Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • tow bar racks
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

Finally got fed up with a fiamma bike rack for my van (it's the 2 bike barn door version that hooks onto the 1 door) So i've had a tow bar fitted today.

been looking at the options and 2 makes spring out

thule and atera.

Now I think the atera is great, has very good reviews but expensive. I've seen a couple of thule one's

The Thule 9503 (£103)

and the thule g5 909 (£319)

The only difference between those thule one's (as far as i can tell) is the amount they carry. 9503 being 45kg and the 909 51kg. Can i justify an extra £217 to carry 6kg?

The atera strada 3 I really like the sound of as it's lockable and 'looks' easier to operate.. but £324!!

So anyone got either of the racks i've mentioned or can recommend?

steveh

http://www.aistoncycleracks.co.uk

I've owned these pendle and thule and would now only use one of these. Solid, well built and nice to use. They don't fold flat or anything for storage tho. The website is basic but the buy who makes them is great.

mtbfix

I use a Pendle wheel support and would happily recommend one though I would recommend the new tipping one so you can get at the boot contents. Not mega cheap but very sturdy and, in truth, a £300 rack is less than mosts suspension forks and will last for ages.

timc
    Free Member

I have a Thule G5 908 (2 Bike) which cost me £250 new.

great bit of kit, No problems after 6 months. Takes up a bit of storage space mind!

spyke85
    Free Member

I have the 9502, the 2 bike version. Went for it because it was cheaper than the others but had no problems at all. Was fitted on a Seat Ibiza and was extremely stable and will now be being used on the Transporter.

stumpyjon

I've got the 909 plus extension bit so I can carry up to four bikes. Brilliant bit of kit. Expensive but so far worth every penny.

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

We have the 9503 on a Clio, no issues at all, it's well up to the job.

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

Just ordered the Thule 9403 Rideon from here:

http://www.roofracks.co.uk/main/cycleracks_rear2-3.htm

Damaged box, brand new: £89.00.

Seems good deal to me.

🙂

timc
    Free Member

£89… Amazing deal

trickydisco
    Free Member

What i'm trying to work out is why the thule 909 is so much more expensive than the rideon one? (£217 more expensive)

spyke85
    Free Member

Just out of interest, why did you get fed up with the Fiamma?

Got a T5 tailgate and was considering towbar or Fiamma.

trickydisco
    Free Member

The fiamma one is good if you've got the tailgate model but i've got the barn door version. What i've found is it's taken paint off the door from sliding and i've noticed it only hangs on the 1 strut at times.

PLus it only takes 2 bikes and i'd like the option of 3 as most of the time i end up driving as i have the van

Andituk
    Free Member

909 attachment system is much better than the 9503. I've got a 908, and including connecting the electrics, it's fitted and ready to take a bike in <30s. You just place it on the ball and push the lever down. It then locks, which I don't think the 9503 does without an optional extra. The bike locks to the rack too, don't think the 9503 does that either.

adam_h
    Free Member

Got a 9503, it's great! Done a few thousand mile with it now and had no problems at all. I run a cable lock through all the frames and around the towbar to stop people just lifting the bikes straight off.

If I had a load of spare cash, I probably would have gone for the more expensive one, but I paid about £100 for the rack and the 957 lock (to lock the rack to the towball), can't beat it for that price imo.

Tiger6791

I've got the Thule 3 bike cheapy one (£120 ish)

Bloody brilliant, it tilts so I can still open the boot and it's strong enough for 16st of me to stand on the end and jump on it. (testing)

I've had back door mounted and ones that slot into a plate on the towbracket. This one clamps to the to towball and is super sturdy, best rack I've had.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have the 9503, a mate the other one (or similar). The more expensive one is a bit nicer – the bike just clamps on, whereas it's toe-straps on the cheaper one. Also I think you can tilt it with a lever, whereas the cheap one you have to unscrew two hand-screws. So, some mild extra convenience for sure, but it's three times the price.

That's why I went for the 9503. It's excellently solid, well made and does the job superbly well for the money.

BigJohn

Are the ball mount ones as secure as the ones with all the scaffolding stuck to your car?

falkirk-mark

I have the 9503 and it is tight enough on the towball. On sunday I had an orange 5,Kona Shred and a session 8 on mine with no problems. Had it for about 4 years now, one of the best bits of kit for the cash I have.

MadBillMcMad

I had a pendle 2 bike rack for years – great, built like a tank, only disadvantage is its weight and it rusted.

I needs to carry 3 or 4 bikes and went for the Atera.
    It is light and easy to carry about,
    but it has two disadvantages over the pendle.
    1) with 3 or 4 bikes you need luggage straps secured to the car roofrails to stop the carrier twisting on corners.
    2) it is a devil to thread the frame holders. you have to get the order of bikes onto the rack just right.

No idea but the thule might also have both these issues. the pendle will not.
    If you do not mind the weight I would go with the tilting pendle. The Atera tilts and that is a very useful feature.

If you buy the pendle grease the sliders to stop them rusting up.

tonyg2003

I have a 9503 and agree that it's good. The 909 is a great piece of kit but fitting the boys small bike onto the 909 was impossible with our bikes. The 9503 is flexible in this regard.

In terms of locking I'm not convinced that the thule 909 lock would stop a determined thief. I try never to leave the bikes on the rack when I'm not around but if I do I have a bloody big motorbike chain.

The only issue with the 9503 is the tilt function is very poor compared to the 909.

Wally

Decathlon do a Mottez version, cheap, heavy, very solid, 2/3/4 bikes.
    I have no worries with mine, very secure with lock holes and the like.

molgrips
    Free Member

The Thule suggests you clean the towbar with de-greaser before fitting it. I've not had to do that so far since I've not towed anything yet 🙂

You can clamp it realyl rock solid though, so I dunno if it'll be an issue.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I had a pendle 2 bike rack for years – great, built like a tank, only disadvantage is its weight and it rusted.

I needs to carry 3 or 4 bikes and went for the Atera.
    It is light and easy to carry about,
    but it has two disadvantages over the pendle.
    1) with 3 or 4 bikes you need luggage straps secured to the car roofrails to stop the carrier twisting on corners.
    2) it is a devil to thread the frame holders. you have to get the order of bikes onto the rack just right.

No idea but the thule might also have both these issues. the pendle will not.
    If you do not mind the weight I would go with the tilting pendle. The Atera tilts and that is a very useful feature.

Did you get the atera 2 or 3 and then added the extra carrier? Bit concerned about these extra straps you need. Wondered if this because of the adapter?

Why would the pendle not have the same issues. Does it have a different clamping system?

I haven't got roofrails either as it's going on a transporter t4

Radioman

I have a pendle wheel support heavy duty rack..had it 3 years. I have carried 3bikes (heavy DH bike & 2 other fairly heavy ones (SXtrail) and hardrock) all the way to Austria, France and Scottish Highlands. Absolutely no issues with it and very strong indeed. IMO any rack that relies on straps to hold it in place for cornering is too weak.

igm

I have the Atera 3 – excellent rack at £250 when I bought it but at £324… not sure.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Hi,

I've got a 9403 for the car and have a T4 outside with a tow bar fitted. I reckon the tilt feature on any rack won't work with barn doors but can try it tomorrow if you want? Drop me a line to remind me, mail in profile.

As for the 9403, it's grown on me. £90 in Halfords years ago. Used to dislike that the straps were soo easy to loose but 'cheap' straps are great if you run rubber bigger than 2.3", mates with more expensive Thule roof bars struggle and have to deflate tyres to get the plastic straps to engage properly. Thule also replace some lost straps for a donation to charity which was nice. Agree that the lock is not going to stop anyone with a hammer taking the rack but never left the car + bikes anywhere that would be an issue.

bruneep

+1 for the aiston rack.

DaveE

+1 for Pendle but have modified to Aiston uprights instead of straps.
    Best of both worlds.

MadBillMcMad

trickydisco,

The atera & thule clamp over the ball, the pendle has a slot thingy that fits behind the tow ball, IE it does not work with a goose neck style, only the bolt on witter style.

The atera only needs the straps when you have 4 & possibly 3 bikes.
    I bought the 3+1 carrier.

sweepy
    Free Member

Just to throw another hat into the ring
    http://www.bak-rak.com/
    No direct experience but they look interesting

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Thanks for that link, the question now is, do i *need* a winch on the back of my car? Probably.

boxelder

I've got a Thule 9503 on a barn door VW T5.
    For the money, it seems great, however:
    It's designed for use on cars with sloping rears, so you'll need to turn the bars to get a mountain bike on the inner most position. You'll probably need to loosen/adjust a few things on the bikes to get three on. Folds fairly small for storage and comes with light board etc.

sweepy
    Free Member

I liked the dog kennel, dog not so keen tho 😆

boxelder

I've got a 9403 for the car and have a T4 outside with a tow bar fitted. I reckon the tilt feature on any rack won't work with barn doors but can try it tomorrow if you want?

On a T5, the barn doors open when the rack is tilted (loosening the bolt on the 9403), but obviously not with bikes attached – you'd need an extra 3 feet or so of clearance for that!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Was fed up with a standard rack destroying the back of my car so I got the Atera Strada 3 Bike and it is fantastic. Probably the best bike accessory I have ever bought. Expensive but I think you get what you pay for.

warton
    Free Member

got 9502 rideon, does the job. for the money I really can't complain at all

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

altera strada 2 here
    expensive but worth it
    folds and fits in the boot of a vw golf 😀

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I have the 9503 for about a year now and its excellent. Thule also do a lock for the securing bolt so you can lock the carrier to the towball, and then use a normal bike chain lock to secure the bike to the carrier.
    Never moves an inch when mounted and Ive had three big bikes on. The tilt function is great and I can open the back of my A4 avant with bikes on.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘tow bar racks’ is closed to new replies.