Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Touring chainset
  • matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab’s current hybrid is on 50/39/30 FSA Vero (165mm) with 11-32 Shimano 8sp Cassette. All about dead and worn out, now jumping chain on occasion. Mrs_oab is losing some strength and so some more winch up the hill gearing will be appreciated.

I have dropped on the cheap Microshift Marvo, so now have 11-34 Cassette, chain and Marvo mech in 9 speed flavour.
    I already have 9sp STX & Deore Shifters in the spares box, plus a switchable XT 3sp or 2sp left hand.

Chain set options:
    Spa Cycles XD2 in 48/38/28
    Stronglight Impact on 46/34/24
    (both would also knock 5mm off length of crank, ideal for her mini legs)

I could of course also change the chainrings on the FSA cranks we currently have – but this seems more in cost than buying a new chain set complete.

Despite the extra cost, I am tempted to go the Stronglight which gives 8t lower bottom end but only loses 4t at top end.

Thoughts?
    Anywhere else to look other than Spa for touring chainsets of short arm variety?

timf

I have a 46/34/24 from Spa on one of my touring type Bikes and I like it alot, nice low gear for getting over alpine passes with luggage and high enough for riding without luggage. Get the right length BB to match your front mech chainline.

simondbarnes

I went 22/32/44 on my touring bike, you can never have gears that are too low so out of the options you have up there I’d go for the Stronglight. 46t outer is plenty high enough on a hybrid (I’m quite happy with the 46t on my cx bike that gets used plenty on the road)

ampthill

Spa cycles will build any ratios that will fit, for the same cost. I phoned them on a Wednesday and had a 28 40 chainset on the Friday

matt_outandabout

Ah, worth knowing. I might call them with BCD of the existing crank and ask what they can build as a 3x in short arm… I would rather spend now and get it lower at the bottom end – the issue being that coming down same said hills means we need the top end if possible.
    She never carries panniers, just a bar bag and seat bag, this is more as she struggles with some hills.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.