Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Time to try another 29er, but which one?
  • bol

OK, so having ridden my second hand RIP9 for a few weeks I’m pretty sure I have the 29er bug. Before I start getting really spendy and start making rash decisions about my Soda, I think I should try out another couple of used ones, but what should I try next? I’d like to be able to swap as many bits straight over as possible, so needs to be 100mm fork compatible. What new (cheapish) or used frame do you suggest?

weeksy

Where you based ? you could test ride mine if near Berks ? XTC29er 2011.

hugor
    Free Member

Its gonna be hard to better the RIP9 IMO. I’ve been riding 29ers for 3 years and have owned my RIP9 for 2.
    I thought about upgrading the frame but I can’t see the point.
    I just spent the free money changing components cause if I was in the market right now, I would still buy it again.
    When the new Bandit29 an Kona Sartori come out though I may experiment and try something different.

bol

Thanks Weeksy. I’m in Norfolk, so a bit of a trek unfortunately.

Hugor, mine’s an early one, and a wee bit flexy for someone as hefty as me. I’d like to try a 2010+ one, but nothing about used in my size.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve just built up a Chimba HX2, drive train, brakes & finishing kit came over from my other HT.

Just needed new wheels, fork & headset. Overall it’s not cost me a penny 🙂

Bargain at £299 for the frame Inc. the EBB

hugor
    Free Member

I guess you’ve gotta decide hether you want a trail bike or xc racer type. I assume you’re talking about full sussers too.
    There are very limited options in the trail category but there’s lots of new bikes coming out very soon.
    Bikes like the Transition Bandit29 and Kona Sartori are way slack with short chainstays and I can’t wait to try them.
    Other than the RIP9 the WFO is the only other one I would consider of the current bikes on the market.
    There is the Tracer29 but I wouldn’t buy another bike from this company (enough said).
    In the XC cateory the Anthem 29 and Tallboy are great options if thats the style of bike you’re after.

bol

I guess I’m looking slightly more xc than the newer RIP. I like the look of the Tallboy, but I’d have to be really sure to drop that sort of money on a new one – and it would mean loosing my lovely Soda. I’d probably snap up a used one though. Equally interested in hardtails at this point, but wouldn’t want it to be overly racey. Chumba looks nice in a Chammeleon type way, but would want to try a used one first.

charliedontsurf

I’ve been very impressed by the handling on the charge cooker 29ers. It also just won a test beating specialized and cannondale. Here is a link.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/ekmps/shops/bikemonger/images/charge-cooker-hi-29er-pre-order-deal-save-10–%5B5%5D-1901-p.jpg

Click on The review picture. Frames coming soon too. Including a titanium variation.

tang
    Free Member

What price on the ti cooker Charlie? I’m liking the look of the Devinci atlas.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Time to try another 29er, but which one?’ is closed to new replies.