Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Touring in Poland?
  • RustySpanner

Anyone any experience?

Just back from a non bikey week in Krakow and very, very impressed with the place.

Polish mates have recommended Gdansk or Zakopane for a bike trip – different ends of a big country, but both appeal in their own ways.

Any practical experience of campsites, road safety outside the big cities and general suitability would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

donald
    Free Member

I can’t help all that much, I’ve only done two days in Poland, from Krakow to the Czech border. We were following the Krakow Vienna greenway. As a touring route it was a bit frustrating in that it meandered about all over the place and we got on a bit better when we left the marked route and took to the backroads. I don’t remember the traffic being that bad but we avoided busy roads. We stayed in hotels. I don’t think there’s much in the way of cycle touring infrastructure so you need to sort out quiet roads yourself. Good value and cheap beer though.

From what I’ve read the north east lake district seems to be really nice touring country and the Baltic coast can get busy in summer. It’s got big mountains in the south and flat plains in the north.

akkwlsk
    Free Member

Hi!

I don’t know how many kms you want your tour to be, but I would most definitely recommend Kujawy (central-north, close to the seaside area). Just check google for photos. From there, you can go to Gdansk (and Tripolis) which is basically like Krakow on the seaside. Another great city near Kujawy is Torun and castle in Malbork. You can have a great trip based on those locations.

If you want to do some sightseeing based on well-known locations be aware, that during summer holidays those places are VERY crowded. Kujawy on the other hand is peaceful and quiet with beautiful nature.

Cheers from Poland!

RustySpanner

God, I love this place.

Thanks folks.

Up to 80k a day if flattish, half that if hilly and we’re camping. 🙂

Expecting crowds, Krakow was packed even in November. Great place,, most beautiful and fun European city I’ve been too.

Time for a bit more research…..

Eddiethegent

Was in Zakopane this Wednesday/Thursday. Beautiful place. Lots of cheap accommodation although I’d imagine it would get busy in the middle of summer.

Didnt see a single cyclist while I was there, but like I say, it was out of season.

rickmeister

This summers hols in northern Poland was probably one of our best. Went to the Masuren area up near the Russian border at Wegorzewo then out east and west from Gdansk.

The Masuren was flat-ish with great countryside and easily found accommodation and camping. Felt very safe and hassle free. Loads of WW2 history there if you like that sort of thing, boats on lakes that take bikes, great food and a really chilled atmosphere. Maps available are accurate and laminated so travelled well.

East – west of Gdansk was fatbike heaven along the Baltic coast. Miles of beaches and trails through villages up and along the Russian border.

EuroVelo routes are well marked, people very welcoming and absolutely no stress at all. Plus, great value…

On the back of this trip we are looking at the Pomeranian coast or Estonia for next year

IMG_20180721_102012

IMG_20180722_131829

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Masuren

Yes. Great, great area! Quite some canoe tourism going on – but still lakes around which you have for yourself.

“Summer” and “Baltic Sea”: fantastic beaches … very relaxed. But appears like 90 percent of the population moves to the beaches in summer time to have a party.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Touring in Poland?’ is closed to new replies.