Transition Scout & Headsets.

Home Forum Bike Forum Transition Scout & Headsets.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Transition Scout & Headsets.
  • Premier Icon irollones
    Subscriber

No, wait – after some intensive searching it seems it should have been painted there, so the shop took the paint off or ‘something’ 🙁

Premier Icon irollones
    Subscriber

So, caught a good deal on a TR Scout and loving it but one thing bugs me:

That gap around the upper headset cup…

Anyone aware of a set thats a little wider lipped than the rest or am I going to have to break out the Tamiya and get painting!

Already picked up a top set from Superstar Components and as good as it is it’s also bang on the same size.

Premier Icon jairaj
    Subscriber

yep thats a pretty standard practice, its called facing the headtube. Insures the face of the headtube is nice and flat so the cup sits in straight.

Looks a bit crap like that but it’ll be covered in mud soon and you wont be able to see it.

Premier Icon irollones
    Subscriber

ah cool, good to know thanks 🙂

Premier Icon darrenspink
    Subscriber

That doesn’t look right, I have a hope and its flush with the headtube.

allymcmurdo

Yep, my Hope sits flush too.

Premier Icon beanum
    Subscriber

I’ve got a 2016 Scout and I don’t think mine looks like that. Having said that, it’s a black frame with a black headset so won’t be as obvious.
    I’ll have a look tonight to check.

Premier Icon irollones
    Subscriber

I’ll get a hope on order then, see how that fares…. or order a silver one LOL.

responces much appreciated – Thanks!

Premier Icon fathomer
    Subscriber

My 2016 with a Hope headset doesn’t look like that either.

ehrob

My Scout has an FSA headset and doesn’t look like that.

Sure its preloaded properly and all headset bits are in the right order?

Premier Icon irollones
    Subscriber

“Sure its preloaded properly and all headset bits are in the right order?” Not at all sure no… new to this so bought from a reputable shop. From the minefield that is headsets, everything looks present and correct. Will take it to the local shop see what they think.

leggyblonde

Another flush sitting Hope here too.

An internal HS shouldn’t really need facing. I’d be annoyed if a shop did that to my bike without me expressly asking for it

Premier Icon andyecc
    Subscriber

Can’t post photos from here but my 2016 Scout has an FSA headset which sits perfectly flush.
    I’ve just noticed that my brand new Patrol with FSA headset looks like the pic in the OP.
    Both fit and work perfectly.
    I would suggest ignoring it completely and riding the snot out of your totally awesome new bike!
    Welcome to the Transition family but be warned – they are a bit addictive.

joemmo

An internal HS shouldn’t really need facing. I’d be annoyed if a shop did that to my bike without me expressly asking for it

Indeed. No need to face this for a drop in headset. If they’ve taken the top coat of paint off it might be worth sealing it with some clear lacquer.

poah

An internal HS shouldn’t really need facing

Scout doesn’t have an internal headset it’s a ZS headset

joemmo

Ok, facing it makes more sense then. Probably still worth sealing.

Premier Icon darrenspink
    Subscriber

Just while we’re talking about headsets anyone run an angleset?
    I run 150 forks so its made the head angle to around 66.5 but wouldn’t mind making it a tiny bit slacker (66, 65.5) although worried about dropping the BB down anymore.

Premier Icon Kamakazie
    Subscriber

Not a Scout but I added a -2 degree angleset to my Bandit as well as upping the travel to 160mm.
    This roughly results in a similar BB height and a -3 headangle (65ish).

Hard to pinpoint the benefit as it was running 160mm forks in the beginning so higher BB, slacker SA and slightly slacker HA than designed, but to me it feels better everywhere, particularly on the climbs.
    I see no reason for steeper HAs.

Premier Icon Johnny Panic
    Subscriber

The Hope headsets will run flush as they have a nice little rubber sealing washer under the collar and some thin spacers under there so you can make sure the collar sits and seals properly. Not all headsets do that.

Saying that, it’s still possible that the FSA on yours isn’t properly assembled. Be unusual for a shop to get that wrong though….

thepodge

Looks like overly aggressive facing to me, it’s taken the top of the weld off.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.