Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Titus Loco Moto – Thoughts?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Been half looking for a new bike for a while and given how little I ride and the type of terrain, I don’t think I need another 160mm full sus. Had been looking at the Pace hardtails and the usual Cotics etc but just found the Titus Loco Moto which seems to tick a lot of boxes – ti frame (never had a ti frame), 29″, long and slack etc.

Anyone have/ridden one? Any thoughts? And if so, how do they size up? I’m 5’8″ and they don’t seem to have any mediums but I’d prefer a slightly longer bike so wondering if I sized up to a large I’d be ok?

funkmasterp

Don’t have that one but recently bought the Fireline. It’s a fantastic bike and seems very well made. I’m not a huge fan of the overly long, low and slack thing so I’m on a medium at 5ft 9”

The Loco Moto seems very long and slack so I’d definitely be on a medium. Anybody got a Hello Dave near you so you can have a go? Very similar geometry.

chrisdw
    Free Member

You’d likely be fine on the large. The reach numbers feel smaller than the charts suggest as the seat angle is steep and head angle very slack. I’m about 6ft on an XL Dave. Feels great.

guandax
    Free Member

Absolutely love my Loco Moco. Do anything bike. Climbs really well, descends like a rocket. Also used it for bike packing.

Compare sizes here: https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/titus-loco-moto-2021/

lightfighter762
    Free Member

6ft here on a large Loco Moto. Also have a large Dave which is a fair bit shorter that I use for local jumpy stuff or uplift like Glencoe. I’d take the Loco on a big day out and It is my rig atm. A very fun bike to be on. The quality and capability of these frames is impressive. I am sold on the geo after going through a lot of LLS hardtails.

hijodeputa
    Free Member

I absolutely love my Dave, read loads of good stuff people had posted on here and haven’t regretted it. I regularly do 20 mile xc loops on it and used it for Twisted Oaks yesterday.

It’s a pretty normal bike despite the freak show geometry, the length of it is probably its most noticable difference from more conservative bikes for me. It rails berms and longer corners but is a bit of a bus in switchbacks.

I’m 5’10” on a large and it’s bang on for me. My full suss hardly gets a look in lately.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Love my Dave to bits. So much so, I have a Loco Moto frame coming for my birthday.
    5 11 on a L Dave, and it feels perfect.
    Careful with Dave/Loco Moto direct comparisons though, although the geo of the Dave and the Loco Moto is virtually identical, they have changed the sizing. L Dave = M Loco Moto.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thanks all for the replies. I’ve been comparing my current frame (albeit which I think I’m verging on the limit of) to the L Loco Moto and I think it’d be ok for me but I think I’d want a sit on one and they don’t have a bricks and mortar shop anymore do they?

Think I’ll probably hold off – was seriously tempted at £1500 though given anything half decent with bounce front and rear is double that…

zerocool

The reach on those things is pretty long, my HT has an unsagged Reach if 440mm and although ideally I’d make it a bit longer (20mm?) I’m not sure how comfy it would be if it was 70mm longer. I’m 180cm tall (5’11 in old money) for reference.

Most of the other geo is similar, although mine has a short ST (425mm) to fit a 200mm dropped and slacker SA (74.5 vs 77) and slightly steeper HA (a steep 63.5* Vs 62* lol).

It might be worth trying to simulate how stretched out you’d be by messing about with your current bike (long stem, etc) so see if you’re tall enough for the Large LocoMoto (I know it wouldn’t ride the same but at least you know if your torso and arms are long enough). I love long, low & slack bikes and how they ride, but you need to be able to comfortably pedal one, especially if you’re going any time or distance on them.

I had a go on a Sick! Shrike a while ago (possibly one of the few that ever made it to a customer) and it was much nicest to ride than I thought when I first saw it.

chiefgrooveguru

That is a pretty huge bike! I’m a bit taller, 5’10.5″ with long arms and legs (so I prefer slightly shorter reach and taller stack than someone with a longer body and shorter legs but the long arms and legs let me handle quite a wide range of sizes).

My previous hardtail was 441mm reach and 620mm stack (459/607 @ 25% sag) with 420mm chainstays.

That felt good until I got used to a bigger full-sus.

My new hardtail is 460mm reach and 650mm stack (480/635 @ 25% sag) with 431mm chainstays. That feels a really good fit.

My full-sus is 447mm reach and 647mm stack with 455mm chainstays – however it’s an ebike so is much heavier and more stable.

The chainstays are relevant because they longer they are, they longer they make the front of the bike feel because of how much further back you have to get to lift the front. Higher stack helps with that manual leverage but that makes the bike even bigger (BB to top of headtube diagonal).

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yep, all things I’d want to try out before shelling out on a new bike. Off to a proper shop I go…

tall_martin

My xl hello Dave has a longer wheelbase than my extra longest geometron G13.

I like them both 🙂

If I actually needed a new hardtail frame it would be the titanium Dave. I don’t need one, I’m still tempted!

a11y

Not a Loco Moto but I’m impressed with the quality/finish of my Titus Mutsu ti hardtail. Although given it’s via Planet X, I’ve no idea if these two different Titus models are even from the same builder.

I too am tempted by the Loco Moto but don’t need ANY hardtail frame let alone a new one. I’ve got a very nice Norco Torrent in the same mould as this and its a riot, although rarely ridden on serious MTB stuff.

Northwind

Mine is sat waiting to be built up, I have high hopes… Had a Solarismax that I didn’t really gel with so next week I’m off to Wales with 2 full sussers and I hope to come back knowing which one I’m keeping and which one’s getting shot through the head to provide organs for the Titus.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

I too am tempted by the Loco Moto but don’t need ANY hardtail frame let alone a new one. I’ve got a very nice Norco Torrent in the same mould as this and its a riot, although rarely ridden on serious MTB stuff

Went through the S1 and S2 torrent. Capable, nice geo and beautiful frame but really stiff. Back to back runs with the Moxie long/longer down some trails on the Golfie and the difference is night and day. Still though the Torrent is a tank and the headtube is much stronger than the Mx3 Moxie. The Torrent you really need to be going fast on anything serious or your legs will blow out before midday! The LocoMoto much better over rough. The Dave still king of HTs ride feel in the rough IMO. I think even MBR or Bike Radar recently reviewed it and there was some praise.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.