Home Forums Bike Forum Torque cap spacers

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Torque cap spacers
  • nixie

I have a set of pikes the accept torque caps. Because my wheels are boost converted I cannot use end caps. Other than the EU only and hard to find at that universal Newman torque cap adapters has any found a good solution. These things;

I’ve seen the STL files for getting some printed. That’s plan z.

dhrider
    Free Member

You dont actually need them, they just make a normal 15mm wheel easier to fit.

mashr

And even that’s debatable. I’ve got 2 Torque Cap wheels both of which are more faffy to get between the fork legs. One of them being particularly great as the caps just fall off with ease

nixie

Yeah I know I don’t need them. It’s making wheel fitting easier I’m after as this bike is stored wheel off. It’s a faff getting them lined up while holding the bike up that annoys me.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

You want a 22x18mm (iirc) self adhesive washer – I’ve probably got some left somewhere from doing mine. (I should do is just where the rest of the bag went, I’ll see if I can find them)

Stick on the dropout, cut out a notch with a Stanley knife and Bob’s your mother’s brother.

About 60p plus post for a dozen or so when I got mine years ago.

nixie

Perfect. I was hoping there was an easy DIY solution. Cheers will look for those.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

31mm external by virtue of a quick Google

This sort of thing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nylon-Plastic-Washers-Adhesive-Backed-in-Black-and-Natural-All-Sizes-M2-to-M24-/310418506592?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I’ve a suspicion my 18mm I’d is wrong but should be able to check ready enough. Mine were a standard size so judging from the chart there about m22 or 24.

OD doesn’t really matter once they’re stuck though, just helps alignment when you fit them

nixie

Cool, thanks. Search brings up a page that details 21mm OD for normal end caps, 31mm OD for torque caps.

kimbers

Interested in this too

Mavic ones seem impossible to get in UK and post brexit if EU sites even ship to UK tax is ridiculous

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve pm’d you Nixie but I’ll add it here for the benefit of future searches

I got m22 washers for mine and they’re pretty much spot on. https://www.abouttownbolts.co.uk/product/nylon-washers-adhesive-backed-in-black-and-natural-all-sizes-m2-to-m24/

and @kimbers it seems

nre
    Free Member

Also interested in this! Thanks for the info @dangeourbrain will give the M22s a try!

Stiggy

Cue spike in 10 packs of M22 sales from About Town Bolts. Good PSA, thanks.

nre
    Free Member

Just to follow up, those M22 self adhesive washers are absolutely spot on for this job! Only needed a single washer chopped in half to do both sides!

Thanks @dangeourbrain, fitting my front wheel is now a pleasure rather than a pain 🙂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Glad they got you sorted (but unless you load that bike onto a wheel off roof rack I’m afraid you’ll never know the true amount of pleasure they could bring nor the pain you’ve missed 😉)

nre
    Free Member

That does indeed sound like a whole lotta pain!

nixie

I load mine with boost forks onto a front wheel off rack with non boost fork up (still have a set of non boost forks on other bike). Trying to slot the boost spacers in while lining the axle up was horrible.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Is it a loose spacer for that too or do they at least plug into the fork up thing?

nixie

Loose spacers! The worst kind. Definitely need to sort something better.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Torque cap spacers’ is closed to new replies.