Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,453 total)
  • Tottenham Riots
  • martinxyz
    Free Member

I wonder how many of the people rioting are followers.”My brother is going out to take part in it so i`m going along too”.

I wonder how many are doing it for the money.. with no views on anything that might be talked about in the news that may be to blame.

The talk of a few hundred people doing it makes me wonder how many are in it for a reason.

I personally just picture heaps of folk joining in for the craik.
    Am i going off on one and getting it all wrong here?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

by gift or annexation?

Annexation I think…. 😳

It’s on a disused tennis court above the underground car park. They’re going to have composting, beehives and a kiddies play area. I’m doing the posters. 😀

It’s a good mix of folk with various interests and particular skills. I’m going to be helping with disability accessibility, by making some raised beds which people in wheelchairs and those with limited mobility can work on. There’s talk of a pergola, and we’re having a harvest festival and a bonfire night bbq. All very exciting.

kimbers

have they built the worlds largest maccyDs in stratford yet, i dont think it would be bad if that got burnt

martinxyz
    Free Member

I wonder how many of the people rioting are followers.”My brother is going out to take part in it so i`m going along too”.

I wonder how many are doing it for the money.. with no views on anything that might be talked about in the news that may be to blame.

The talk of a few hundred people doing it makes me wonder how many are in it for a reason.

I personally just picture the majority of folk joining in for the craik.
    Am i going off on one and getting it all wrong here?

Stoner
    Free Member

It’s on a disused tennis court above the underground car park. They’re going to have composting, beehives and a kiddies play area. I’m doing the posters.

in a rare moment I actually agree with what you’re doing.
    All disused land that isnt contaminated should be made available for urban veg lots.

Oxboy
    Free Member

Nah it’s because they can and now the key point THEY ARE GETTING AWAY WITH IT dress it up any way you want I don’t buy it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well there is a bit of land out the back here, two mature trees growing on it, loads of grass and weeds; the local HA are saying the ground is ‘contaminated’ and can’t be used. So the area is locked up. 🙁

Truth is they don’t want the hassle.

What we’re using is a piece of otherwise useless waste ground, and putting growing boxes and raised beds in. I’ve got to secure my box tomorrow, as they get snapped up fast. All made from old pallets and scrap wood.

Going down tomoz to help clear up a load of stuff. I’ll post up pics of the progress.

It’s actually at the foot of this architectural beauty:

Nah it’s because they can and now the key point THEY ARE GETTING AWAY WITH IT dress it up any way you want I don’t buy it.

Well we have permission actually. It’s true. In fact it’s even encouraged!

I am perplexed why you have such a problem with it. 😕

donsimon
    Free Member

Kicking off in the impoverished borough of Ealing? 😕

mrmo
    Free Member

so when is it going to kick off in docklands?

kimbers

camden too

maxray
    Free Member

Yeah, wtf with the police doing fek. I feel for them tbh, it must be like having your hands tied getting baited relentlessly. The generations above these kids are the 80s rioters, probably encouraging them! Need to crush this I reckon, no more of this softness, why should we all have to hide indoors etc ?

Stoner
    Free Member

Going down tomoz to help clear up a load of stuff. I’ll post up pics of the progress.

do that.

PS I recommend lining the inside of your raised beds with plastic (like a bit of spare DPM sheet from a builder’s skip) to help retaint moisture in the soil. Keep the bed open to the earth to help worms in and out.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve thought of that, not sure exactly what I’ll be doing yet though, probbly have half and half; one half vegetables, the other flowers. We have a wormery. 🙂

This is how it looked before any planting started:

Just knackered old asphalt stuff, can’t be taken up because it’s just too massive a job, but there’s loads of planting boxes now full of all sorts of plants, vegetables etc. It looks fantastic, colour everywhere.

All a bit political though; bit of tension tonight toward the suggestion that we get some graffiti artists to go mad on the concrete wall. 😯

Tiger6791

What a bunch of chavy knobs.

Stoner
    Free Member

fred, oddly interested, but start another thread tomorrow. This thread’s for rioting.

Oxboy
    Free Member

‘What a bunch of chavy knobs.’

Who? Elfin and his gardening mates? 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

‘What a bunch of chavy knobs.’

Who? Elfin and his gardening mates?

That’s a bit unfair. Some of them are really quite Middle Class. 😐

Tiger6791

No, not Fred, but attacking asphalt with a spade is never gonna work.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Nick Clegg predicted it last year…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YItK1izQIwo[/video]

bdab
    Free Member

I bet many people moaning about police not controling this were moaning about police brutality a few months ago.

Jamie
    Free Member

Edit: Not really very helpful…..even for me.

crashbanggg
    Free Member

A tiger has been let out of the zoo.

Norton
    Free Member

This is incredible – total breakdown of civil society. Police have been so demoralised by liberal hadwringing over the years that they no longer undertsnd that their job is to protect the population and prevent criminality – I imagine the BNP will be picking up quite a few votes from this one when the backlash from the law abiding majority begins.

Tiger6791

Twitter says London Zoo ransacked, lots of Animals out.

Freeeeedom!

donsimon
    Free Member

This is incredible – total breakdown of civil society. Police have been so demoralised by liberal hadwringing over the years that they no longer undertsnd that their job is to protect the population and prevent criminality – I imagine the BNP will be picking up quite a few votes from this one when the backlash from the law abiding majority begins.

You’re not wrong, your argument is incredible.

chipps

I’m in Clapham Junction right now. TIve been here since 8.30. To be honest, I’ve not seen anyone rioting for any political or social purpose all evening. Mostly I have seen opportunists stealing trainers. I can wander out in a minute if you’d like and ask some folk, but I don’t reckon that there’s anyone out there with a banner or placard. I’ve just seen people with Foot Locker bags and boxes of phones.

Jamie
    Free Member

Following @PaulLewis, from the Guardian, on twitter. Sounds rough in Chalk Farm.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No not Fred, but attacking asphalt with a spade is never gonna work.

They’re scraping the weeds off the top. Underneath the asphalt is a sort of spongy mess, which retains moisture and the weeds love it.

Ideally we’d like to cover the whole lot with soil, but then you’ve got drainage issues to deal with and it would be logistically and economically impossible really.

It’s unlikely location; the Blackwall Tunnel Northern Approach is right next to us!

A strangely peaceful little spot though.

simonralli2
    Free Member

This isn’t good news from a biking point of view – from The Guardian

Hackney – worrying account from the Guardian’s Jason Rodrigues, who has just been accosted by youths on his way home:

I’ve just returned from Hackney riots and was ambushed just off Essex Road and had my bike snatched by a group of six masked teenagers waiting on Ecclesbourne Road who were shouting “take the bike, take the bike”.

I was forced to swerve away from them but crashed to the ground. Just as one of the thieves grabbed my bike from under me a red van raced screeched around the corner and smashed into a parked car. Two young men then got out and the man in passenger seat then put his hand in his pocket and threatened to pull a on knife on the thieves, accusing them of stealing his bike earlier.

A violent scuffle broke out and the thieves gave up the stolen bikes. Everyone seemed to walk away from the incident, but criminal minded local youths seem to be taking advantage of the lack of police presence due to trouble elsewhere.

wheelz
    Free Member

I’ve just seen people with Foot Locker bags and boxes of phones

Down with Foot Locker and mobile telecommunications companies. I’m with you brothers!

Stoner
    Free Member

bloody hell Simon. Werent you safer in Brazil!?

angryratio
    Free Member

Some poor bastard is working night security in that debenhams in london..

Tiger6791

So in some parts of the world people take to the streets and face government militia, torture and death to protest for basic human rights and liberty.

Britain it’s mainly because we want a new telly, an iphone and some Nike trainers from footlocker.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

I’m tooling up! I’m not taking any risks and I don’t care what any one thinks. Just have to choose me weapon now.

1) mini baseball bat
    2) crow bar
    3) Billy bat.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Still am – I am in São Paulo as we speak. Obviously there are a huge number of gun related murders here each year, and there are real limits on where it is safe to walk at night, even near our flat, but what I do not miss is the alcohol fuelled aggressiveness in bars and pubs.

Stoner
    Free Member

ah, would help if you put quotes in quotes Simon! 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

but what I do not miss is the alcohol fuelled aggressiveness in bars and pubs.

My brother lives in Athens, and it’s so weird, in a good way, that you can go to a bar and not have to worry about the ‘spill my pint’ mentality. Obviously fights happen, but never seen it yet, and seeing families walking about in town at 10pm is so refreshing given the war zones most UK city centres turn into.

bdab
    Free Member

I’m tooling up! I’m not taking any risks and I don’t care what any one thinks. Just have to choose me weapon now.

1) mini baseball bat
    2) crow bar
    3) Billy bat

take the lot . Good luck . I hear Turkish shop owners are using baseball bats, good on them seems they have more balls than many police out there.

piha
    Free Member

Reports of rioters entering private houses on Sky news atm.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ah right – no sooner said than done.

It is quite strange seeing your country fall apart when so far away. Obviously some reports on the news and in the papers, but it isn’t wall to wall as it will be back in Blighty.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,453 total)

The topic ‘Tottenham Riots’ is closed to new replies.