Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Todays Poll “How will you convert to 12 speed?”
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

Is there a “yes very nice but I still have bikes with 9, 10, and 11 speed to wear out, blimey the pace of development these days!” option?

ajantom

I’ve recently gone to 2 speed on my main bike (up from one).

As this rate of change I’ll be on 12 speed in 2029.

Thoughby then new bikes will be rocking 15 speed with a 26″ diameter 64t cog for vertical slopes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

When I’m forced to because other quality components are not available

weeksy

I’d expect for me it will be the “when the next bike i come with has it fitted” … I don’t see any need or have any desire to go anything up from my 10 speed bikes, but i will have a new bike in the coming years and it’s very unlikely to have a 10 speed option, so i’ll get what i’m given. It’s likely to be a while though, if i change anything in the forseeable future it’s more than likely swapping the Parkwood frame for a Stanton Sherpa.

convert

Thoughby then new bikes will be rocking 15 speed

Pah, my first mtb had that. OK, so it had 3 chainrings too.

tallmart10

I don’t know if it was just me, but setting up 1×11 speed was not the simple process it had been for 10-speed cassettes and below. It turned out to be very sensitive to the rear derailleur hanger alignment (which was slightly bent in my case but not really visible to the naked eye).

Got it going in the end and have been pretty pleased with it, but if

<finickityness> is proportional to <number of cassette cogs>

then I think the sweet spot is somewhere around 10.5.

I don’t think I will be upgrading to 12-speed any time soon, until, as other posters have said, it is the only available option.

celticdragon

I’ve only just changed to 11 speed! So like others have said, when I absolutely have to.

onandon
    Free Member

Couldn’t give a crap about 12 speed.

My wheels have Chris king hubs so just changing the freehub is £250 before you start with a cassette etc.

narr, I’ll pass

Dickyboy

Still 9sp here & staying that way whilst my rapid rise mechs last.

ads678

12 speed not for at the moment either. I have perfectly good, quality, 10 speed stuff that works perfectly. So until that breaks…

daern
    Free Member

My wheels have Chris king hubs so just changing the freehub is £250 before you start with a cassette etc.

Gasp, OK that’s pretty crazy money. Makes Hope’s look cheap at £60-odd…

Personally, I’d look at a 1×12 setup when by 2×11 comes up for replacement as it wears out, but not before. Would probably favour XTR as I’m generally more of a Shimano fanboy, but would depend on what freehub drivers are available at the point of upgrade to save dumping a set of serviceable Hope hubs.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I’m not sure I need a 50t cassette, so the change isn’t as important to me. As with most others, I’ll change when current drive needs replacing, or if I buy a new bike.

5plusn8
    Free Member

So we agree it was a badly worded poll then?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Todays Poll “How will you convert to 12 speed?”’ is closed to new replies.