Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Too many stolen bike threads on here at the moment :-(
  • chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Had my bike nicked almost a year ago so know exactly how you all feel.

Fit a garage defender and IR alarm but still think it’s a bonus every morning when I look out of the bedroom window and the garage door is in tact!

How sh*t is that?

jam-bo

I’d move somewhere nicer.

racefaceec90

i feel very fortunate that i haven’t had a bike nicked (touch wood it will stay that way/i couldn’t afford to replace them 🙁

i hope everyone who has had their bike(s) nicked will get them back again and the thieving scum bought to justice.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Jam bo – can’t afford anywhere nicer than Skipton I’m afraid 🙁

crikey
    Free Member

I’m with hora on this; keep bikes in a shed and it’s when rather than if.

Especially for STW types, where we are talking thousands of pounds worth, you just can’t keep them in a crappy wooden shed, or a garage away from your house. I’ll get shouted down, like last time, but it’s your pride and joy, not mine.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Mine live in the bedroom.

jodafett

Just done a quick search and in the last 6 months there’s been 100 topics started with the word stolen in the title 😯

Edit: 101 now, just seen another thread.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Jam bo being a nob as usual I see…

TiRed

I live somewhere nice. That’s where nice bikes can be found. I believe thieves can drive. Still have the searches out for my Merlin.

nonk
    Free Member

Totally agree with crikey I haven’t kept a bike in the shed since I was about ten years old.
    You just can’t do it.
    Gutted for all those affected though 🙁

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

My two werent in a shed. They were still nicked 10 days back.

hora
    Free Member

You can only do soo much securitywise. A 3k bike will still make a thief £500+ broken up and sold on. You just saw through the frame in <2mins.

If someone breaks into your house- theres nothing much more you can do.

Move somewhere else? Thieves tend to gravitate towards the areas where people tend to have stuff worth nicking…

AlexSimon

I’m surprised Skipton is somewhere you feel under threat!
    That’s pretty bad. I grew up there and never really thought that burglary was a problem.

kimbers

campaign to have drugs legalised, regulated and prescribed?

plus-one

I really don’t get the anti shed thing ???? I keep a few of my cheaper(but still insured) bikes in mine..

Reckon a thief could get into a house just as quick as a good quality secure shed/garage if needed !!

It’s all about slowing them down/too much noise needed to break in that may put them off..

hora
    Free Member

To get into your house is different. You don’t sleep inside your shed. So you have no one to deal with/surprise in there.

If you were a thief would you go through 5 sheds in a night or break and enter a house with possibly only one way out- the way you came in if you needed to get out fast?

AndyRT
    Free Member

I wonder how many of the thefts that have happened tare also people using some sort of web based ride tracking service?

plus-one

Hora ..

Not really I know a fair few folks been burgled as they slept !!!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I’d keep a bike in a shed, not your average flimsy B&Q offering admittedly. There’s good quality security sheds available, and with a ground anchor and an alarm I wouldn’t be that concerned.

I appreciate that your house is probably safer, but some people don’t have the luxury of enough space to store a bike inside.

hora
    Free Member

You are missing my point though.

If faced with pulling open a shed door with a whole garden to leg it out/over or one point of entry and potentially cornered with someone within- what would you chose?

Also, these people who were burgled whilst they were asleep, if forced entry- how old/etc were they?

If its a door/window-checker and finds one adjar its a opportunistic theft. If you have been watched, the thief will know how big etc/(risk) you are to their well being.

An 12.5stone IT Manager wouldn’t scare a Thief so he’d take that risk of a confrontation.

Similarly a 55yr+ married couple wouldn’t either.

AndyRT
    Free Member

But a set of bombers would 😉

mindmap3
    Free Member

As said above living somewhere nice isn’t going to help…it’s more of a target. If you wanted to nick stuff where would you go – somewhere that is looked upon as less affluent or the new ‘aspirational’ development?

I’m sure more and more of these thefts are targeted as people cotton on to how much bikes are worth and there’s a thriving second hand market in forums and via eBay. Look at those scumbags using the Pink Bike buy and sell to get targets.

I don’t think there’s much you can do either…if they want them they’ll get in some how even if it means removing the roof!

I’ve had two bikes nicked and was basically mugged for them both. Once in Burham Beeches when I was 14 and the other time was riding my BMX through the ground of my uni halls in Brum.

binners

Hora – I refer you to the post I put up in similar thread yesterday

Oh here we go. For those who inevitably start banging on about not keeping bikes in sheds (I’m sure Hora will be along shortly), I’d love to keep my bikes in the West Wing of my extensive 7 bedroomed property, or maybe in my large, secure double garage. Unfortunately, I possess neither! As I live in a terraced house ( oh…. The shame!) which is filled with me, partner, 2 kids, 2 cats and our ‘stuff’

So it’s the shed, and some bloody big locks! No, it wouldn’t be anyone’s preferred option. But choice is a luxury some of us don’t possess. So lets leave it at that, shall we?

🙄

project
    Free Member

As somebody who used to errect sheds, and now fits doors and security stuff, the question needs to be asked of a lot of people, why do you have a big bolt on the toilet or bathroom door, sometimes even a mortice lock, but your shed outside is secured together by just nails and so is the roof,a cheap padlock and hasp, no curtain over the windows or bars inside,and you leave quite a few thousands quids worth of easily sold ,transported and usually untraceable product chained up in a wooden shed.

So curtains over window, and inside of door if shed faces the street, secure the roof from inside with builders band, and dont forget round window frames and dooor frames, bars or grils on inside of windows,shed alarm, pir light outside,hinge bolts, decent hasp and staple or dead locks top and bottom,and possibly a hiden baby monitor so you can hear whats going on in shed, then there is covert or high mounted cctv.

All for less than a couple of hundred quid, and probably most steel bar or grills from a scrap yard.

hora
    Free Member

cbmotorsport – I said earlier that when I lived in London the bikes stayed next to my ears by the bed.

I own a big shed, a brick-built shed, a large greenhouse and a garage.

I wouldn’t miss anything in those if they went missing. Well I’d miss the lawn mower and my toolbox I guess at a push.

plus-one

I’m not talking a cheapo shed …

1. Doors reinforced- check
    2. Hinges coach bolted – check
    3. Large closed shackle hasps/locks-check
    4. Pir light-check
    5. Pir alarm-check
    6. Roof firmly secured – check
    7. Baby monitor- check
    8. Pins fitted if hinge cut to prevent opening hinge side-check
    9. CCTV watching shed/path-check
    10. Builders band full length inside doors if saw used to cut round locks-check

If entry gained

9. Ground anchor/protector chain-check 🙂

And this is only for few cheapish bikes

jam-bo

patriotpro – Member
    Jam bo being a nob as usual I see…

Oooooeeee. When did I piss on your chips?

andypandy85
    Free Member

I’d be properly gutted if my bike was nicked. It’s insured, but I love that bike, I wouldn’t want another one.

On a security note, I find thieves seem to be put off by a dog that would rip their throats out in a heartbeat. Fortunately I have one of those, and he loves to spend all day guarding the house 🙂

twoniner
    Free Member

I also noticed a lot of stolen bikes posts recently, that why i’ve been re-thinking my bike storage.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Too many stolen bike threads on here at the moment :-(’ is closed to new replies.