Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • *ting* *ting* *ting*…. GRRRRR @ brakes.
  • weeksy

For some weird reason i simply cannot get my pads to stop a *ting* on the brakes.

If i look carefully it looks to me like the bottom part of the pad isn’t quite touching the piston, but the part of the pad nearest the split pin is..

I’ve been trying to think of a way to resolve this and the only thing i can come up with is it’s cause by the spring clip on the pads, which is pushing the ends out as it’s more triangular at the point where the hole is, rather than being fully rounded, which i guess would give the pads better alignment ?

Can you get ‘better’ spring clips ? anyone else had this ?

They’re Shimano M615s if that helps, with the little arms down the side of the pads.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve tweaked springs before, just bending the bottom out a touch to resolve this.

theotherjonv

if you can hear that when you’re riding along, ride faster so the wind fills your ears.

My road brakes OTOH – after a summer of glazing, they didn’t like the wet on Sunday.  HOOOOOWWWWWLLLLLLLL!

frogstomp

If it’s a regular, but not constant, noise it sounds more like a bent rotor.

weeksy

Tried 3 of them. I’ve a new pair coming in post though.

coatesy
    Free Member

New rotors are no guarantee of them being straight, most will require at least a small amount of tweaking, some will take a lot more. On the subject of the pads not sitting flat, it’s not something i’ve ever come across on M615s (and i’m probably into thousands of them), so i’d make sure you have the correct springs in there (aftermarket pads have been known to be supplied with the wrong ones, sometimes a completely different shape to the pads).

Cheezpleez

If you haven’t tried it, it’s worth zip-tying your levers back to the bars overnight. It did the trick for me recently when I had the same issue.

finbar
    Free Member

Just bend your rotor away from the pad at the point its ‘tinging’ (special tools are available, but using a screwdriver as a lever will do). It’s like truing a wheel but easier.

weeksy

I’ve got one mate, Park Tools. But it’s honestly not visible that it’s actually touching at that point… Which is the confusing bit. I’ve trued rotors over the years more than once… but i’m really struggling with this current setup.

frogstomp

If you look down at the top of the caliper and turn the wheel it should be fairly obvious if there’s a wobble in the rotor, or if the caliper is not straight (although, again, this would rub constantly).

What sort of rotor is it? Some of the floating ones have issues with the bolts touching the caliper / mount.

weeksy

Standard static non-floating Shimano type.

philjunior
    Free Member

Even if the rotor’s almost completely true, it will have *some* side to side movement in it, nothing you can realistically do to resolve that.

If you’re using aftermarket pads, try shimano ones. If not, you could try bending the little spring, or is the pad almost fully worn? Sometimes the spring can start touching the rotor when you’re almost down to the metal (when the spring gets fired out of the caliper, it’s a sign you might need to change your pads soon).

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Mine does it on the rear but only when i’m cornering.  Its a new bike and curiously my previous ten year old bike did it as well.  I assume i’m just too heavy for it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘*ting* *ting* *ting*…. GRRRRR @ brakes.’ is closed to new replies.