Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Trailraker or Mud-X
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Trailraker blew off the rim yesterday 🙁 Either I replace the one tyre or I get a pair of Mud-Xs that I can run tubeless.

What do you think?

Nonsense
    Free Member

Mud-x

clubber
    Free Member

I used to run rakers. they’re very slightly better than mud x in mud but the mud x is such a great allrounder that I use them all year round.

Kryton57

Trail rakers for the very worstest slipperyest deepest crud, or as a front, Mud X for everything else / rear.

molgrips
    Free Member

I never really had a problem running Trailrakers on my local trails at least, although they could be a bit better on roots I suppose it never seemed a problem. I do get some pretty clay-ey gloop around here on some trails though.

Pros for TRs – I already have one, and they woudl appear to be good in mud and wear well

Cons for TRs – one just blew off the rim which makes me a bit annoyed, and they can’t be run tubeless

Pros for Mud-X – apparently better all round, can be run tubeless too

Cons for Mud-X – I’d need two.

Northwind

On which end? Really not a fan of the Mud X on the front, too abrupt to slide when it finds something it doesn’t want to stick to, which is too often. Fantastic on the back though. I end up with a swampthing on the front and mud x on the back when real mud comes a’calling.

On One are knocking out Dirty Dans for cheap just now, might be worth looking at.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mmm, haven’t really looked at Schwalbe.

*goes to look*

Hmm those are a great price but they look really draggy on road.. Not that I do much on road mind.

spooky_b329

Just buy one Mud X for the front, then there are no ‘cons’

iainc

I have ran trailrakers front and rear on the hardtail for past 4 or 5 yrs, from Septemenber till April. Natural soggy Mugdock and other west of Scotland stuff. Just ordered a pair of Mud X – wonder if it will be :

a) a revelation
    b) a dissapointment
    c) not much change

😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Trail rakers for the very worstest slipperyest deepest crud, or as a front, Mud X for everything else / rear.

+1 for this, but tend to go for trailrakers front and rear only in the wort somme like conditions. Find I need them on the back more to get up muddy steep bits, amazes me what can be ridden up with them on the back. Do enjoy the bike sliding around corners in the mud though so don’t tend to go for winter tyres until it gets properly bad.

Edit: have ran trailrakers tubeless with Stan’s kit before, they work just fine (or are you looking for an UST version?)

aftershock
    Free Member

Schwalbe Nobby Nics 2.35 front and rear, great handling and plenty of grip

Northwind

Someone’s looking for mud tyres and gets recommended Nics? That’s… interesting. Excellent dry conditions tyre while they last though.

chojin
    Free Member

My nics were fantastic on the slippery wet rocks of CYB this weekend, they really surprised me actually as I was prepared to meet my grizzly doom

Northwind

Aye, and that’s what they’re for but they’re very bad in mud- quite big, and low profile, so they don’t cut and they don’t shovel. (that’s even before the sharp edges wear off the knobs and they lose half their grip).

I do like ’em though. But if someone wants an alternative to a Mud X or Trailraker it’s not a Nic.

stevestunts
    Free Member

Mud X for me. I’d be happy to ride them all year round. If they made a 2.2″ version I’d use those in summer and the 2 inchers in winter.

I end up doing quite a lot of road miles between trails, and I’ve never thought of them as feeling draggy, which the Trailrakers certainly do. The TRs also squirm unnervingly on tarmac. They’re not a bad tyre, I just prefer the Mud X.

molgrips
    Free Member

Edit: have ran trailrakers tubeless with Stan’s kit before, they work just fine

I did a couple of rides on Trailrakers with Stans a few times, but then I read that they are expressly not recommended because of the loose bead, they have a habit of blowing off the rim it seems. The fact it happened to me with tubes makes me even less confident.

I use 1.8 Nics as wet race tyres. Fast but only just grippy enough for the likes of Mayhem.

Dirty Dans on On One’s site for £20 look pretty persuasive though, tubeless compatible and only 440g or something.

Northwind

Is there not another Bonty that people recommend that’s sort of an intermediate? Don’t know their range but XR2, XR4 maybe?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ran them on stans rims which are always quite a tight fit so that may have helped.

rewski
    Free Member

I find spesh storms have the edge on Mud X, especially when mud is on the dry side. Stay away from Bonty XR3’s. A lot of space between the tread and compound too soft for me, torn to shred coming down flinty SD.

spooky_b329

Bonty Jones ACX is quite close to the Mud X, and I’ve been using a pair for all year round use for a couple of years.

spooky_b329

Bonty Jones ACX is quite close to the Mud X, and I’ve been using a pair for all year round use for a couple of years.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

spooky_b329 – Member

in looks yes, but in performance very different tyres,

uplink
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use any of the standard Panaracers tubeless, as you mentioned they are far too slack

andywill

Bonty XR4’s do clog a bit in mud so wouldn’t recommend as a mud tyre, but it is a great 3 season trail tyre.

njee20
    Free Member

I bought some of the On-One Dirty Dans, they look good. Look very similar to a Mud X, pukka 2011 boxed stock, mine was 452g and 453g IIRC. Be interested to see how they work.

I’m a big fan of Mud Xs, I suspect I’ll keep the Dans for wet races, Mud Xs wear pretty quickly IMO, I suspect that by shaving 150g out of them the Dans will last seconds on hard trails!

Nobby

njee20 – Member
    I bought some of the On-One Dirty Dans, they look good. Look very similar to a Mud X, pukka 2011 boxed stock, mine was 452g and 453g IIRC. Be interested to see how they work.

I’d be interested too – Will stick to Mud X for now though.

For real gloop the Black Shark 1.5s take some beating.

ransos
    Free Member

I found TRs to be dreadful on wet roots and rocks, but brilliant in deep mud. They’re also very draggy on the road. On balance, I reckon you lose more than you gain in all but the filthiest conditions.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Trailraker or Mud-X’ is closed to new replies.