• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • EX-ternal BBs – Which one from where?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Are they all the same. Are Shimano as good as any other. Who makes the best etc.

Must fit my new SLX cranks

Cheers

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Hope. My mates had one on for a while. Not a creak so far.

snakebite
    Free Member

Got a King, 5 year warrant etc, not a creak after 6 months….

singlespeedstu

King from Aspire Velo.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Since you scrimped ont he cranks, I assume you want cheap.

Too cheap = crap (pooperstar)

Shimano's the best bet.

nickc

My Hope ones have been fine so far, and despite Swinley the other week, they're still spinning smoothly

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

CK is more than I paid for the cranks!

soma_rich
    Free Member

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

You've not got much to say about this then Rich?

Conespanner

I have an new HTII from a XT crank that wasn't needed, yours £22 posted?

cp

i've just replaced my xt which lasted a year with a deore unit from CRC for 18 quid.

the cups and plastic spacer look identical, the bearing covers are different, not taken it apart to see what differences (if any) there are to the bearings.

40mpg

I just replace the bearings with some from the internet. Costs about a fiver a pair and last 6 months of sandy sloppy mud, so much cheaper in the long run.

tinsy
    Free Member

yup I did what 40mpg and cp did, bought a deore runs fine on my XT, and bought a set of new bearings off fleabay and re built the old XT so I got a spare in my box.. about £25 for 2 BB's..

HarYuken
    Free Member

Hope working very well for me.

grumm
    Free Member

Did the SLX cranks not come with a BB? Mine did.

cp

yeah, I need to break apart the XT bb and stick some cheap bearings in. I'll just get some cheapy ones online I reckon, then I'll have a cheap spare for when the deore one goes.

cp

WCA has a thread that his new cranks didn't have a b/b, which is why they were so cheap.

Crag
    Free Member

For those with the king, how easy is the regreasing?
    Justbought one for the new build – looks very durable and far better sealed in comparison to the shimano offerings btw

dobo
    Free Member

i'm trying a cheap deore one instead of an XT, lets see how long this lasts, if it goes 6 months then no more XT BB's for me. not exactley sure how deore slx xt xtr differ for BB's

got mine from ribble, less than £15 if spend > £50 still cheap if not

should mention i also have an XT with ebay bearings on the go and an XT, so should be interesting

alexonabike

+1 for Hope

juan
    Free Member

email me your address (or the post code I'l ltry to put one in the post for you)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘EX-ternal BBs – Which one from where?’ is closed to new replies.