkney is short and cheap.  Shetland is a whole different matter.

white101

I took a ferry from Aberdeen to Shetland years ago for work, overnighter via Kirkwall into Lerwick the following morning. Then travelled back to Stromness Orkney for work then to Scrabster 10 days later. Think the ferry trips cost £600+ for a long wheelbase transit we had for work, might have been more my colleague paid on his work card.

longdog
    Free Member

I lived in Shetland for 12 years. Roro Ferry from Aberdeen (Northlink) is overnight and you’ll want a cabin. It’s pretty pricey and gets booked up quickly in the summer. Great roads for motorbiking if the weather and wind are kind and easy access to a number of islands on roro ferries. Accomodation can be hard to find at short notice in the summer and pricey. Not a massive amount of cafes when you’re out an about. I loved it there but we needed to be more accessible to family who weren’t there so moved to mainland Scotland.

Orkney is great too. Easier and cheaper to get to with a ferry from Roro Aberdeen (Northlink) or ferries from Scrabster area. Some of the other isles take a bit more planning and time to get to. More accommodation and more cafes etc than shetland and a different landscape than shetland too with much more obvious farming and cows. The west coast of Orkney and Hoy (Rackwick and the old man) are my favourite areas, but if you’ve never been before it’s all great.

Both places can get very wild and windy and there’s not much shelter from it.

croxs

I lived on Shetland for over 12 years lovely place lovely people but the weather was mixed rain or wind even in middle of summer it can get breezy Orkney easier and cheaper to get to either northlink or Pentland ferries. May or June would be best time before midges turn into velociraptors

Bruce

I have been to both on organised seakayak trips. In Orkney on mainland we stayed here, its a good campside with great showers an indoor sitting area and kitchen facilities.

Home

Its right next to the leisure centre and a very short stroll to supermarkets and town.
    Loads of historic stuff to see and lots of great views.
    In Shetland we had bunkhouse accomodation but I stayed on for a few days to sight see. I stayed at a campsite with pods (in a pod) here. The pods are basic but warm and comfortable, The cafe was very patchon opening when I was there but nice when open. The view from the campsite is stunning.
    https://www.facebook.com/BraewickCafe/
    The last night I stayed here http://www.braehotel.co.uk/
    It was comfortable and warm and did reasonable vegi food.
    Other tips Do go for a walk or two. Do get a cabin on the boat to Shetland if going from Aberdean. Do go to St Ninians Isle. Do have a great time.

intheborders
    Free Member

Where you starting from, as it’s a long way from pretty much anywhere (on a motorbike)?

oldtennisshoes

I love Orkney. Shetland is a big knackered wind swept bog; I can take it or leave it,

blokeuptheroad

A you tuber called Richy Vida has done solo motorcycle tours of Shetland and Orkney, as well as Iceland, Norway and a load of other places.  They are pretty well filmed and would probably give you some ideas about accommodation and places to visit.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Many thanks all, lots to work through. I’d quickly priced a one way ticket from Aberdeen with motorbike at £60. I’ll need to double check the terms of that though.

Where you starting from, as it’s a long way from pretty much anywhere (on a motorbike)?

Starting from Ayrshire, I’d either head to Aberdeen in a day or would travel up the west coast over a couple to get to Scrabster. I think it might be worth considering limiting the itinerary and maybe doing a couple of trips.

longdog
    Free Member

You could do a loop up via Abz to Shetland and back via Orkney and Scrabster from Shetland?

matt_outandabout

We are heading to Orkney with bikes and boots this summer – and we have ‘accidently’ booked a holiday cottage next to the Orkney Brewery… 😎

Getting to Orkney – Pentland ferry was cheaper and faster.

The other thing I am aware of is that getting between islands for a day or overnight can take some planning and early starts.

sherpachris

I’ve been to Shetland quite a few times for work sailing from Aberdeen to Lerwick. Also on one occasion I went from Scrabster to Stromness and then onto Shetland the following night which is probably the way I would do it if traveling for pleasure and then return to Aberdeen. Both beautiful places. Very expensive ferries for a commercial van, £1000+ return but will be much cheaper for a motorbike, I’d definitely recommend a cabin for the for the Shetland crossing unless you can sleep sitting in a chair. The crossing can be very rough, Lerwick to Aberdeen is the only ferry I’ve ever suffered sea sickness on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.