Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Travel insurance to the USA for mountain biking
  • willt
    Free Member

any recommendations on where to go for cover to do trail riding, not racing or downhill?

molgrips
    Free Member

More than IIRC cover MTBing.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

i would say snowcard but an old thread will give you some ideas Travel Insurance

scaredypants

I’ve “always” used snowcard, annual cover for ski & mtb – never needed the cover, I’m glad to say but I’m led to believe that they don’t take the piss, i.e. pay up quickly and in full (heard the same about dogtag too)

Adding in USA to a Europe quote pretty much doubles it IIRR, though it’s been a few years since I did that

Prices are fairly steep but they let you pick your level of danger and they also advise over the phone if you’re unsure

shortcut

Dogtag is a bit of a go to in this arena.

When you say not down hill you should probably check the small print. With many companies it would seem that uplifted riding means down hill. If you are doing any sort of competition you need to be over towards the more expensive end of the options list. If it is less than £250 for an annual policy you need to triple check the small print.

legend
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    More than IIRC cover MTBing.

Careful with that sort of thing. Loads of companies cover doing some riding when away, but when the holiday is a riding holiday it changes things massively in their eyes

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah, you might be right. I was never on pure riding holidays.

Obviously read the small print for yourself!

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

pure riding holidays.

I have travel insurance with HSBC and if it’s straight mtb holiday it’s not covered also even you MTB on a non exclusive MTB holiday I would check with them as their idea of MTB is very different from what you and I will ride.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Dogtag is a bit of a go to in this arena. When you say not down hill you should probably check the small print. With many companies it would seem that uplifted riding means down hill. If you are doing any sort of competition you need to be over towards the more expensive end of the options list. If it is less than £250 for an annual policy you need to triple check the small print.

Dogtag definition –
    https://www.dogtag.com/sports-information/mountain-biking-and-downhill-mountain-biking/

However, pretty sure I got a quote for a couple, Extreme, without Winter sports, for £155

scuttler

I used https://www.sportscoverdirect.com/ back in 2015 for a day of ‘Activity Topup’ cover on a week long work trip for which I had standard cover. The challenge I found with a lot of insurers is they required you to be covered for the whole trip which worked out expensive. Not sure how well this might suit your requirements and I never claimed on it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

My regular travel insurance I use for skiing and stuff (Travelinsurance.co.uk which is a rebrand of InsureAndGo), excludes MTB holidays (only noticed that this year) and also excludes racing and riding on “extreme ground conditions”. Digging around this is a general get out clause and typically means anything other than tarmac. Can notify them (for a premium) if doing proper MTB but it then says it invalidates the personal accident and liability cover for the duration of the activity (seems kind of pointless really).

In short, standard travel insurance likely won’t cover proper MTB.

I’ve used Snowcard for specific trips however. One trip policy. I’ve looked at annual insurance with them for MTB and skiing (I ski in US a lot, so has to be worldwide), but it’s stupidly expensive. Cheaper with a standard insurance and then one off insurance for specific trips.

Also with Snowcard I dial down stuff for baggage, money and anything non riding/bike related. Leave that to my regular insurance for lost luggage, delays, theft etc. Snowcard would cover bike related injuries, recovery and the bike itself (although though last I looked only covered to £3k for the bike).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Travel insurance to the USA for mountain biking’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM