Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Totally British Bike
  • ddmonkey

Lots of options for the frame, I’m thinking Orange cos its even made here….

Orange Alpine
    Hope hoops
    Hope brakes
    Hope H/S
    Renthall bars and stem
    Middleburn cranks
    er….
    Marzocchi 55 Ti’s – are British aren’t they? At least they are not made in Asia 😉

I’m running out of ideas after that can anyone help fill in the gaps?

Just for fun at the moment but you never know 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

European is more doable than simply British, but still hard.

scotroutes

What countries are the materials made in?

wrecker
    Free Member

Hope pedals, seatpost, QRs & BB. Looks like it’ll be a singlespeed though….

weeksy

Why buy an expensive set of parts to build a bike that may not be any use for you ?

stevied
    Free Member

Don’t forget on the Hope Hoops that the rims will probably be French or American.

roverpig

I don’t think any Hope hoops use British made rims or spokes.

Highpath for the cassette? But the rest of the transmission could be tricky.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

I’ve thought about this before and the problem parts are:

Rims
    Spokes (and nipples)
    Tyres
    Tubes
    Chain/cassette/mechs/shifters

So it looks like it’ll be a single speed (but with no chain) that runs on the flanges of the hubs

If you open out to either European or UK companies not UK made you might get closer

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

sturmey archer!

d45yth
    Free Member

I’d once considered this, then thought what’s the point? I’d much rather buy the best/most suitable parts to fit a budget, regardless of who makes them.

brakes
    Free Member

if you buy stuff 2nd hand off eBay UK, does that count?
    your money effectively stays within the country and no non-UK parties are receiving any money.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Don’t forget on the Hope Hoops that the rims will probably be French or American Chinese. FTFY and the spokes are Belgian too.

ddmonkey

As I said – its just for fun, I was turning it over in my mind, I thought it would be hard :). No-one has mentioned forks yet, are any made in the UK?

I was stuck on the rims, rear mech, shifters, cassette. Can do Hope for the pedals now, I think DMR stuff is all manufactured in Asia but as a second tier option at least it is a British company / brand. Any other thoughts?

FWIW An Orange Alpine would be spot on for the kind of riding I do, I like the look of the recent proto. I have not owned a set of Hope brakes for years having gone the boring but brilliant shimano route but I love the way they look.

kcr
    Free Member

Where do the Hope bearings come from?

djglover
    Free Member

All italian road bike

That would be easy

ddmonkey

No rear shock options either. I think forks and shock would have to be European items, Marzocchi or BOS

fasthaggis

I think DMR stuff is all manufactured in Asia but as a second tier option at least it is a British company

Bit like

” I am a vegetarian,but I can eat fish,oh – and some chicken if it’s organic “

🙂

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Where were the old PACE forks made?

RoganJosh
    Free Member

What about some old pace forks?

Find a hardtail made in uk so you don’t have to deal with the shock drama

RoganJosh
    Free Member

And run it ss, with no rims or spokes, and just make your own saddle out of a sponge and some gaffer tape

ads678

If you spread it to European you could add in DT swiss, at least their forks used to be British (PACE), or are they made in asia?

andytherocketeer

SHould be easier with a road bike. Do any of the old custom steel frame makers still make steel forks? or do they just ship a stock off the shelf columbus or similar carbon fork?

mrmo
    Free Member

and just make your own saddle out of a sponge and some gaffer tape

Brooks for the saddle.

Sturney Archer are Taiwan now i believe.

Anyway an all british bike is a pointless exercise, you can’t do it. What’s more to get close would mean a huge number of compromises you would end up with a heap of crap.

SaxonRider

Does Dunlop make MTB tyres?

EDIT (answer to own question): They don’t, but the company started when old Mr Dunlop created a tyre for his son’s tricycle.

franksinatra

One of the bike mags tried this about 20 years ago. I remember it well. They pretty much managed it but struggles on (I think) rear mech and inner tubes.

ddmonkey

If they struggled 20 years ago….. perhaps this thread should have been named

“Totally Not Shipped in a 30 foot container from Asia apart from some raw materials and standard components All-Mountain FS bike”

Continental Tyres are made in Germany aren’t they? Are Mavic wheels completely manufactured in Annecy?

Cheezpleez

Anyone remember that video that was posted in the Midweek Movies a while back of the old Raleigh (I think) factory from the 40s where they show the whole bike being made from scratch.

<sigh> Aye, them were’t days <\sigh>

cookeaa

This topic pops up again every now and then doesn’t it… Still not sure why anyone would really want to do it, but I’m all for you trying.

I’ll echo what everyone else above said, possibly easier to build an all European bike, but hard to exclude far-eastern parts if that’s your inclination. you’ll probably be making a single speed, I’d have suggested a Sturmey Archer hub perhaps but I think they’re at least owned if not made by Sunrace now (???)….

A frame and fork are really the easy bits, it’s the little bits you need to consider, UK manufactured Rims? Spokes? Cables? Tyres for that matter? I’m sure they can be obtained but they’ll be hard to sources and the prices Vs VFM will probably make you cry…

andrewh
    Free Member

Are Rigida rims British?

binno
    Free Member

ghetto tubeless to avoid tubes altogether.

Macavity
    Free Member

Spokes

PJM1974
    Free Member

Hmmm….not too long ago you’d have had Pace or USE forks on your list. Do they even make the USE Sub anymore?

andytherocketeer

The wooden bike that Guy Martin made? chief.

(those wheels should solve the the issues of Belgian spokes, Germany tyres, and French rims).

cookeaa

The wooden bike that Guy Martin made? chief.

(those wheels should solve the the issues of Belgian spokes, Germany tyres, and French rims).

And where does the wood come from?

Noway? Canada? China?

Dirty, Evil Foreign Ply!!!

It must be made entirely from British grown Ash and/or Oak, By hand!

Macavity
    Free Member
    Northwind

ddmonkey – Member

Renthall bars and stem
    Marzocchi 55 Ti’s – are British aren’t they? At least they are not made in Asia

Renthal mtb bars are far eastern.
    Marzocchi 55s- Zocchi are Italian but they moved all production to Taiwan in 2008 (did they move some back?)

Macavity
    Free Member
    mt
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Totally British Bike’ is closed to new replies.