Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Towering mechanical ineptitude
  • 2tyred

I feel duty bound to share – replacing the sealed bearings in a track hub last night (a job I hadn't done before) I was all pleased with myself for taking the hub apart and removing the bearings with no difficulty.

Took the first new bearing out of its packet, lined it up in the hub, put one end of the axle through it then tapped it into place nice and flush. That was easy, I thought – so I repeated the process on the other side.

Felt much less clever as I realised I'd fitted both bearings and was still holding the axle in my hand.

My best effort for some time.

😳

Marge
    Free Member

I nearly beat that one.
    I bought some brakes from someone on here not so long ago & finally got round to building the bike they were destined for up at the weekend.
    As I live on the continent I'm used to having my brakes the 'wrong' way round now (rear on the right), so the first thing I did was swap the hose connections over, ruining what felt like perfectly bled brakes.

As I began to fit the rear brake to the bike I realised that they were the British way round!
    The original owner must have preferred his brakes continental style so I never needed to change them over in the first place.
    Fortunately they bled easily enough (thanks Shimano) but didn't stop me feeling a bit of of kn0b… 😳

D0NK

rebuilt my bombers the other week and managed to leave the bushing out of one of the legs when I rebuilt them, then I stripped and rebuilt and this time left a spacer out that I had fitted first time. Grrrr.

wwaswas

I managed to slide the lowers onto my fox's the wrong way round last time I serviced them.

I'd managed to pour all the fluids in prior to whipping them out the vice to have a good look and then gently placing my head in my hands.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

I just can't get the spring tension on my front CR720's to balance and I appear to have rounded off one of the adjusting screws. 🙁

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I forgot to put the top-out springs back in my Bomber Z1s last time I serviced and oil changed them. Got 20mm extra travel! top out clunk noise was annoying.

firestarter
    Free Member

i wanted to build my surly single speed hub onto a new rim so to save time just cut all the spokes off then realised i couldnt get the spokes in with the cog there or remove the cog without the wheel 🙁 took ages and some damage in a vice to get it off in the end id have been quicker taking it apart 🙂

charliedontsurf

Kid stopped by our shop. New Front sus Mongoose mountainbike for a christmas present. suspension forks back to front, and QRs not done up, just on the brink of popping off. I asked who had built the bike, and his Dad said santa did it.

On the plus side I sorted it out in 2 mins and they gave me a bottle of wine.

Not super funny, but effin dangerous, and possibly natural selection.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Towering mechanical ineptitude’ is closed to new replies.