Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 257 total)
  • Tjs recovery ride part 4. Im in England heading for Hull.
  • tjagain

I woke this morning in England. Its ok. I’ve had my vaccinations😀

Im just south of Shrewsbury and heading north. First stop Leigh to see a pal and then hoping to join the MNPR crew a bit north of Manchester. Then its accoss the pennines perhaps on leeds liverpool canal to see folk in Yorkshire then on to Hull for a ferry to the low countries.

As ever route suggestions and meetups welcome. Also as ever everything is very vague and random

Onwards with the next bit. Hoping to do some good miles today

wingnuts

Lets ignore the fact that we’ll be away from tomorrow for a couple of weeks but as you’ve said England I’m now regarding myself as Snubbed of Milton Keynes! Wherever you go though TJ it’s uplifting to see your progress and the depth of humanity (and beer consumption) in the STW community. Keep on buggering along.

gauss1777
    Free Member

👍

midlifecrashes

If you take the southern option of the Transpennine Trail (surfaces much improved over recent years), there’s beer and board for you in Doncaster. Then onward on the TPT north to Selby, and a right turn there for Hull.

Even further north than the canal route, and you’d need a couple of extra days, The Way of the Roses is absolutely glorious, at least as far as York, where you could hop back on the TPT to Hull via Selby.

RustySpanner

🙂

Harry_the_Spider

What is your approximate ETA in North Manchester so we can have it re-painted and replace the blown bulbs?

nbt

First stop Leigh to see a pal

You visiting @Samuri?

EDIT – having woken up and realised what’s going on (I’ve not followed your previous threads though @bunnyhop has been following avidly) I should say it would be lovely to see you again. We do have some other stuff going on though so this may not be possible. If your route takes you to the south of manchester then let us know and we’ll sort something out

IHN

What is your approximate ETA in North Manchester so we can have it re-painted and replace the blown bulbs?

Nah, leave it all grotty and run down, it’ll remind him of Scotland 😉

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Nah, leave it all grotty and run down, it’ll remind him of Scotland 😉

Manchester is dismal but it isn’t *that* bad, and I say that as a Yorkshrmn.

tjagain

3 days to mnpr land

martinhutch

I’ll probably be away as you swing by Skipton on the Leeds/Liverpool, so have a virtual wave now. There are two potential campsites for you right by the canal – one in Gargrave, one next to the Niffany swing bridge just as you get close to Skipton.

mert
    Free Member

Please please *don’t* stop in Hull.
    In and out as swiftly as you can…

IHN

What’s your planned route-ish on the way to Mordor, sorry, North Manchester? I can’t offer a bed this week unfortunately, but could possibly met up one evening in the sunlit uplands of South Manchester/Bunnyhopshire for a pint, or a brew if you’re passing (you’d have to come up a pretty big hill to pass us though 😉 )

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

then on to Hull

You have my commiserations.

kimbers

Also sad you didn’t come to MK!

flyingmonkeycorps

Will drop you a PM TJ as I’m terrible at following threads, but I’m just outside Hull (can see the Humber Bridge from my window) and would be delighted to meet you / buy you a beer show you around if I can.

tjagain

Hull for a ferry. Not as a destination. I suppose i had better check there is a ferry😀

Ta for all the offers. Much as I would like to take you all up it would make my route even more random and longer. I need to be in the Netherlands in about 10 days before my sister goes on holiday

I also seem incapable of planning properly or committing to anything. Time to look at maps I guess.

Ill update as I get closer.

tthew

I also seem incapable of planning properly or committing to anything.

I thought that was one of the aims of your trip?? 😁

binners

Do we have a North Manchesto’ destination yet?

I need an address to get the coke and hookers delivered to

nbt

Hull – Zeebrugge no longer runs, but Hull-Rotterdam runs as an overnight sailing.

As above, one of the joys of your situation is that you have relatively few committments so you can ride where and whenthe fncy takes you.

If you do swing this way at some point either on the way to hull or at some point in the future, we’ll make every effort to meet up and remember the good times

nbt

Each to their own - hooker and coke

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If only he were called Gregg Binners would be in Shangri-la.

tjagain

Binners. I have to work out where everone is and who is going to be least cruel. I’ll try to make a decision soon honest

IHN

I’m in Disley, which is either Gateway to The Peak, Gateway to Leafy Cheshire or Gateway to the Republic of Mancunia, it just depends which way you’re facing.

Cougar

I’ll PM you.

I’m in Disley

I did not know that. I know precisely two things about the place.

You have a posh bar there called Malt Disley, this makes me happy.

You’ve also got one of the best escape rooms for miles.

IHN

I did not know that. I know precisely two things about the place.

You have a posh bar there called Malt Disley, this makes me happy.

You’ve also got one of the best escape rooms for miles.

I think you did, cos you’ve told me those two things before.

And strictly speaking, you know three things now 🙂

Cougar

I did not know remember that.

FTFM.

tjagain

Making good miles today. 5 miles south of Nantwich and hoping to get further but im about to run out of power for my phone. Couldn’t recharge anything yesterday

RustySpanner

We send the grandkids home tomorrow night, so free Thursday, Friday Saturday.

Garage space and a spare room if any use!
    Will send you the details.

Nobbut a cockstride from Cougs.

tjagain

Ta.

Im checked into a cheap but rather odd hotel in Nantwich. I realised I have not slept in a bed for two weks. A couple of sofas and thevrest in my tent.

nbt

You will likely get VERY drunk if you stay with the spanners. I’ve seen them in action

tjagain

Im getting scared

All these folk offering places to stay. Im also confused. Its not difficult to confused this poor old man. I need to work out where folk are and where i am.

tjagain

Binners. Sent you a message on messenger

Cougar

Binners is in Sheepsarse.

Rusty and I are a little further up, as he says he’s not a million miles from me. Pete’s probably a better judge of which of the two of us is best poised to offer crash space as he’s been here and I’ve not yet visited theirs.

RustySpanner

Makes no odds, as long as he’s somewhere. 🙂

I guess it’s down to cat/bed/sofa preference:

We have a spare room and garage, but we’re up a hill.
    You have a sofa, cats, more games and are closer to civilisation. Well, Padiham. 🙂

We can all meet up, I’m happy to drive and ferry folk around.
    Loads of nice pubs around, Kettledrum near us is a cracker, sure we’ll sort something.

We could even pass him round, like a cheap dog toy…….

Cougar

I also have a deeply uncomfortable futon and a surprisingly nice airbed. But either or.

RustySpanner

So, Binners is Ramsbottom, Cougs is north Burnley and we’re south east Burnley.
    Whatever suits you best, you’re sorted fella.

nbt
    Free Member
    You will likely get VERY drunk if you stay with the spanners. I’ve seen them in action

Ah, now that was a good night post HtN. Looking forward to another one. 😀

hardtailonly

If you need refreshments/company around Leeds way, let me know…

tjagain

Binnets gaff is closest to a sensible route not tha that matters that much. Could we meet at a pub near binnets place?

Ta hardtail
    Ill keep it in mind.

RustySpanner

I’m sure that could be arranged. 😀

Cougs, I’m happy to pick you up and drive over.

Just let us know when and where!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 257 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.