Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tradesmen, Plumbers in particular [RANT]
  • Dales_rider
    Free Member

Well the 28+ year old boiler is just about dead, I could fix it but the 2 parts that are totally goosed are nigh on £500 to buy, so bought a new boiler.
    Easy bit done.
    Then in order to get the extended 5 year warranty it has to be signed of by a “Competent” person.
    Still OK with that, being a trained sparky up as far as 16th edition regs I can understand the needs to comply.
    So first one contacted “It will be next spring” WHY THE **** WASTE MY TIME TRYING TO BOOK IT IN YOU’RE TAKING THE ****
    So thinking about the job and knowing what it entails, having moved my current boiler 15 years ago, I reckon it would take me about 10 hours so next one arrives [plumber that is]
    “It would be £450 to do”, then his mate pipes up “oh and I’d just charge an hourly rate of £30 be about £200 for me” “Oh and parts on top”
    NOW THAT IS DEFINITELY TAKING THE ****

Rant over, thank you

wwaswas

now you know how we all feel about “trained sparky’s” 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

What you need is a British Gas Maintenance Plan*

*Not really.

bruneep

How much to rewire my house,when can you do and what’s your hourly rate?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not to mention your installing at the busiest time of year.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

bruneep – Member

How much to rewire my house,when can you do and what’s your hourly rate?

I would charge you a decent price, if I were to take the job on, would be JIB hourly rates and parts at cost and I would be happy.
    But thats not going to happen as I no longer do jobs since the advent of part P of the building regs, which all it did was up my annual costs by a minimum of £3,000 before I did a single job.

Anyways I have 2 other plumbers which have quoted £300 for the complete job, which is what I was thinking of as a price so I will have heating and hot water once again in the next couple of days.

winston_dog
    Free Member

IME Sparks are the most expensive of the domestic trades by a long way.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have just done an en-suite and changed to a pressurised water system so had a plumber, heating engineer and sparky in – I thought the sparky was the most reasonably priced – and I didn’t get a quote up front either so just had to trust him to charge fairly.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

winston_dog – Member

True thats why I do all my own, But there shouldnt be any reason why a Sparky should charge more than £20 an hour £30 tops.

Freester

7 out of 10.

Good use of lower and UPPER case.

Shame profanities are complete asterisked out. Retain coherence throughout. Would have like to have seen a loss of coherence near the end.

Good effort.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“True thats why I do all my own, But there shouldnt be any reason why a Sparky should charge more than £20 an hour £30 tops.”

First rule of business isnt it … Charge as much as you can get away with. So long as your busy who gives a stuff… If you cant get work lower your prices.

xcneil
    Free Member

I do like these threads, I’m niceic registered as approved contractor and jib graded approved electrician, I charge £25/hr plus £5/hr for my apprentice. I find with domestic no one wants to pay, glad I don’t deal with domestic installations. Now commercial/industrial I get told I’m to cheap ! …… just saying

takisawa2

Do it yourself…?
    I did.
    Had a plumber come & connect the gas, check it all & commission it.
    Hanging the boiler, putting in the flue, changing all the pipework round from a tank to combi system was straightforward enough.
    Quite rewarding actually.
    Not a job I’d want to do full time though, & I’m always happy to pay a trained tradesman the going rate provided he’s not taking the pee; but sometimes I quite enjoy taking on an intresting project.
    Now, cue flaming for daring to open the airing cuboard door without being in a British Gas service plan, with Hive remote heating system… 😉

richc
    Free Member

Not in my experience, plumbers are the most expensive, most likely to take the piss and most likely to take shortcuts.

All the electricians I’ve used have been pretty reasonable tbh.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

takisawa2 – Member

Do it yourself…?

Seriously considering it, I’ve just power flushed the system a radiator at a time and refilled so as no muck gets into the new boiler. So if this plumber doesnt turn up this evening I will be.

xcneil – Member

I’m niceic registered as approved contractor and jib graded approved electrician, I charge £25/hr plus £5/hr for my apprentice.

Thats OK and what I’d expect to pay knowing the costs of being self employed.

McHamish
    Free Member

7 out of 10.

Good use of lower and UPPER case.

Shame profanities are complete asterisked out. Retain coherence throughout. Would have like to have seen a loss of coherence near the end.

Good effort.

Yes, I think he lost a point with the “Rant over, thank you” – too polite. It would have been better if he had ended his post with ‘**** you all!*, or “You’re all *****, the lot of you!”…or just plain “********”.

BigJohn

My rate is £25 an hour, working solo.

If the customer wants to watch, it goes up to £50 an hour. If they want to help, it’s £100 an hour.

Freester

Yes, I think he lost a point with the “Rant over, thank you” – too polite. It would have been better if he had ended his post with ‘**** you all!*, or “You’re all *****, the lot of you!”…or just plain “********”.

Absolutely. Finishing off something like

How much? HOW FIRCKIN HARD cAn it be and hoW LONG CAn it TAKE to Fxi a broilarggfghhhh

Would have got nearer full marks.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Well the weeks nostalgia will soon be over, boiling water on the stove for a bath, lighting the fire every morning and sitting watching tele in your coat. A very nice plumber turned up last night said I can do it Saturday and it will take about 4 hours.
    Downside will be that we wont have to go to the pub every night to get warm.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tradesmen, Plumbers in particular [RANT]’ is closed to new replies.