Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Transit connect VS Caddy Vs Scudo
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

For bike duties – which is best and why?

3 seats a definite bonus

timber

well none of those have 3 seats up front (off to double check which the scudo is, but pretty sure)

just got a Caddy Maxi at work for road duties, 5 seats and ample bike space, if only I were able to blag it – not that quick, but ours is the bottom spec 1.9d, can get them with VAG 2.0 tdi like golf and a3

EDIT: scudo has 3 seats up front, but is no wider really, once had one on hire as last van left, not comfy for 3, but bigger than the others in the back

lyons
    Free Member

I found the scudo very uncomfortable to drive… I cant comment on the others.

goog
    Free Member

go for the VW transporter !

hora
    Free Member

SWB Toyota HiAce- creams all the above.

spooky_b329

Those three are all a bit small for bike duties really, especially if you get a crewcab version.

I'd go for a low roof Transit or Vivaro/Trafic. Not sure on your budget but keep an eye out for ex-BT Vivaros as they have twin sliding doors which is handy. Not sure if they are being sold off yet but must be getting close to the 5 years lease.

andrewh
    Free Member

Caddy is very good to drive, but space will be limited if you do fit a rear seat.
    Hi-ace is better space wise.
    If it's just for bikes get a Hi-ace. If it's an everyday vehicle for occasional bike use get a Caddy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

would a semi high roof connect be adaquate for bike duties if we didnt go for the crew cab pish ?

really trying to stay away from the full size transit as its over kill for 90% of what we do ! – not willing to spend 5 grand on a transporter with 100k on the clock – seems like entering bangernomics on an expensive car to me with transporters

seen some connects from stealerships with 34k on the clock with some change from 5 grand ! can get full size low roof transits for similar cash but with about 55k on the clock although if i go full size transit ill buy my dads ex lease transit as it only has a little bit to go and hes wanting to buy a new(bigger) one outright

saw that caddy on here at 4 grand the other day and thought **** that – VW badge really does seem to attract a premium from the lifestyle boys .. 100k on the clock ! i got offered a GT TDI with 95k on the clock for a grand and a half in great condition – i just cant see how people pay way over the odds to own a vw van – i wont be thats for sure – not till i can afford a california – even then looking at new vs second hand prices a new one makes economical sense

j-cru
    Free Member

I,ve got a connect and love it, get a LWB high roof if you can, but I would have had the caddy if i could,ve afforded it. Scudo does come with 3 seats, my mate has one, gearshift is on the dash to make room.

timber

BT sell off from 3 months onwards, they make money on the vehicles that way due to bulk buy discount. Got number for their fleet manager somewhere if really interested.

Our Caddy is the Maxi version, so second row of seats isn't compromised as whole thing is nearly 3 foot longer than the standard van – about the same size as my Mondeo estate, but a more practical shape for multiple bikes

Had a hiace, damn solid, highly under-rated van.
    The temptation is to go bigger and bigger, but then do you really want to run all of that vehicle all of the time? was getting stung on the severn crossings and whilst it goes as fast as all the rep mobiles, it aint half as economical

hora
    Free Member

Slight hijack- if you have a open cab/to the rear. How 'warm' are you/passengers in winter with such a void behind you?

I've driven a Hi-Ace and a Transit however both in Summer/warm months, never in winter.

timber

my hiace had a bulkhead, but with the heater on flat-out, I could still be toasty at 60mph whilst it was snowing with the windows down

Hora – Best off putting some crap in the back over the axle though, hiace was very light with plenty of power at the back, so wasn't great on ice and snow empty, 100kg should do it. I just never emptied out all my firelogs.

anniison
    Free Member

Cant comment on the scudo, but connect (IMHO) is the more comfortable when compared with the caddy. Also very reliable and hold price well. Even better if it has the heated windscreen, definately a bonus!

epicyclo

timber – Member
    …Best off putting some crap in the back over the axle though, hiace was very light with plenty of power at the back, so wasn't great on ice and snow empty, 100kg should do it. I just never emptied out all my firelogs.

In Oz, I once was very embarassed when my blinged up Hi-Ace with big fat tyres kept spinning up on wet grass in a field. I couldn't get up a slight incline. I had to get rescued by an old dear in a Japanese car,

I second putting 100kg over the back axle 🙂

alexonabike

saw that caddy on here at 4 grand the other day and thought **** that

That is my van. A fair price I think for a 4 year old van. Not many around cheaper with a £1300 camper conversion! The VW's do attract a better used price, that is why they are a savvy purchase. Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder T-R!

gtkid
    Free Member

Don't know how anyone can say they are all a but small for bike duties as I ran a doblo which is even smaller with no problems, but it depends what exactly you want to do with it. Brief opinions of the above – Caddy, solid with good second hand values but cost more to start with. Connect – good van but thirsty. Scudo – cheapest of the bunch, better than the dispatch but not as good as the partner (spec wise). Comes down to budget and badges. Also check insurance as for some reason the Connect was way more than others when we were looking.
    Just my tuppence!

trail_rat
    Free Member

merely an example – nothing to do with your actual van

i just dont see a 100k milage vehicle regardless of age a sound purchase.
    i recall you mentioning as much in a previous thread.

just that Vdubs seem to command that sorta price – you then have to deal with all the associated wear – esp if like me residuals are unimportant due to the fact i keep my vehicles till they die.

Id like to buy a california – new price 42k for base model .

20k milage base model was fetching 38k – madness !

i had a look at the camper conversion in your vw thats pretty sweet actually – looks like it might be a goer for adapation into a connect

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Which has the biggest payload area – connect or caddy?

timber

or vauxhall combo to throw a spanner in the works, v.similar size to connect, but a better drive with stronger engine in my opinion – think they are a touch bigger too, read something about biggest in class, make sure it's a 1.7 if you do distance

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Oh yes, wait a minute Mister Postman
    (Wait)
    Wait Mister Postman

Please Mister Postman, look and see
    (Oh yeah)
    If there's a letter in your bag for me
    (Please, Please Mister Postman)
    Why's it takin' such a long time
    (Oh yeah)
    For me to hear from that boy of mine

There must be some word today
    From my boyfriend so far away
    Pleas Mister Postman, look and see
    If there's a letter, a letter for me

I've been standin' here waitin' Mister Postman
    So patiently
    For just a card, or just a letter
    Sayin' he's returnin' home to me

(Mister Postman)
    Mister Postman, look and see
    (Oh yeah)
    (Oh yeah)
    For me to hear from that boy of mine

So many days you passed me by
    See the tears standin' in my eyes
    You didn't stop to make me feel better
    By leavin' me a card or a letter

(Mister Postman)
    (Oh yeah)

(Why don't you check it and see one more time for me, you gotta)
    Wait a minute
    Wait a minute
    Wait a minute
    Wait a minute
    (Mister Postman)

(C'mon deliver the letter, the sooner the better)
    Mister Postman

trail_rat
    Free Member

combo is smaller than the base connect.

2.7 m cubed vs 3.2 m cubed

they are temptingly cheap – 4 grand no vat for a 33k on the clock or 6 grand inc vat for a 12k miles

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Where are they £4k for that low mileage? any link?

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

go all the way and buy a transit…crew cab

trail_rat
    Free Member

van trader amongst others – 3250 + vat for 22k on the clock in an 07 combo. need to travel a bit though(for me anyway based in aberdeen) so youll wanna check out a few locally …

unless you want an 09 plate combo – which is gonna be silly money being near new

although im getting better prices at local stealerships on connects than van trader – murisons comercials (even inc vat -as they dont on their ticket prices)

for every van sub 3k with between 50 and 100k on the clcok there are 3 or 4 at 150k on the clock for the same money – and have been on there for weeks. Scot cars is full of hopeful clowns too.

my only issue is im being picky by wanting a LWB Hi roof – seen a few but reluctant to hit the panic button and go view + buy at the moment with xmas happening and me being just into a new job.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Transit connect VS Caddy Vs Scudo’ is closed to new replies.