Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 257 total)
  • Tjs recovery ride part 4. Im in England heading for Hull.
  • tjagain

90% probability Thursday

tthew

I think there is likely to be a fair contingent of the MNPR turn out to see you TJ, now it’s been confirmed there’s no danger of it becoming a bike ride. 😁

tjagain

Im scared..please be gentle with me

stwhannah

I feel like the MNPR lot ought to take TJ speedway racing. The perfect combination of bikes, beer and violence.

Sorry I’m not around to help break or repair TJ.

Cougar

Cougs, I’m happy to pick you up and drive over.

That’s very kind, thank you.

Im scared..please be gentle with me

They told me they’d be gentle.

They lied.

I haven’t been back since.

nbt

I feel like the MNPR lot ought to take TJ speedway racing. The perfect combination of bikes, beer and violence.

That was great fun. I recently rediscovered the promo video and the correct issue of the magazine, I’ve set it aside to re-read soon

That’s me in yellow, in my “jesus” phase.

As in “jesus, what was he thinking of going out looking like that”

Harry_the_Spider

Paperwork approved and pass stamped. See you tomorrow!

tjagain

I made it to my pals in Newton le willows in good time despite getting lost in Warrington. I did find the golden gates of Warrington tho

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you end up in East dorset pm me for camping.

matt_outandabout

Newton le willows

If you are accosted by an elderly gentleman who wants to talk about his son who likes bikes and spends too much time on some random mountain bike forum, say hello to my dad. He’s overlooking the high street from The Parchments….

binners

I made it to my pals in Newton le willows in good time despite getting lost in Warrington. I did find the golden gates of Warrington tho

The one way system in Warrington was designed by Satan himself

The Golden Gates we’re made for Queen Victoria to adorn Buckingham palace but ended up in Warrington. God knows how. And I went to school in Newton (not enough of us left footers in Warrington to warrant our own school)

Anyway, we are greatly looking forward to hosting your good self in the East Lancs hills at Casa Binners tomorrow night and it looks like we’ve a good few of the usual suspects coming over for an evening of beer and pizza in Casked 😃

tjagain

25 miles tomorrow to get to sheepsarse

bentandbroken

The Golden Gates we’re made for Queen Victoria to adorn Buckingham palace but ended up in Warrington. God knows how.

Like most things in Warrington, they were probably stolen. If they are in a posh part of Warrington they were probably stolen to order 😉

Cougar

Given their proximity to St Helens it’s surprising they’re still there.

Cougar

Do we have any sort of vague itinerararary for the next 24 hours?

If TJ is like an hour away from a Rammy, which I understand is the default state for a Scotsman, he’s likely going to be in Binnerland whilst the steak bakes are still warm. I have a prior commitment in that I’m playing taxi for Ms Cougar around 6pm, beyond that I’m golden.

I have a friend hosting a BBQ on Saturday which I could probably wangle a +1 for, though I assume you’ll be on the Road To Hull by then.

duncancallum

Slightly gutted I’m now north of this shindig.

Remember only the beers from the top of the board in casked

tjagain

Cougar. I have no plans beyond arriving at binners tomrrow afternoon and id like to be in Amsterdam by around the tenth of august.

I need a rest day in the next few days

But im just making it up as i go along.

I know its a bit awkward being so vague but thats the state of my head. Vague.

tjagain

My bedroom for tonight

frankconway

That’s preferable to a tent – yes?

Cougar

I think I’ve seen that lion before.

RustySpanner

Right, the 4 and 9 year olds have been returned to the daughter so we’re free ’till Festwich on Sunday 😀
    Tired but happy, that was fun.

Happy to pick people up within a reasonable distance from Pendle Hill, just PM us.
    Cougs, is your Mrs coming?
    If so, we have 1 spare seat, if not, 2.
    Sue’s offered to drive.
    Could get messy.
    If more folk want to join in, I’ll happily take a second car.

Can’t wait to see everyone 🙂

Cougar

Just me. She has prior plans tonight.

Harry_the_Spider

I’m interested to know how you are going to tackle the last 500m.

Casa Binners lies mid-way up quite an impressive hill. 25% gradient down or 15% gradient up. A challenge either way with a trailer on the back…

tjagain

Low gears and mighty thighs of POWA

tjagain

Why does everyone live uphill?

*sobs*

Harry_the_Spider

In the case come at it from the EAST. WESTERN approach is like a ski jump with added stone walls.

[EDIT]I have no sense of direction.[/EDIT]

Cougar

The pub’s at the bottom though, right?

In the case come at it from the south.

Is that possible for a Scotsman?

Harry_the_Spider

Pub is at the bottom.

binners

The pub’s at the bottom though, right?

Rather handily, there’s one at the top, one at the bottom and one half way up.

Its the main reason I moved there in the first place 😀

TJ – as someone who’s done it many times, there’s no shame in getting off and pushing up it. It is used as part of the national hillclimb series for very good reason

Harry_the_Spider

It just lacks a cable car.

Greybeard
    Free Member

The Golden Gates we’re made for Queen Victoria to adorn Buckingham palace but ended up in Warrington. God knows how.

They were made as a gift for the Queen but when she went to view them there was a statue of Oliver Cromwell behind them; she took offence and refused the gift. a Warrington councillor saw them (back in the foundry) in 1893 and bought them for Warrington (along with the Cromwell statue).

If I’d known you were coming through Warrington, TJ, I could have helped you get lost.

Harry_the_Spider

She was less than thrilled by the statue of Cromwell in Manchester too, to the extent that she did a “no show” at some big event and was widely slagged off for it afterwards.

To this day the statue of Victoria at Piccadilly is often adorned with a traffic cone as a mark of respect.

binners

To this day the statue of Victoria at Piccadilly is often adorned with a traffic cone as a mark of respect.

I recall a phase of wrapping it in rainbow flags too

Cougar

I recall a phase of wrapping it in rainbow flags too

It’s important to recognise diversity. The blue to symbolise Greggs, the orange representing Pound Bakery, Greenhalgh’s green, the iconic Oddies red…

IdleJon

TJ – as someone who’s done it many times, there’s no shame in getting off and pushing up it. It is used as part of the national hillclimb series for very good reason

He arrived at my house in Swansea on the hottest day of the year looking even hotter and bothereder than I’d guessed, because his GPS had taken him up Constitution Hill. Only 0.2 miles, long, but climbs 300ft and is cobbled. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/cobbles-of-constitution-hill-awaiting-the-tour-of-britain-57542

The Tour of Britain goes up it whenever it goes through Swansea. The pros don’t like it either, but they aren’t riding 35kg of bike and trailer.

Btw, I think TJ’s GPS hates him!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Can I just reiterate what someone else said previously…

I love this thread 😍

Bunnyhop

We need lots of photos of this for ‘preposterousnesserity’.

How many pies can be consumed in one evening?
    I hope no Rams bottom’s were harmed in the organisation of this meeting.

Also yes, we all live ‘up a hill’.

Have fun.

Harry_the_Spider

You and Julian should drive over. It is only 45 minutes away.

Houns

Pix or it didn’t happen!

Bunnyhop

HtS – I’m not well, will see if J is around (I usually drive, then J can drink).

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 257 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.