• This topic has 48 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tthew.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Tools you can't live without
  • ninfan
    Free Member

Does everyone else have one of those little bike tools whose practicality and usefulness far outweigh anything else to make them truly priceless?

I thought I’d lost mine the other day and spent an hour searching before praising the Lord that I had found it

Given to me by the Guys at hope years ago, it’s done sterling work ever since, being used every time the bike has gone in the car, saving many a brake pad and opening many a beer, truly a tool of endless memories!

Klunk
    Free Member

external bb bearing extractor and installer.

bruneep

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

http://www.parktool.com/product/mini-chain-brute-chain-tool-ct-5

Tried many other larger units’ multi tools etc. This little beaut can be used in the woods, in the dark with confidence and will never spit the pin out into the undergrowth like so many others I have used do.

qwerty
    Free Member

Yea, that Park mini brute is good.

brakes
    Free Member

my spam hammer.
    called upon irregularly, but never fails to produce regardless of location and conditions. needs an expert hand to get the best out of it though.

lunge

My track pump, it’s always a pleasure to use compared to wearing myself out using a minipump.
    My work stand, make all repairs seem sooo much easier.

hatter

My ancient Park AWS-9 folding allen key set, had it since I was 17, it just keeps on going.

My late 90’s CT-5 chain tool does push it close though.

Northwind

I’ve got a Thor hammer that I think my grandad stole from the RAF when he demobbed, so i feel it’s appropriate that I stole it from him. It’s just the perfect size, perfect weight, and nothing makes a handle fit like 70 years of use.

scotroutes

5mm Allen key

the-muffin-man

The Wife

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Park powerlink pliers. No more grazed/cut knuckles or foul language.
    Joe Blow track pump. No more tubeless woe or foul language.

FOG

Needlenose pliers. Amazing how any different jobs they make easier

avdave2

One of these, current off road commute means this highly designed mud dislodger is used more than any other tool I own. I recommend you use someone elses rather than your own as even after washing they can retain a hint of the taste of sheep shit.

sssimon
    Free Member

park allen key sets, cable cutters and ct3 chaintool have been the best long term investments.

More recently however I can’t work out how I survived without a set of chain link pliers, £5.99 well spent.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

warpcow
    Free Member

Rubber mallet is something that would prove difficult to live without. On a more luxury side it would be my Knipex multi-grip thingy.

iolo
    Free Member

My penis.
    I love it.

honourablegeorge

+1 for the chain link pliers – real “how did I manage without one of these?” moment the first time you use it.

Eastwing hammer – another hammer that was handed down from a previous generation – brilliant thing.

Workstand – man, the amount of hassle saved is phenomenal.

And lately, having acquired a massive shed – the workbench I build myself.

ajantom

+1 for the Knipex plier-wrench. Been used for all manner of bike and household related jobs since I got it, and it turns out they’re a very good set of nut crackers too.

The one tool that seems to keep on going is a no name, round, metal spoke key. Bought in a small bike shop in the Pyrenees when I was 18 – so had it for 21 years! Countless wheels built and trued with it, and it’s never skipped a beat 8)

66deg
    Free Member

iolo – Member

My penis.
    I love it.

Yes yes – but is it a multipenis?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Totally manageable without but a starfangled nut installed has to be the most satisfying tool in use.

emac65
    Free Member

My 32 year old Stanley socket set ……….

bones
    Free Member

Not bike-specific, but:

zero-cool
    Free Member

Continental tyre levers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve also got a 20+ year old AWS9. Outstanding.

fourbanger
    Free Member

That Bahco is a good bit of kit

alpineharry
    Free Member

I can’t live without my torque wrench… one of those things you never realise how usefel they are until you buy one.

Also, pair of pedro’s tyre levers, only ever need one, can’t recall ever using 2 and had them numerous years!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Leatherman rebar or Thor plastic – rubber hammer and my favourite flat head screw driver

winston
    Free Member

Victrinox Swiss Tool – had it for over a decade and it still looks like new despite being used at least once a day for something.

Its something that was an impulse buy and very expensive at the time but now looks very good value

I also love my track pump which I’ve had for more than a decade too.

ninfan
    Free Member

That Bahco is a good bit of kit

You would like my second drawer down:

duncancallum

I’ve just bought some birzman cable pliers. I’m a convert.

Other than that I have too many to list as I’ve boxes worth. As I’m motortrade.

winston
    Free Member

Jesus – £100+ bahco draw!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Britain First. They are a group that never fail to make me go WTF!

Oh and powerlink pliers.

TiRed

Good, well-made, high quality 8 and 10 mm ring spanners.
    Good cable cutters. A revelation after pliers
    External crank preloader. Try fitting Shimano cranks without one.

tomhoward

+1 for track pump and work stand.

jimmy

Headset remover. Just… Love it every time.

fasthaggis

dingleberry
    Free Member

Got a set of those Beta sliding allen keys a while ago and they’re luuurvely! Good for spinning! 😀

amplebrew

For me it would have to be my Park TW-5 torque wrench and Schwalbe tyre levers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Tools you can't live without’ is closed to new replies.