Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • Toast
  • Harry_the_Spider

Hot or cold before you apply the butter?

Cold for me.

Alex

What? Hardy worth toasting it. Hot toast melting the butter. Anything else is – just – not northern!

bruneep

mikey74
    Free Member

Cold, if I’m applying Marmite after the butter. Hot if it’s peanut butter or jam.

Bregante

Cold. Can’t be doing with soggy toast.

Drac

Hot or there’s no point.

Harry_the_Spider

Cold. Can’t be doing with soggy toast.

Kerrect.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hot toast melting the butter. Anything else is – just – not northern!WRONGER THAN A WRONG THING! Almost as wrong as putting the jam on a scone first.

Alex

soggy toast.

Look I don’t want to come over here as a fired bread fundamentalist but if it’s soggy you’re doing it wrong. IT should be CRISPY. Any bread that come out of the toaster more floppy than it went in needs to be thrown in the local pond.

Next thing you’ll be putting your beer in the fridge. It’s a slippery slope.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

People eat cold toast? Just have a cracker and save the electricity.

Cougar

Clickbait, surely?

slowoldman

Hot, obviously.

Alex

Just have a cracker and save the electricity.

– that’s well meaning but the thing with a cracker is at least it has some stability in the horizontal plane. Whereas cold toast is a) horrible and b) saggy. There’s almost nothing to which those adjectives can be applied in a positive manner and toast certainly isn’t one of them.

Toast – warm
    Lager if that’s your thing – cold
    Beer – Warm

It’s not hard and I cannot understand why anyone has a problem with it 😉

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Toaster?

Has to be done under the grill for me.

Oh and butter applied asap.

Alex

Almost as wrong as putting the jam on a scone first.

And while I’m citing the Food Debrett’s here, jam on an un-creamed scone is beyond an abomination. The jam needs to ‘surf’ on the cream. Next thing you’ll be telling me you’re rhyming scone with ‘one’

Come the revolution comrades, names have been taken.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If you’re going to have it cold why not just cut the bread and leave it to go hard for a day or so before applying the butter.

Alex

Indeed.And in the spirit of enquiry I just toasted a single slice, left it to cool then added butter. All I can say is it’s a good job we have a labrador as they’ll eat anything.

BlobOnAStick

Clickbait, surely?

Quite obviously the work of Clem Fandango.

slowoldman

Has to be done under the grill for me.

What? This is STW man. Toasting fork and woodburner surely?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well on the Scone thing I only have a cream tea when in Devon or Cornwall with local clotted cream, which is just one of the most delicious things. So the Clotted Cream is the star of the show with the Scone and Jam the supporting act. The first thing I want to taste and feel on my palette is the cream with the jam to come in afterward. Otherwise you don’t get to taste the cream on it’s own, it is contaminated with the Jam sitting on top right from the off.

bigblackshed

Cold toast?

Jam on top of the cream?

richmars

You have to leave the toast to cool a bit, in the toaster, otherwise when you put it on your plate, you get a layer of condensation on the plate, thus making the bottom surface of the toast slightly damp.

Cougar

On the scone thing, I have no particular affiliation either way. Rather, it’s one of practicality. Spreading jam onto a scone is easy, as is then spreading cream onto a jammy scone. Trying to spread jam onto half an inch of cream is like biting into a a vanilla slice.

Cougar

you get a layer of condensation on the plate, thus making the bottom surface of the toast slightly damp.

Warm the plate, you amateur.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I only have a cream tea when in Devon or Cornwall

Only one of these is right.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Apply your butter and topping of choice on a board before transferring to a plate. That way you’re not having to butter and top your second slice on top of your first one. I’m literally catching the toast as it pops up, on the board, butter on and Marmite on and first bite within a matter of seconds. It’s a finely honed drill like an F1 pitstop.

richmars

Warm the plate, you amateur.

If I do that, I may as well use the grill, thus wasting the toaster.

Cougar

If using the grill is wasting the toaster, why do you have a toaster at all?

When the toast pops and you’re buttering it, stick the plate on top of the still-warm toaster. Transfer buttered toast to plate, no condensation, no soggy bottoms. (Quiet at the back)

richmars

When the toast pops and you’re buttering it, stick the plate on top of the still-warm toaster. Transfer buttered toast to plate, no condensation, no soggy bottoms. (Quiet at the back)

I bow before the master toast maker. I will try this at breakfast.

jamj1974

I’m literally catching the toast as it pops up, on the board, butter on and Marmite on and first bite within a matter of seconds. It’s a finely honed drill like an F1 pitstop.

Brother from another mother!

RobHilton
    Free Member

Transfer buttered toast to plate

Where do you butter the toast if not on the plate?

You are Arthur “2 plates” Jackson and I claim my dead parrot

RichPenny
    Free Member

Mine goes in the microwave for 20 secs after toasting.

mikey74
    Free Member

The problem with hot toast and marmite application is it makes it difficult to spread the black goo evenly, resulting in some areas that are eye-wateringly strong, and others that are barely skimmed. Allowing the toast to cool a little aids more even application and subsequently a more enjoyable toast experience.

aracer
    Free Member

I do love it when we discuss the more important things.

The cold toast served in B&Bs is all your lot’s fault – clearly the only acceptable way to east toast is hot, otherwise you might as well get it out of a packet.

Cougar

Where do you butter the toast if not on the plate?

Chopping board, it’s a poor heat conductor so the toast doesn’t get cold.

The problem with hot toast and marmite application

The solution there is more Marmite. (-:

Stoner
    Free Member

Cold toast with a plastering of hard salty butter FTW.

I ain’t no deviant.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

The solution there is more Marmite. (-:

Cougar – you are a sick and twisted individual and should be stripped of your privileges here forthwith!

Rorschach
    Free Member

The solution there is more Marmite BOVRIL. (-:
    Also cheese toast (unbelievably NSFW content).
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plCNjB_IIo0[/video]

Pigface
    Free Member

Stoner has it with the toast.

I have deviant tendencies

Jam before cream you dullards, you can get more of both on the scone which sounds more like “one”

Alex

Cold toast with a plastering of hard salty butter FTW

Stoner has history here. He’s gloriously wrong on what constitutes a pie, and here again he transgresses into the territory of the unhinged. That combination sounds like something you give a prisoner 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Toast’ is closed to new replies.