Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Today's idiot delivery man.
  • zippykona

DX deliveries step forward.
    Someone thought it would be a good idea to put our parcel on top of all our rubbish cardboard boxes that get collected on a Thursday.
    If only we had phoned them up yesterday to ask them not to do it. …oh,we did.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Did you manage to get it in time?

zippykona

No,its on it’s way to the tip.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

On a brighter note, Yodel delivered my Fatty Trail frame, no damage, on time, and my GF recons the driver looks like Fernando Torres .

All round win.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’ve got a load of stuff being delivered by DX,doors,fire & surround I specifically asked for it to be delivered Friday March 4th.Got a text earlier to say they’re delivering it tomorrow.I’ll be 15 miles away at work…

wwaswas

That’s more about the company you’re buying from desptching it too soon, isn’t it bustaspoke? Can’t see DX wanting to store stuff for 8-10 days?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yodel left my parcel in my recycling bin

They then tried to claim it had been delivered to a secure place despite the lack of lock, it being bin day and it not being there when I got home

Not sure what happened in the end as I paid by credit card and just spoke to them rather than deal with the courier after the initial call where they insisted it was secure.

globalti
    Free Member

It’s an increasing problem. Maybe people who shop online a lot ought to have a secure bin outside their houses that can be opened with a code that they show on the label?

We have a mahoosive letterbox through which most stuff that comes in a jiffy bag can be pushed. I can’t believe the crappy little letter boxes most of my neighbours have – how does the postie even get standard letters through them?

konabunny
    Free Member

On what planet is it a good idea to put parcels in rubbish bins?

wwaswas

On what planet is it a good idea to put parcels in rubbish bins

one where the people doing the delivery get paid per parcel so lose out if they have to come back and one where the drivers are on such tight schedules that trying to find a neighbour etc makes them late for the next delivery slot.

Plus there’s no real penalty to the individual driver of doing this…

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Wwas,I agree with you about the goods being despatched to soon but seeing as DX won’t pick up the phone it’s going to be their problem tomorrow..
    Regarding stuff getting left in recycling bins,I’ve had a few parcels left in the garden ‘Green Bin’,never had a problem.I think that’s a good idea about putting a lock on it & supplying the details to the sender.

GrahamS

Maybe people who shop online a lot ought to have a secure bin outside their houses that can be opened with a code that they show on the label?

Not a bad idea.

Personally I’d be quite happy if I could just mark my parcel: “Don’t even bother trying to deliver this. I’ll come by the sorting office and pick it up”

There are a bunch of schemes for getting parcels delivered to local shops or post offices (e.g. Wiggle does Collect+ for local shops, some eBay folk do delivery to local Argos stores) – that seems like a pretty good plan but I can see the shops getting sick of it if it got too popular or the parcels got too big.

bungle

Hermes:

Card put through door saying ‘parcel left in porch’. No kidding! Door mat hovering 6″ off the ground and totally failing to hide parcel twice the size… Small terrace house with door 10 ft from pavement.

Email survey request 2 days later completed with much malice. Most questions were about ‘how was it…’ about all the things they didn’t offer like leave with neighbour, change date, etc.

Tracking details are unchanged since collection from seller 3 weeks ago.

roverpig

On a brighter note, Yodel delivered my Fatty Trail frame, no damage, on time, and my GF recons the driver looks like Fernando Torres .

All round win.

Stop sitting around feeling smug. Get it built up and some pictures posted (preferably muddy ones) 🙂

egb81
    Free Member

I stopped ordering from Wiggle because I got so fed up with DX.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’ve never had a DX delivery from wiggle, always comes RM Tracked 48

rocketman
    Free Member

For balance, the legends that are the Royal Mail have this morning redelivered the parcel that I wasn’t at home to receive on Monday

Simply go online and enter some basic details from The Red Card, choose a delivery day and bingo it all happens

Had a good moan with the delivery bloke who is apparently one of the managers about the weather and the roadworks in town

johndoh
    Free Member

Maybe people who shop online a lot ought to have a secure bin outside their houses that can be opened with a code that they show on the label?

Didn’t someone on Dragon’s Deg come up with a similar idea? It was more directed at supermarket deliveries but the idea could be expanded.

pnik

Today idiot for me was UPS, new gopro put thebox on the wall by the front door, in plain view from road, didnt knock, we were in! Often if we’re out they (couriers generally) tuck boxes behind the wall. Clearly this guy was on a schedule.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

On a brighter note, Yodel delivered my Fatty Trail frame, no damage, on time, and my GF recons the driver looks like Fernando Torres

did he score?

Our regular parcelforce guy always looks harassed and under pressure. Our local RM postie is a ledge, and as we quite clearly have parcels delivered than the rest of the street put together we have a plastic crate by the rear door (which I identify as a safe place to couriers that allow it) and he got a bottle of wine for Xmas.

Couriers choosing to use bins does seem a bit reckless, though!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

double post ffs

andytherocketeer

Personally I’d be quite happy if I could just mark my parcel: “Don’t even bother trying to deliver this. I’ll come by the sorting office and pick it up”

would be happy with that too

we have self-serve parcel machines here where you can either have them delivered direct and you collect them, or you can also send from the machine too.

problem is, it works for domestic stuff, but I assume when ordering from overseas it all depends on which courier everything will be handed over to. my wiggle stuff ends up at a local bike shop via GLS. amazon gets redelivered on a saturday morning by DHL. and UPS usually ends up with a neighbour. and anything else DHL i end up collecting it from the post office (walking right past the DHL selfserve machine to get there), and then have to endure the spiel once more yet again that I really should get stuff delivered to the machine, and apply for a gold card to access it. and the post office are now going out of their way to make it a royal pita to collect parcels.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

One thing I do if I don’t know the delivery date & it’s a large parcel is get it delivered to my mates garage & pick it up after work. That way I know someone will be there to receive it.

tthew

There are a bunch of schemes for getting parcels delivered to local shops or post offices (e.g. Wiggle does Collect+ for local shops, some eBay folk do delivery to local Argos stores) – that seems like a pretty good plan but I can see the shops getting sick of it if it got too popular or the parcels got too big.

This works really well, if you have a late opening shop that’s within reasonable distance. I generally choose this option, even if it means a small uplift in price.

I can’t see the shops getting sick of it, another revenue scheme for them andincreased foot-fall of potential customers. Especially effective when combining a delivery of bike parts, and the requirement for bike part fitting session beers. 😆

globalti
    Free Member

*sigh* Gone are the days when old Jack Randall the postie used to prop his bike against the gate post and approach up the garden path tugging his forelock and saying: (rural Oxfordshire accent) “Letter ‘ere for you, young Master!”

richmars

On the plus side, the DX guy who couldn’t get a signature from me 3 days in a row (and wasn’t allowed to leave it next door) returned at about 7pm when I was in.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Stop sitting around feeling smug. Get it built up and some pictures posted (preferably muddy ones)

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/redundancytrackworld

Need to figure out how the **** I’m paying the mortgage this summer before I get onto what I’m going to ride!

Jakester
    Free Member

globalti – Member

It’s an increasing problem. Maybe people who shop online a lot ought to have a secure bin outside their houses that can be opened with a code that they show on the label?

I have one of these.

Or, at least, a lockable box with a bar code registered to the address on it that couriers are supposedly signed up to.

Despite having vinyl cut 6″ high letters on it saying ‘Deliveries’, and full instructions on how to use added to the top, most (if not all) delivery people simply ignore it.

Boils my piss, so it does. 👿

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’ve been reliably informed my RM parcel has been delivered today to my ‘safe place’.

Except I don’t have a safe place. So I’m suspecting the top of the recycling bin instead…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Yodel left my parcel in my recycling bin

Yodel couldn’t even tell me where they left my parcel. House number? name on door? even though mines has both. signed for parcel, so who signed for it? who knows?

cbike
    Free Member

Send to neighbour /work /pals instead? Order so that arrival is likely to be when you are in? Build a designated drop box?

johndoh
    Free Member

Or, at least, a lockable box with a bar code registered to the address on it that couriers are supposedly signed up to.

Wouldn’t it be easiest if the box was key operated by the home owner and on the day they are expecting a delivery they release a mechanism that allows it to be opened once then when closed it can only be released with the key? A bit like a deadlock I guess.

No need for codes or anything – just lift lid, pop in then close (and check it is secure).

beefheart
    Free Member

DHL are my idiots today.
    I have a secure porch, and despite me specifying ‘leave it in the porch’, I have been left 3 notes on 3 consecutive days saying they couldn’t deliver as I wasn’t in.
    They now want me to pick it up from their nearest sorting office 65 miles away! 👿

Jakester
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it be easiest if the box was key operated by the home owner and on the day they are expecting a delivery they release a mechanism that allows it to be opened once then when closed it can only be released with the key? A bit like a deadlock I guess.

That is exactly how it works. The lock has a mechanism which means it can be closed without the key, but not opened again unless you use the key. It even has full instructions on how to use in large lettering on the lid (after lots of failed deliveries from people not understanding how to use it.)

And it’s still ignored.

globalti
    Free Member

In an effort to redress the balance; I once had a job driving a delivery van and it was by a long chalk the most exhausting, frustrating job I’ve ever done. And that was in the days before twatnav. Thanks to that experience I’m usually fairly generous when courier vans want to get out of side roads.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Increasingly the are also a problem on local/small roads, always in a rush, always lost, always doing an Austin Powers type turn.

Scapegoat

Working from home has its benefits, but I live on a small cul de sac of four houses, and all the local delivery drivers and the postman know I’m in, so I get to be the “left with a neighbour ” option. On some days my kitchen resembles a sorting office.

Houns

Some points from a postie

Many people request to have stuff left in a bin (I do so at home but it is a specific clean bin) some of them as you can imagine are gipping and I hate opening the things

Many request stuff to be put over a locked gate/fence.

If you have a porch and you’re expecting an order LEAVE IT OPEN!

If you order something on the Internet as tracked/signed for/special you know what day it’s going to be delivered, either be in or order it for delivery another day.

Speak to the DO and arrange a “call and collect” so you just go and collect it from there

Turn the TV/music down so you can hear us banging the door as hard as we dare

If you do have to go out last minute then leave a note asking to try a specific neighbour

Don’t mock our handwriting on the cards, we have one arm full of mail, one hand to write, card trying to escape in the wind, cold hands, it’s almost impossible to write neatly

And finally, believe it or not, we hate bringing parcels back. Means we have to carry them around for rest of that walk, take room up in the van and slows us down back at the DO when we want to Bugger off home but we have to sign them back in.

scuttler

I live in Holmfirth and our delivery bods are ace. Admittedly there’s often someone at home but parcels come on time and are left where they should be (and not where they shouldn’t). And my Mrs likes an internet shop so we get lots. These deliveries where we get notified of a particular time are usually bang-on too.

Luck of the location I suppose.

spooky_b329

I’ve got one of those garden storage tubs tucked away, and everything (even stuff that fits through the letter box) gets marked with ‘please leave in etc etc’ as my second line of the address.

My local sorting office were particularly unhelpful, they said I needed a locked tub so I got one, went back a week later to fill out the form, and without any sign of regret, claimed they don’t leave in a safe place anymore and gave me a load of rubbish about thieving neighbours.

Anyway, the posties and couriers are much better and now everything gets left in it, there is a padlock hanging inside but not one has ever bothered using it! Go big though as some of those Wiggle boxes take up a surprising amount of space!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Today's idiot delivery man.’ is closed to new replies.