Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • to singlespeed or not to singlespeed…………decisions
  • shortbaldone
    Free Member

just having my geary bits taken off my indyfab and put on my happy get well present yeti 5 which leaves me with an opportunity and a decision.
    should i take this opportunity to build the indy back up SS or should i treat it to new (geared) set up giving me geared ti hardtail and 5" trail bike?
    wondering which will prove more use (and fun) and as wheels and everything absconding to the yeti, could have the white ind eccentric hub wheels etc…built up for the indy??

thomthumb
    Free Member

if you have to ask…

dmoffitt90
    Free Member

Could easily set the bike up single speed reasonably cheaply, just to try it and see where you go from there?

joedaho
    Free Member

Riding a SS will give make you think a lot about body position and balance when technical climbing, as well as the value of maintaining speed.

Also you get to be a dick to anyone on a geared bike you go faster than….

If you've got the means, give it a pop if you can afford.

JxL
    Free Member

I had a geared hardtail, but once built up the singlespeed I have to admit the geared bike had very little to no use at all!

SS all the way.

pixelmix
    Free Member

You might want to get a regular wheel rather than an SS specific one though. At least that gives you the option to change in future if required, and since presumably regular wheels are fine for the rest of your riding, I'm not sure you need to have a SS specific wheel.

ononeorange

See how you get on, but I've ridden nothing else but SS this winter as it's addictive.

rOcKeTdOg

well it hardly takes long to swap between SS and gears so you might as well try it, what have you got to lose?*

*you may gain a beard and a lick ass attitude for some forum members though

joedaho
    Free Member

Becoming a singlespeed **** is optional, though thoroughly encouraged.

tang
    Free Member

out today with a guy from here who rides a 29er ss like a 5" trail bike. its all in the technique. hes so fit he thrashes me on the climbs, zips on the singletrack and hits drops that make me quake. he loves the weight difference and 'pumping the trail'. shortbaldone you around for a ride round wotton sometime? im on some leave so quite flexi.

shortbaldone
    Free Member

will be tang, once i get my bike back, might be saturday but could be early next week once its ready, obviously will be quite keen to get out once i pick it up!!

EddieFiola
    Free Member

One word for you. FIXED

epo-aholic
    Free Member

rigid ss all the way!

paulS
    Free Member

Picked up a second hand Singular Swift thats SS a couple of weeks ago with the intention of converting it to 1×9.
    2 rides in but so far loving the SS, and surprising myself that you can actually get up hills without being super fit.
    Can't see the 1×9 being needed now.

Paul.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘to singlespeed or not to singlespeed…………decisions’ is closed to new replies.