Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • to fixed wheel or not…
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

Despite not owning a single pair of my sisters jeans I am feeling *ahem* looking at building up a *ahem* hack bike, for trips to the supermarket and the odd bit of road work, now I’ve watched a few of these hip hop slave bike videos on the internets and I’m often filled with a feeling of repulsion, distain and dare I say it, nervous curiosity.

I keep thinking about building up a fixed wheel single speed, as I live on a bit of a hill I think I’d be inclined to add a front brake, but then, HANG ON, I don’t live in America, the roads around here are NOT smooth polished concrete but instead are gnarled, potholed and manhole splattered shitty tarmac! so much so that all the road cyclists I’ve seen around here wear expressions resembling regret, wounded pride or the traditional utter despair (that may be indicative of the discipline though, road riding is a discipline right?).

Oh what am I thinking? seriously, I just want to play on a fixed wheel bike, I know I’ll not like it, I don’t even own a single pair of black jeans let along a girls pair!!

Its a stupid idea isn’t it?

help, I am incapable of making any kind of conclusion!

to fixed wheel or not…??

MrNutt
    Fixie-Curious

Andy

make a fixie sub-zero. how niche-esque!

Thought you were off to Afan – c’mon pull your finger out and get going!

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’m waiting for my co-horts to wake up and call so I can go and pick them up, me, I’m all ready!

but no, I couldn’t do that to my subzero, I was thinking of finding some old racer frame of ebay.. ..its a bad idea isn’t it?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Fixed? FIXED??!!?

Don’t you **** dare….

sc-xc

I did it a few years ago with an old racer frame, cost me about £150 all in. Still ride it 20 miles a day to work and back.

Try it, if you don’t like it….don’t ride it. Don’t worry about the people who say it’s a fashion thing.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

fixed all the way if you dont like it you can always put a ss screw on if you dont like it!!

Andy

No not a bad idea – two freak bikes would suit you. I have an Eno rear wheel with the eliptical hub to tension chain on vertical drop out on my Kona. Its got a fixed on one side and I tried it once – didn’t get on with it tbh and soon sawapped it back round. Borrow it sometime if you want to give it a go!

Shack
    Free Member

Find myself having similar thoughts. Something very minimal, wih loads of adonised purple bits, and one of those tiny Brooks saddles. Hoping its just a phase I’m going through as I’m way past the mid life crisis bke. Mind you rode loads of fixie when I was a kid and nothing but happy memories. Maybe its going to be my “return to childhood” bike.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Andy – how much for the Eno? I sold mine when I got the Carver but loved riding fixed around the new Forest.

I am looking at getting a fixed hub with disc mount so I can take the Carver off road fixed with a brake to save me when I lose the pedals. I know the Eno is a flip flop but I could always SS the 67er Scott or something…

ski
    Free Member

Got a old road fixed bike I use for the pub run, great fun watching my mated trying to ride it after a few 😉

Not had a spanner near it for over 10 years, try it MrNutt its a bike at the end of the day, just remember not to freewheel those man hole covers on the bends!

😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

thats a great idea Andy, I think I’ll take you up on it if WCA doesn’t manage to pry it from you!! WCA, hows the vanity bike? that’d make a nice fixed wheeler! whats the.. erm, ah you know the rest 😆

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

and don’t slow down when turning right at traffic lights*

* if you do slow down remember to keep pedaling even when you look over your shoulder to see if there is a car behind you or you might get dumped on the floor in the middle of a busy crossroads

Andy

Chaps the phrase was

Borrow it sometime

!

WCA Want to use it for the Passporte Du Soliel?

Andy

Alex; which one do you mean? With my riding they are all vanity bikes 😆

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘to fixed wheel or not…’ is closed to new replies.