Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Top gear transit van.
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Want… 😯

bassspine
    Free Member

loving the double car racing too

rOcKeTdOg

get a few bikes in that van too 🙂

bassspine
    Free Member

ideal, you’d get to the trail a lot sooner 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Saw it at the Goodwood Festival of Speed last year, complete with builders ladders on a rack on the outside!

It was actually pretty quick up the track too…

Now bear in mind the engine in it is in a pretty standard state of tune, but with bigger turbos and a remap those 3.5litre Jag V6’s can make 1000bhp!

rOcKeTdOg

Ferrari GTO (the old one) sex on wheels!

eth3er
    Free Member

I laughing so hard, so not expecting that.

Stoner
    Free Member

what has boris done to his face?

botoxed the bejeesus out of it and eaten some pies ?

brakes
    Free Member

you could tell it was going to be quick – big wheels, low profile tyres, lowered… must be a hoot blasting off the lights
    Top Gear is a bit pants at the moment – same old guff

Evesie
    Free Member

TWR built them (think there at least two origially) for develoment hacks for the XJ220. Should think that many a boy racers were blitzed around the leafy lanes of Oxfordshire by them.

donsimon
    Free Member

This no fair!!! Pics please?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i heard the van is an XJ220 that was written off with a transit put on top!!

neilb67
    Free Member

We had the van next to our race truck at Donington last year. From memory they had to move the rear wheel arches forward on the van to match the wheel base of the XJ220.

Raindog
    Free Member

It wasn’t a write off, it was an engine and running gear testbed. I don’t remember there being two of them, but they were built by a different department to the one I worked in, so it’s possible there were.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Rallying was great – looked like tatton park?

CountZero

Oh, the fun to be had with that van. And the original GTO was sweet. Saw one in that London some years back, near the Royal Albert Hall, just parked on a street corner, unattended, with the lights on. Me and my mate looked at the car, at each other, said ‘shall we?’, then thought better of it. Terribly tempting, tho’. ?
    Wonder how many people that new one will eat?

andrewh
    Free Member

Was really hoping for more of a feature on the 288, quite disapointed to see the new one instead!

jimjam
    Free Member

andrewh

Was really hoping for more of a feature on the 288, quite disapointed to see the new one instead!

Yes, agree with this. 288 gto criminally underused. Rest of the show was cack. As usual.

I think the XJ220 wheels on the van, and instrument cluster were a bit of a give away.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Friend of my old boss has a 288GTO, it’s stunning! His old man is supposed to have one as well. Very jealous !

Harry_the_Spider

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxofMKDd0Os[/video]

tyger
    Free Member

Anyone else reckon that “The Ginger Whinger” donated to the BBC in order to have his car on Top Gear but wouldn’t let it be driven.

£12M – worth it?

Raindog
    Free Member

I thought the 250 GTO was Nick Mason’s ?

Gachet
    Free Member

The 250 GTO on last night is Nick Mason’s (with the numberplate 250GTO) which is the traditional shape, whereas the one Chris Evans bought has a different front and back end and is much rarer as I’ve never seen one in the flesh.

Here are the details I found:

Evans paid £12m for the 1963 250 GTO (chassis no. 4675 GT) at an event held by RM Auctions. The car is one of only 36 250 GTOs originally produced and one of a limited few with Series II GTO bodywork.

Chris Evan’s 250 GTO:

Nick Mason’s 250 GTO:

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Rest of the show was cack. As usual.

There is this button see…

donsimon
    Free Member

What do you reckon that if the Post Office were given a fleet of those Transits they’d still deliver late?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

You’ve obviously not see a Royal Mail van being driven round London. Apparently they have digital throttles and brakes. They are either fully on or fully off

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Who was Rally Stig in the Proton? Petter Solberg?

It certainly wasn’t Tiff Needell this time.

aracer
    Free Member

Was really hoping for more of a feature on the 288

Agreed – I thought at the least they could do a lap time in it (OK so it might be a race car, but it’s road legal isn’t it?)

aracer
    Free Member

I think the XJ220 wheels on the van, and instrument cluster were a bit of a give away.

You lot are real anoraks (or lying) – even on watching again I can’t see anything particularly special about the wheels (low-pro yes, but how many rubbish normal transits are hopped up with those?) Impossible to believe Hamster didn’t know, but then it’s hard to believe anything on that show is real.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I also spotted the XJ220 wheels on the Transit at first glance. It’s not magic. I didn’t guess the details of what was hidden inside; I thought it was just going to be a big V8

jimjam
    Free Member

aracer

You lot are real anoraks (or lying) – even on watching again I can’t see anything particularly special about the wheels (low-pro yes),but how many rubbish normal transits are hopped up with those?

They are Jaguar XJ220 wheels. As in, they are the wheels off a jag XJ220, that’s what is special about them. It’s obvious to a car nut. There are probably 2 transits in the world with those on, so not many.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s obvious to a car nut anorak

FTFY

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

it definitely wasn’t an XJ220 chassis underneath, they’re nearly 2 feet wider!

atlaz
    Free Member

The daddy of souped up vans was the Renault Williams F1 Espace.

Not road legal of course.

Harry_the_Spider
    jimjam
    Free Member

aracer –

It’s obvious to a car nut anorak

FTFY

You’re right, it would seem that I am plagued by an ability to see things and recall them from memory. It’s a massive burden in my life. I’m sure you bring a massive dose of anarchic testosterone fueled ultra-manliness to all your chosen interests in a not at all anorak like way. Good for you.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Who was Rally Stig in the Proton? Petter Solberg?

It certainly wasn’t Tiff Needell this time.

I think it was just another new stig – they were driving like a circuit driver, rather than a rally driver, unless they’d been told to really ham it up for the camera. Nice work on the cut though – that was worthy of Colin McRae 🙂

TG is getting a bit lazy – I guess they’re getting bored, but tis still a mildly diverting show.

chiefgrooveguru

I think the XJ220 wheels on the van… …were a bit of a give away.

I’m glad I wasn’t the only person to notice that…

5lab

I didn’t notice the wheels at first, but noticed it was on an F-plate and memory told me the Goodwood Tranny was as well. Can’t be many left these days 🙂

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

G plate

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Top gear transit van.’ is closed to new replies.