Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • too big?
  • darkeneddreams
    Free Member

I got a 48t on the front at the moment and 16t sprocket though from the majority of ss setups I’ve seen mine looks a big on the larger side of things lol. Haven’t found it too much of a problem yet but was looking at going to the lakes sometime late May, should I change down a size or two?

saladdodger
    Free Member

48t at the front is ok

Just use a 24t at the rear

darkeneddreams
    Free Member

how will a 24t work better, I know being slightly more teeth equals less pain on the hills but how do you calculate whats right and whatnot

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Depends wether you like to spin or grind.
    Depends wether you live somewhere flat or hilly.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Off road most folk run a 32/16 which works well so a 48/24 is the same ratio 2/1

Off road 32/16 works for me but Knottie uses a 32/18

On road a 42/16 fixed is a good ratio for my legs

If a 48/16 works for you thats ok

BTW is your real name chris hoy 😉

darkeneddreams
    Free Member

haha saladdodger!

I thought about going smaller than the 16t but read somewhere there’s little chance of finding any UK companies that deal with that kind of lunacy but I hope I’m wrong. 15t is the lowest (so I’ve seen a 12t but maybe I was dreaming as I can’t find the link on delicious right now….) but not sure if there’s any point going one tooth down.

Haven’t done any serious off-roading for quite a while now, did manage the malvern clasic years ago, couldn’t imagine that on a 48/16t ss tho LMFAO

P.S

If I’d scrolled down that link above I’ve seen the Surly do a 13tooth sprocket.hmmmm….not one for the hills mind you.

Any ideas for a setup thats both for the road and one for the district?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘too big?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM