Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Track bike chains – please educate me
  • cinnamon_girl

Presumably they are specific due to strength needed? Joining pins? What to go for?

Thanks. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The loads aren’t going to be particularly high, the big chainrings mean less load than say a MTB SS with a 32t chainring (or a BMX with a micro drive). In fact I’d be surprised if the ‘average’ slightly tubby SS’er doesn’t put higher shock loads on the chain pedalling over rough ground than Hoy manages in the velodrome.

All my SS’s have KMC chains of various descriptions. Avoid SRAM PC-1 or whatever their track/SS chain is called. Resist the temptation to run the widest chain possible, they’re not stronger, just heavier (longer pins, same plates) and the width supposedly works against them allowing the chain to rock slightly on the sprockets causing them to break (and obviously don’t go too narrow or it wont fit).

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for replying tinas. Funny you should mention Sram PC1 as I think that is what he’s broken. Sounds as though KMC would be a good bet then. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

izumi for track chains ime (of building many others track bikes for folks that have gone on to bigger things)

theotherjonv

Whatever Robert Forsterman had on his toaster bike. I can’t imagine anyone putting as much load through as that.

dbcooper
    Free Member

Renold make the track bike chains for british cycling. If only they would sell them to the public.

Bruce

On my single speed I just use a reasonable quality 8 speed chain normally SRAM or KMC with the joining link. I did use a BMX chain when I first started but that snapped leaving Mrs Bruce to tow me back to the car.

iainc

My Dolan came with a :

Chain
    Miche 1/8th Track Chain

kcal

track chains (AIUI) don’t have room for much flex sideways, on the assumption that the chainlink will be spot on. Aren’t the rollers a bit different as well on the same basis?

For SS I just use bog standard KMC as above – 8 speed FWIW. Works fine.

deejayen
    Free Member

I always used them on my fixies. I think they can be slightly noisier than some 3/32″ chains. The ones I used were joined by a threaded bolt (pin) with a square locknut securing it at the back of the chain. I never had any problems with the chains.

I used a double-sided hub with a large bailout sprocket on the other side. The difference between this sprocket and the normal one was sometimes greater than could be accommodated by the track ends, so I used to carry a short section of chain which could be screwed onto the main chain to extend its length.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks folks, more to think about. Chain broke in a group session, he did well not to hit anyone and at 6’4″ he could do some damage!

edhornby

I use KMC 510hx, not too pricy and dead strong

mick_r

For proper track I’d go for Izumi.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Track bike chains – please educate me’ is closed to new replies.