Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Trapped wind or Appendicitis?
  • lightman
    Free Member

I’d prefer the former, how sore usually is trapped wind??
    It has moved from stomach yesterday to lower right stomach today, pain killers not really helping much.

maccruiskeen

I think the old adage is ‘if symptoms persist consult a doctor post a thread about it’ 😉

lightman
    Free Member

🙂
    Dont worry, doc appointment in an hour.

jimdubleyou

pain killers not really helping much.

Probably cat-aids. The bad kind.

Did you try Rennie, rather than a pain killer?

maccruiskeen

I wouldn’t expect trapped wind to stay trapped for 24hrs unless you’ve eaten a can of ‘no more big gaps’ recently or ticked all the boxes in the ‘things I can’t do whilst farting’ thread. Theres a post-viral thing that I’ve had twice (a week or so after having a cold) thats very painful and feels enough like appendicitis to have been admitted to hospital and prepped for surgery on one of those occasions. But even having had false alarms I’d still treat something that feels like appendicitis like its appendicitis because I don’t what to know what ‘something that feels like septicaemia’ feels like.

willard

Had you been eating a lot of dried apricots recently? I did that once and had really, REALLY bad wind. It took an afternoon off work and several hours of farting to get me back to normal.

A very odd combination of extreme pain and hilarity. Yes, very odd.

perchypanther
    Free Member

OP – Did you eat the Silica Gel sachet?

You’re really not supposed to.

wwaswas

My experience of appendicitis would lead me to conclude that unless you’re doubled up in pain and afraid to move a muscle because it makes the pain worse then it’s probably not appendicitis.

nickc

Call 111 give them your symptoms, follow advice

maccyb
    Free Member

Pain moving from stomach to lower-right stomach/quadrant sounds like a classic symptom to me. When I had appendicitis it took several days to actually present ‘properly’ – it started off as pain in the stomach area and none of the usual signs, and I spent the next few days in hospital with the occasional x-ray and ultrasound trying to spot it, only to (I think) pass out on the way back from the last ultrasound and wake up the next day having been for emergency surgery…

Seems like everyone says/gets told it was ‘about to burst’ but I think I have a genuine claim on that one. Also apparently it was several inches longer than average… 8) Unfortunately that meant a sizeable scar – no keyhole for me!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Press on your abdomen. What happens?

maccyb
    Free Member

Mine only really caused severe pain on pressure late on… I got prodded a lot in the right-lower quadrant and it didn’t get any reaction at all for the first couple of days.

johnners
    Free Member

OP – Did you eat the Silica Gel sachet?

It would never have occurred to me to put those things near my mouth if they hadn’t written “Do Not Eat” all over them. I now have an sneaking suspicion that they’re absolutely delicious and that’s why they have to warn you.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I now have an sneaking suspicion that they’re absolutely delicious and that’s why they have to warn you.

I ate one, just made me feel dehydrated.

bails

Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarp

ebygomm
    Free Member

A doctor told my uncle he had trapped wind and a low pain threshold – he ended up with peritonitis

maccruiskeen

Had you been eating a lot of dried apricots recently? I did that once and had really, REALLY bad wind. It took an afternoon off work and several hours of farting to get me back to normal.

I skipped lunch because an event I was going to ‘would have food’. It turned out ‘food’ was a few large, artfully placed, bowls of artichoke hearts. Starving hungry and bored I ate the best part of a catering tins worth over the 5 hours we were there.

The next day hurt a lot! But you wouldn’t have thought the discomfort was anything other than wind. Quite testing of a friendship when you’re kipping on the couch in an ex-girlfriends pokey london bedsit too 😀

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

maccyb, exactly my experience, thought I had pulled a muscle playing squash, just a dull ache until the final stages. I too was told it was just about to burst and I fully believe them. Ended up with a couple of weeks in hospital with a wound infection.

martinhutch

Later at lightman’s local surgery…

gummikuh

Appendicitis is painful, press down and release, that is the test, but fever and high temperature are all in the mix, just don’t wait for it to burst, that hurts.
    I presented at a+e with suspected appendicitis wearing two overcoats and shivering, triaged and rushed into surgery same day.
    Appendix gone, three holes around my belly button.
    The pain from that trapped air a few days after is shocking, that is painful.
    ring 111.
    Might just be diverticulosis

Ive got shingles at the moment, now that is a right laugh!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Rebound pain….though I spent 3 days in observation being told how well I looked before they stuck me in have a quick look with the camera.3 hours later and an open procedure to remove my shortly to be perforated appendix.
    They were pretty confident that if I’d gone home I would have likely died of sepsis.

wwaswas

Any news OP?

choppersquad
    Free Member

Appendicitis hurts like buggery.
    At no time did I ever think it was trapped wind.
    Don’t leave it like I did and let it rupture.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Any news OP?

He ded 🙁

maccruiskeen

mrhoppy

Right hand, thumb in belly button small finger on hip bone. Appendicitis pain would be around the tip of your middle finger and worse on rebound.

If in doubt go in and get a finger shoved up your arse.

lightman
    Free Member

Im alive!

I got sent straight to hospital after I saw the doc, OP the next morning and just got home last night.

Pain got gradually worse and worse as the day went on, the nurse thought it would be funny to give me really shit pain killers every hour throughout the night and ask me every time if they made any difference, I said no, but she just carried on giving me the same 5ml syringe that apparently had Morphine in it!

I spent the whole night and most of the morning curled up in pain, Im not afraid to admit it, I cried quite a lot!

Ive had a few very painful injury’s in the past and the pain eased of a bit with them, but about 15hrs curled up in pain with no pain killers, that was something else!

Now the important question, how long before I can get back on the bike?

km79
    Free Member

Now the important question, how long before I can get back on the bike? what was it?

eruptron
    Free Member

choppersquad – Member
    Appendicitis hurts like buggery.

You need a more sympathetic lover 😯

tang
    Free Member

Well done for getting to the docs. Mine fully ruptured due to mis diagnosis, very nearly finished me off.

joshvegas
    Free Member

the nurse thought it would be funny to give me really shit pain killers every hour throughout the night and ask me every time if they made any difference, I said no, but she just carried on giving me the same 5ml syringe that apparently had Morphine in it!

I know that joy imagine how much I laughed when i found out morphine has no effect on me whatsoever.

Coming round from a appendix and cyst removal to no painkillers was great

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Trapped wind or Appendicitis?’ is closed to new replies.