Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Trail 29er – decisions decisions
  • trickride
    Free Member

First post here, have been lurking around a little while. Currently ride a Kona Scrap with a few minor upgrades which has been a fun ride but I think I’ve finally outgrown it. Alongside, the cycle to work scheme has come up, and I do often use the bike as part of my commute so I can use that to help replace it.

Looking at new complete bikes, and I can salvage the few bits I want form the kona to bring forward (hope mono m4’s, saint cranks and bb). I started off looking at the cube reaction but I’m 6’3″ and a few stone heavier than I should be and enjoy riding the heavy stuff – not really looking for an XC race bike. I want a relatively heavy duty 29er for some rough trail riding and surrey hills.

Two main bikes in the running at the moment:
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Orange Clockwork

On both bikes I’d be looking to upgrade the fork to the 120mm Fox Float which can be done as part of the factory builds. Unfortunately that pushes the SC up to well over £2k, which is going to be a tough sell.

Definitely going to take a ride on a couple tomorrow – but any opinions on these bikes? Am I missing another gem I havent discovered yet?

timc
    Free Member

revised clockwork due in a few months apparently

mwotsit
    Free Member

Took delivery of my clockwork s 2 weeks ago with the fork upgrade you mention. Likewise at 6’2 and on tge larger side the frame looks more than capable of withstanding the punishment I intend to dish out. It’s a great handling bike and the fork is ace Plush straight ‘out the box’. Have heard on the grapevine of a new frame, depends if you must have it? then wait…. But why wait when you could be riding??

curvature
    Free Member

I got my Clockwork S around 3 months ago and it sits alongside my Five.

Both bikes run similar specs –

XT/XTR
    Hope Hoops – Flow on the Five and Crests on the Clockwork.
    Hope X2

I seem to ride the Clockwork more just because it climbs so well and isn’t much slower down hill.

I didn’t have the fork upgrade on my Clockwork and to be honest will not do this for some time if at all. The basic Rockshox work rather well. I spent the upgrade money on the wheels and XT bits.

My only concern is whether the Crests are a little too light for my style of riding. I may end up having an Arch or Flow rim out on the back as it does take a hammering.

It’s not the lightest of bikes but I think this is the frame, forks and original wire beaded tyres (which went up tubeless with a track pump).

andycs

Cotic Solaris, Trek Stache 8, Kinesis FF29.

st

Trek Stache 7 here. The 8 comes with a spec closer to what I think you’re after and under 2 grand.

They’re fairly long in the top tube so good for taller riders and mine looks durable enough and so far is proving good fun to ride.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Trance x29er.

nuke

Been thinking about a Clockwork myself and was having a look at one yesterday in my lbs…looked good. Nice long tt on the CW, Highball too short for me.

Difficult to find frame weight for the CW…sub 4lb like a Scandal 29er (which is another good option)???

Any more details of the revisions on the new CW frame?

boxelder

If I’d not got a full sus SH I would definitely get the Solaris. With RSrevs and an slx build, it shouldn’t break the bank. I’m sure Cy will do frame, forks and some bits on the cycle to work.
    I’ve an on one scandal 29, which is much more than a light xc race frame.
    Yeti big top if going up market

danielhawtin
    Free Member

I have a 3 week old big top frame for sale. Inbox me if interested.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Trail 29er – decisions decisions’ is closed to new replies.