Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Tour de France 2020 Stage 2 – Nice Haut Pays > Nice
  • lunge

Here we are again, the race goes on after a treacherous day yesterday.
    More hills today, but hopefully less rain. Racing starts at 13:20 local time I think.
    Whats in store?

The Route: Stage 2 and solid day in the Alps with two long climbs and beaucoup climbing metres, this is an important stage. Why such a tough day so early? Because Nice is sat between the Alps and the sea, it’s not like there’s much other choice and besides these inland roads are very inviting, they’re staples of Paris-Nice.

It’s 45km up the valley roads and straight into the Colmiane. It’s become a regular in Paris-Nice and at 16km it’s a long, steady ascent where you get into a tempo and hardly change gear, just stand on pedals for a few ramps and to round some of the hairpins. There’s a reciprocal descent.

The Turini is next, 15km at a bit steeper and more irregular in places. The descent via Peïra-Cava and Lucéram starts with regular roads but rough in parts and it’s later down that the twisty section comes. After Peïra-Cava the race forks left and the technical part begins with a series of hairpins cut into the rock before reaching Lucéram. Pass this and the road gradually levels off into Nice, the road is more engineered and if there are hairpins they’re the kind trucks can take quickly.

They ride into Nice and head for the Col d’Eze. The climb is 7.8km at 6.1% but with a steep start of 7-8% for the first two kilometres. Once past the Col, they take the Moyenne Corniche descent back to Nice, it’s very familiar from Paris-Nice. They cross the finish line and climb the Col d’Eze again with the same steep start but this time they turn off before the top, at the Col des Quatre Chemins. Here is the day’s special bonus point, a time bonus of 8-5-2 seconds for the first three. The descent is on familiar roads from Paris-Nice too.

The Finish: the Paris-Nice finish, the same roads as used in recent editions of the spring stage race, its downhill off the climb. The official profile shows a small rise with 1km to go but this is barely a bump in the road with a flat run along the promenade.

Who’s in the mix?

The Contenders: not an easy day for a breakaway because nobody wants to lose time, miss the move today and many teams can waive goodbye to taking the yellow jersey before it becomes the property of the overall contenders. At the same time today’s climbs are so big many sprinters should be dropped.

Julian Alaphilippe (Deceunick-Quickstep) is the obvious pick, he can win sprints from a group and is capable of launching on either of the two final climbs. But he’ll be heavily marked.

Alexey Lutsenko (Astana) good on terrain like today and Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) used to be an obvious pick. Marc Hirshi (Sunweb) and Tiesj Benoot have decent chances today, Hirschi’s very quick from a small group and Benoot has the punch. Sergio Higuita (EF) is a fast finisher but would prefer an uphill finish. Matej Mohorič (Bahrain-McLaren) is quick, famous for his descending which helps today he won a stage of the Deutschland Tour from a big group. UAE Emirates probably won’t wait for Kristoff, instead Tadej Pogačar and Davide Formolo are cards to play, David de la Cruz’s won a stage of Paris-Nice on the same roads but fractured his pelvis. Greg Van Avermaet (CCC) and Daryl Impey (Mitchelton-Scott) might be able to hold today or get back on the descents, and an outside chance Bryan Coquard (B&B Hotels-Vital Concept) too.

Wout van Aert (Jumbo-Visma) is a stealth pick because he’s unlikely to follow Alaphilppe over the Col d’Eze as if it’s the Poggio but if things come back together he can sprint and take the win. Also Primož Roglič is a candidate in case the GC contenders turn on each other early and make this an early selection.

Max Schachmann (Bora-Hansgrohe) was going to be today’s pick from months out but an Italian motorist emerged from a garage or driveway onto the course of Il Lombardia and took him out, cracking his collarbone. He’s racing but today’s surely too much now.

And as ever, a wee look back at yesterdays fun and games.
    France.

Slippery when wet

Sagan

Non.

Kirstoff, no-one’s pick.

Loads more pics at CyclingTips

anagallis_arvensis

Be nice to see Yates in a break today, it looks like his sort of stage. Not sure he’ll get the rope to go yet though. Fringe GC riders like him will still be marked

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

GVA’s GOOOOOOOOOLD bike is just yum.

lunge

WvA for me today.
    Profile looks good for him and he’ll be towards the front looking after Roglic anyway.

Sandwich

I can confirm that the two big climbs are hard work, though the head of the pack are going up Turini around twice the speed I could manage!!

anagallis_arvensis

Been a very relaxing afternoon watching a lovely stage today!

theotherjonv

that was some acceleration from Yates!

anagallis_arvensis

that was some acceleration from Yates!

shame about the final sprint!

cinnamon_girl

Exciting finish!

weeksy

Indeed. But he was never likely to bear Ala in that position

alpin
    Free Member

Bugger… Had Hirschi at 50/1……

Although I also had Alaphilippe at 9/2

anagallis_arvensis

Be nice to see Yates in a break today, it looks like his sort of stage.

Posted 7 hours ago

Just saying 😀😀

rOcKeTdOg

Yates was doing the anti maskers a favour there in the interview, I thought he was going to inhale it at one point.

winston
    Free Member

Superb stage with excitement all the way through and what a finish. I know Yates is uk but I have to admit I was very happy with Ala winning in that style!  Please please please let thus tour go all the way- they are all so race starved that everyone is hungry and that makes for great racing

scaredypants

I know old Carlton’s a bit annoying at times but he came up with a cracker on Alaphilippe’s attacking nature a while ago:

“All he’s missing is a dagger between his teeth” 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

“All he’s missing is a dagger between his teeth” 🙂

Oi there was only one Il Pirata !

scotroutes

Nice haut pehs? Was this stage in Dundee?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Two Jumbo thoughts…

One – they should have a change strip for the Tour, like Once used to.
    Two – Why did they spend so long stressing about at the front today? Seemed a wasted effort.

winston
    Free Member

Yeah feels like controlling the peloton is all a bit passe and its a new type of racing that has appeared. Ineos may have already worked that out but Jumbo seem to have fallen into a trap maybe.

stevious

That finish felt like watching Milan-Sanremo.

I know it’s a bit cliché to love Alaphillipe, but the way he raced today then broke into tears at the end is just the thing I’m here for.

Was good to see a much safer race today as well.

scaredypants

Oi there was only one Il Pirata !

I suspect he’d have approved – you have to admire the willingness to disrupt all the calculated strategy and “numbers” game

w00dster

Captain, my ill informed view, stressing on the front is about two things, you control those behind you (whom you consider your rivals), secondly your able to position yourself in what is considered the least risky road position.
    Roglic is really only racing Bernal in all honesty. He knows he can make time back against Ala and others in the time trial and higher mountains.

Kryton57

Alaphilipe is like a bit more talented Tommy Voekler, great to watch.

anagallis_arvensis

Roglic is really only racing Bernal in all honesty. He knows he can make time back against Ala and others in the time trial and higher mountains.

Didnt Ala win the TT last year?

Remains to be seen if Jumbo controlling things is the right choice or not, wonder if they will sit behind Quick Step now.

slowoldman

Didnt Ala win the TT last year?Didnt Ala win the TT last year?

Certainly did and he kicked off the attacks on The Plank finishing second to G if I remember correctly.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Tour de France 2020 Stage 2 – Nice Haut Pays > Nice’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM