Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tips for a trip to Lewis / Harris?
  • Shaun_rob
    Free Member

Hi, hope the collective STW wisdom can help me out…
    I’m planning on heading for a week exploring Lewis, Harris and surrounding islands. Looking for any general tips or places to visit and things to do? Planning on a bit of walking and finding some deserted beaches! Also, any recommendations of good B&B’s would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Shaun

travellingman
    Free Member

Just get out of Stornoway and lose yourself.!

Forget B&Bs, at least for a couple of nights at least and stay in one of the Gatliff Hebridean Trust hostels. There’s two on Lewis and Harris,as far as I recall.

Otherwise it’s standing stones, black houses and ‘the light’ anytime near the summer solstice. You can’t go wrong with any of the beaches to be honest, particularly on the west coast.

The outer hebrides are something special really.. What more can you say?

steveb

Went 3 years ago in my camper van to Uists and Harris.
    Went camping in a tent last year with GF + Kids (11 & 12yo) to Lewis.
    Ferry Mallaig to Skye, 5 days on Skye, the Uig-Harris, 5 days, then returned Stornoway to Ullapool. Cal-Mac Hopscotch ticket.
    Its amazing when you drive west from Stornoway, there is absolutly NOTHING but peat moors for miles until you come to the west coast strip.

Campsite we used was at Shawbost. Reasonable facilities.
    eileanfraoich
    There’s a swimming pool right next door at the school, which was an unexpected bonus. Nice beech about 15 mins walk away.

Coolest beech probably at Luskentye, opposite the island of Taransay (of Castaway 2000 fame).

epicyclo

Midge repellent.

Otherwise a brilliant place. Buy yourself some OS maps and explore.

Harris:
    Urgha – Rhenigdale
    Urgha – Maraig (Or combine the 2)
    Bowglass – Husinish (then go and look at the island of Scarp – site of the world’s first rocket mail)
    Coffin road in Sth Harris.

A road ride right around South Harris is rewarding. Divert off to Luskentyre for beautiful beaches with no-one on them. Take a look inside St Clements.

Lewis:
    Dun Carloway
    Callanish Stones
    A ride up to Ness is good too if it isn’t too windy. Great views from the lighthouse.
    Dun Eistean near Ness

stevie750

+1 for Gatliff Hebridean Trust hostels.

the one in bernaray is amazing. It’s on the best beach

Think it might be on Uist though. it is definatley worth the ferry ride.

iainc

great walks and lovely scenery. Th riding (mtb) is a bit dissapointing though. The golden road is nice, and there is a classic coastal path that once got voted the best trail in the UK in MBR….and actually is quite excellent, if a bit short.

edhornby
    Shaun_rob
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips guys, shall check them all out on the map.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Jealous I love the place.

It’s a beautiful part of the world, gutted when the OH family sold the house in Ness 😐

epicyclo

valleydaddy – Member
    …It’s a beautiful part of the world, gutted when the OH family sold the house in Ness

They obviously didn’t make you eat guga then 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tips for a trip to Lewis / Harris?’ is closed to new replies.