Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 264 total)
  • The European experiment is over.
  • Stoner
    Free Member

losing their soverignty

Oh FFS, you sound like my mother

Well she was right, you shouldnt sleep with girls of easy virtue!

swiss01
    Free Member

elfin, my point being that the houses of parliament being that quintessentially english building for the teeny tiny englanders when really it isn’t and has that whole mish mash of influence going on in it.

and geda, less diverse than say malmo? or my family for that matter who are all argentinian/chilean/korean/english/french/swedish and some sort of middle eastern that i haven’t quite figured out. kind of the worst sort of immigrants from a sweden democrat perspective.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Oh FFS, you sound like my mother. They haven’t lost their sovereignty, they just have to do what bigger fish tell them to do with their money for a while. The tricolour hasn’t been lowered from the Dáil yet.

Just quoting what I read, don’t get upset poppet.

A basic measure of sovereignty is being able to set your own taxes and spending is it not? Perhaps we would be more sensitive to it’s existence if we were in the same position.

GEDA
    Free Member

Swiss01 the whole point of Sweden in sameness surely?

Jantes Law..

The ten rules state:

1. Don’t think you’re anything special.
    2. Don’t think you’re as much as us.
    3. Don’t think you’re wiser than us.
    4. Don’t convince yourself that you’re better than us.
    5. Don’t think you know more than us.
    6. Don’t think you are more than us.
    7. Don’t think you are good at anything.
    8. Don’t laugh at us.
    9. Don’t think anyone cares about you.
    10. Don’t think you can teach us anything.

An eleventh rule recognized in the novel is:

11. Don’t think there’s anything we don’t know about you

Stoner
    Free Member

Yankee law:
    The taxi drives near “L’arc de Triomphe”:

Texan : “What is that ?”
    Taxi Driver: “It is our triumphal arch”
    Texan: “How long did it take to build it ?”
    Taxi Driver: “It should have took five years”
    Texan: “Heh, in my country it takes 3 days”

The taxi drives near “Notre Dame”:

Texan: “What is that ?”
    Taxi Driver: “It is our church, Notre Dame”
    Texan: “How long did it take to build it ?”
    Taxi Driver: “Hooo, near 40 years.”
    Texan: “Heh, in my country it takes 6 days”

Now the taxi driver starts to be a little bit nervous.
    It is now driving near “La Tour Eiffel”:

Texan: “What is that ?”
    Taxi Driver: “What ? I do not know, it was not there this morning”

binners

This is my favourite Fred

Very relevant to this thread. Built as an alternative seat of government. It was from when us northerners were getting uppity about not having the influence our wealth-generation merited. Sound familiar?

It was however built by contributions from local businessmen, instead of the taxpayers money from a neighboring country you claim to despise 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

elfin, my point being that the houses of parliament being that quintessentially english building for the teeny tiny englanders when really it isn’t and has that whole mish mash of influence going on in it.

What on Earth are you talking about? 🙄

Sorry, you’ve lost me.

Meanwhile….

The Stortinget Norwegian Parliament in Oslo:

Great Hall in the Palace of Westminster:

Bangladesh Parliament, Dacca:

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m not getting upset but all this bollocks of losing sovereignty is bollocks and hysterics. Don’t blame me for pointing out when you and other gullible eejits fall for it…poppet 🙂 It’s Irish media hyperbole designed to whip up the public and destabilise the government.

Stoner’s latter point is far more pertinent 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That’s a town hall Binners, so not relevant on this thread I’m afraid. 🙁

It’s not bad, but I’m afraid Bradford’s is better. Sorry.

Junkyard
    Free Member

World famous crescent etc

carlosg
    Free Member

The Germans will no longer have to grind their teeth about bailing out the rest of Europe

I find this is a funny quote taken from the OP’s link , the German people/government were quite happy to accept financial aid from the rest of Europe when east and west were reunited.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

‘World famous’? I have no idea where on Earth that is, sorry. Looks quite impressive though. 🙁

Inside the Reichstag looks pretty funky:

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

And they weren’t mucking about when they built the Romanian Parliament, were they?? 😯

Think in Russian..’

binners

I’ve stood outside that builing in Romania Fred. In the flesh its about as impresssive as a council high-rise

TJ’s gone awfully quiet hasn’t he? Perhaps he’s reading the transcript of his glorious leaders ‘Celtic Lion’ speeches and planning a more Braveheart Approach to ‘FREEEEEEEEDOOOOOOM’ 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Bolton – architects did visit it for its beauty apparently. It is quite nice but I was just carrying on with the northern town hall themes
    did you work out why whiskEy was wrong ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No, World Parliament buildings only please. We can do Town Halls another day.

Binners; what were you doing in Bucaresti? Trying to sell Hora? 😯

The Dutch Parliament in Den Haag looks very ‘Dutch’, which I think is good:

binners

Seeing as we’re going off on Northern architectural tangents. How about this

Apparently this building saved Manchester from a lot of Bombing during the second world war. Hitler had seen it as an architecture student visiting Manchester, and had pencilled it in as his northern office when he took over the country

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It looks like it’s got ‘sunburnt’.

Very Northern, then. 😀

uplink
    Free Member

and had pencilled it in as his northern office when he took over the country

That would have been Hora’s office next to the air con units, I would have thought

kimbers

another vote for the budapest parliament

as for the european experiment being over
    i thought it was about altruism; germany and france etc willing to support the weaker economies and help build a better and stronger europe
    riding this out will be a real test of character for them

Junkyard
    Free Member

what is it binners Victoria towers???
    I asume that is the library top right
    I have seen the one in Den Haag I was enjopying my democratic right to get stoned on the steps of a parliament 8)
    they took the beer from me it was illegal to drin k on the streets …proper civilized those Dutch

simonralli2
    Free Member

I think the best quote in all these sorry sagas was from the Iceland President who said that the reason Iceland is now better off than Ireland is because Iceland let the banks fail. Of course Iceland were then declared a terrorist state by the UK, but that’s a small price worth paying surely? 😀

binners

Its the Midland Hotel Junkyard. All the buildings are great round that part of town

Fred – I was in Bucharest people trafficing for Hora. He has to keep all his northern ‘Massage Parlour’s’ stocked at Minimal cost, so he’s expanded into recruitment drives in Eastern Europe.

I am merely the conduit for his tyrannical ambitiotns

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes was living the high life when in manchester all those years ago patchy memories but it was fun

The William TJ Wallace tag is a corker btw

binners

🙂

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Remind me TJ…

Why did the Scottish nation give up their sovereignty in the first place?

I mean, they had independence, their own government, everything…

Just what circumstances lead Scotland into the treaty and subsequent act of union in 1707? I mean, was it forced upon you? or something to do with the huge financial mess you all got yourselves into last time you were responsible for your own finances…

just asking like 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I mean, was it forced upon you?

He’s not Scottish. 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The William TJ Wallace tag is a corker btw

Yeah well you may find it funny, but I think it’s quite rude actually, and cowardly. If people want to challenge TJ, then they should do it in a post, where their username will be visible.

I don’t agree with TJ on this issue, as I can’t see long-term benefits from such a schism, but I can appreciate his arguments, and respect his point of view. If people are just going to insult him via the tags, then that’s just negative and stupid.

Just shows a lack of balls, to have to resort to using tags to insult someone. Not to mention an abuse of the tag facility.

Maybe all those who’ve posted insulting tags should receive a mandatory one-day ban. Maybe that would teach them not to be so rude. 🙁

clubber
    Free Member

It’s still funny though, just cowardly too. I don’t suppose that TJ could care less, mind.

I’ll call him a Silicone Scot right to his face 🙂

EDIT – just added it to the tags too – seems onlyright 😉

backhander
    Free Member

Fred, I’m not sure that you should be recommending bans 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I was going to post a tag but I’ll just say it: Effin, you’re missus is a slayg 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Yeah well you may find it funny, but I think it’s quite rude actually, and cowardly. If people want to challenge TJ, then they should do it in a post, where their username will be visible.

you rslicka fred. Mr Moral all of a sudden are we?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Fred, I’m not sure that you should be recommending bans

Actually, I’m a ‘model of good behaviour’. Grumpy Mark said so. 🙂

No by all means discuss things, but hiding behind tags is just cowardly. Have the balls to say what you mean in a post. Or just keep schtum.

Mr Moral all of a sudden are we?

Well, I’ve never voted Tory, if that’s what you mean… 😉

trailmonkey

Could someone explain why we should be revelling in buildings designed to be the embodiment of control, power and the omnipotence of govt. over the people ?

I’m truly suprised at some of you.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s an appreciation of architecture, rather than what the buildings represent, really.

Iceland has perhaps one of the most modest Parliamentary buildings:

Stoner
    Free Member

Welcome to SupineanarchistTrackWorld 😉

trailmonkey

It’s an appreciation of architecture, rather than what the buildings represent, really.

Take the meaning out of any work of art and you’re left with a pretty shallow appreciation imho.
    In the case of govt buildings, then the meaning is pretty hard to ignore.
    As it happens I studied Pugin as part of my degree, there’s all sorts of symbolism and meaning tied up in the H of P, a return to the old religion and all that stuff, personally it all looks rather faux to me. Give me a good old medieavel English church to rummage around. Now they’ve got layers of control, power and omnipotence over the people written all over them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You guys still raving on.

A few points to ponder
    1) nowhere did I say I was in favour of Scottish independence
    2) the speech binners quotes says nothing about bank regulation policy so he clearly is just guessing
    3) why are yo all so vehement on this issue? Surely if Scotland is a drain on the UK economy you would be better off without them.
    4) Why so petulant and unpleasant?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Pot, kettle, etc, TJ! 😉

trailmonkey

No, we’re all bored with it and now we’re talking about something else, but you seem determined to drag it back up.

Why so petulant and unpleasant ?

A very good question. Why do you insist on calling people little Englanders because they have a contrary opinion to you on the issue ? I’d like to see you stereotype other nationalities then try to justify it.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 264 total)

The topic ‘The European experiment is over.’ is closed to new replies.