Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • T'Moors
  • flyingmonkeycorps

We’re starting to explore the North Yorkshire Moors a bit more instead of just blatting down the motorway to the Peak District, and enjoying the variety in terrain for a change – there’s some great singletrack out there that looks like it hardly gets ridden.

So short of going through the routes in the V-Graphics book (which is by no means a bad plan) can anyone recommend any “must do” routes?

whitestone
    Free Member

Not sure what’s in the VG book but the Rosedale Loop is well worth doing: a mixture of estate track, old railway line (really!) and singletrack. If you start at Cropton then down the valley to Sinnington, other side of valley to Appleton le moors, then Spaunton/Lastingham. On to the moors and up to Ana Cross and continue to pick up the old railway round the head of the valley, follow this to its end (not all simple riding as there have been landslips), down in to Rosedale Abbey then up the bottom half of Rosedale Chimney to The White Horse pub, turn left here and follow the track which becomes brilliant singletrack back to the road between Lastingham and Cropton, back to Cropton.

You can add variants at the head of Rosedale – look at the map and there’s various bridleways on to the moors, i.e. leave the railway at Blakey Ridge then cut across the very top of the valley and round to drop down to Dale Head Farm.

Worth waiting till things are either dry or frozen on the moors as the tracks can be bog-fests when wet.

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye, I know what the Moors can be like, I’ve walked there a fair bit over the years. Think we did a variation on that on Sunday – we started in Hutton Le Hole and finished on the track from Ana Cross to Lastingham. There was an ace bit of singletrack down to I think Low Mill too, though it was well overgrown.

whitestone
    Free Member

This is the bit of singletrack I’m on about http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=473872&Y=493997&A=Y&Z=120 ace in either direction with just one bit that I’ve never cleaned as it’s basically about ten metres of big blocks scattered on the track.

jekkyl

stick to the roads lads, keep clear of t’moors. 😉

*Hawooooooooooooool*

Rubber_Buccaneer

Ha, beaten to it by the lupine up there ^ 🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

Someone had to do it! (Wrong Moors though, I think)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘T'Moors’ is closed to new replies.