Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Today's moral maze – What would you do….?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahem.
    I have a friend who claimed some expenses. When they were paid into their bank account they noticed that the amount was FAR FAR in excess of what they had claimed. Something like 12.5 times as much, well into a 4-figure sum.

My friend knows what they should do about this, but has seen something similar happen before to one of their family and indeed to themselves in the past, knows how dumb some companies can be, and so they are temped to put the money in an ISA, sit on it for a bit, and see what happens…..

What would you do?
    😀

uplink
    Free Member

If he moves the money – he can't claim he didn't know about it

It's often a bank error that gets reversed though

juan
    Free Member

I don't know such things never happen in academia 😉

iDave
    Free Member

should you keep someone else's money? where is the dilemma?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'd pay it back promptly. Sorry. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Companies aren't stupid, and auditors are even less so.

coffeeking
    Free Member

PP's moral maze…

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I once cashed in some shares and recieved double the payment. We moved the mponey after a few weeks into a savings account and said if it is still there in a couple of years we would consider it ours (Lots of hastle with the co so didnt feel like stealing). Anyhow it took them a good 12mths and they came back with a request for the return of their money (A few grand). Thankfully we handnt touched it so just returned it to them.

Imagine getting that call and not having the money there cos he has spent it. I bet it would feel 10 X worse than the feeling he has now about getting the extra

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

If I find any shiny bike bling in the garage when I get home you are in serious trouble…..

juan
    Free Member

LOL at Ms pody. Mind you peter, she said nothing about a multistrada 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Eh? This is nothing to do with ME! It's my friend

And my friend wouldn't be silly enough to do anything like that. Oh noooooooo.

ski
    Free Member

I would pay it back and sleep well 😉

Once a few years back, in a different job, where I used to get paid monthly by cheque. I got a pay cheque in my name for £1.6m the pay slip was made out to my normal monthly wage, so a monumental error.

Payrol had paid me what a supplier should have received that month by mistake.

I had a Director and security in my office within seconds of telling payroll of their mix-up over the phone!

They obviously trusted me 😉

will
    Free Member

Agree with Ski. Think if you did keep the money you wouldn't be able to have a clear mind. I would return it.

llama

if your friend is a permie for this company then they should own up

else sit on the money for a bit but don't spend it for at least a few years

big companies aren't stupid when it comes to financials just slow and thorough so they will notice sooner or later.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

is it ethical to spend work time thinking about an answer ?

uplink
    Free Member

permie

Is this an Australianism?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

is it ethical to spend work time thinking about an answer ?

Indeed. My friend thinks not, and will therefore only take action out of work hours, when, unfortunately, the cashiers department is closed. Drat.

montylikesbeer

Should pay it back and as said above then sleep well

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

Mind you we do need new carpets and as you are not around because of the hours you spend at work (over 55 hours a week…) maybe I should take it from your friend as compensation. Oh what a dilema

thefettler
    Free Member

right I'm a honest sort or a chap
    but if 1.6m Stirling got payed into my account
    Swiss bank &buy buy 😈 for shore
    sorry ski 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

4-figure sum??

if it was, say, a 6-7 figure sum then i'd say definitely keep the money, leg it to a different country and change your identity.

ski
    Free Member

Would you though the the fettler?

Its one thing saying you would and another actually doing it.

I know a friend of a friend who after a bank credited him £400k in error did a runner, think he managed to keep free for two years before the dosh ran out and they caught up with him.

Now his life is in a real bad place 😉

thefettler
    Free Member

Yea you called me?
    would think hard about it!
    have read to much espionage/crime stuff & already have an alternative id set up 😉

luke
    Free Member

have a word with accounts and ask if your friends pay is correct, don't tell them theve paid you too much.

luke
    Free Member

otherwise see if you can bulk buy bbb10 tickets.

ski
    Free Member

My Wife would probably do a runner though if it had happened now.

would she include me in the plan is another question?

😉

mike_p
    Free Member

You lot are waaaay too honest!

Keep it, a few grand might not be noticed. Simply be prepared to give it back if they ask for it. Happened to me once and I ended up keeping it. Nothing ventured…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Guys, I've already orgainised paying back the £976 I've been overpaid.

Always knew I would. Just a bit of gentle leg pulling. 🙂

mike_p
    Free Member

Madness!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've already orgainised paying back the £976 I've been overpaid.

is that all ? I have so much money I wouldn't have noticed that :o)

soma_rich
    Free Member

You just earnt some MASSIVE karma points!

bigsi
    Free Member

you had better hope MrsP hasn't already ordered the new carpets then 🙄

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'd have had a new chainset and some flash wheels before she had the chance to order carpets! It mine, all mine, I tell ya!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have so much money I wouldn't have noticed that :o)

And I bet you're still riding round on that shonky ripped up saddle though, you pikey!
    😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

PP YOU LIED TO US! Obviously you have no friends if you have to make them up!

Personally i'd have kept hold of it and sat on it for about 18 months, if no one claims it back schweet, if they do at least you've managed to get some interest off it!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Obviously you have no friends if you have to make them up!

Yes. That's right. Of course I don't. 😉

Personally i'd have kept hold of it and sat on it for about 18 months, if no one claims it back schweet, if they do at least you've managed to get some interest off it!

Turns out they'd mixed my claim up with someone with the same surname. I'm sure they'd have found out when he started shouting!

therealhoops
    Free Member

This happened to the missus and we did the honnest thing and paid it back. The house still needs redecorating but atleast we can sleep well at night.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

And I bet you're still riding round on that shonky ripped up saddle though, you pikey!

no, it's been replaced – but any fule noes that one does not become rich by spending…

Obviously you have no friends if you have to make them up!

yes, that did undermine the credibility of the story!

AndyP
    Free Member

[father ted]
    that money was just resting in my account

thomthumb
    Free Member

once got overpaid by a months wages at work (first proper job when i was 17)- took it all out the account in case it was a mistake and clamied back. walked around with a grand in my pocket for three days – was too scared to leave it anywhere – then found out it was my holiday pay for the first year!! 😮

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Today's moral maze – What would you do….?’ is closed to new replies.