Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ti Bolt Question
  • danridesbikes
    Free Member

my cannondale prophet has a 135mm x 12mm rear thru axle, the supplied bolts are quite short M6 17mm bolts, the swingarm is threaded for about 30mm – would i be ok replacing the stock steel bolts with Ti bolts?

cheers

Grimy
    Free Member

Are the bolts for the thru axle or the swingarm? Either way, Decent grade titanium bolts will be at least as strong as the regular steel bolts, unless they where fitted with perticularly high tensile steel bolts.

danridesbikes
    Free Member

they look like this, bolts with 2 into the swingarm, and 1 on the otherside of the swingarm

swisstonyswiss
    Free Member

Dan

In my experience and knowledge Ti can cause problems with corrosion depending on what metal it is next to, ie, Ti seatpost getting stuck in aluminium shim ! Coating of copper slip / copper anti seize is defo needed.

Also, as far as i am aware Ti components can cold-weld themselves together over a period of time, ie Ti bolts in Ti components.

I run a Litespeed with Moots post and bars, and a Litespeed stem and have replaced all the bolts with stainless. Not much heavier and very strong.

PS, I have snapped a few Ti bolts over the years !!!!!!!!

pinches
    Free Member

ti bolts are fine if you put ti prep grease on them first. Should stop all of the above issues.

Grimy
    Free Member

Low stength thread lock works like a galvanic corosion inhibitor too.

JBiker
    Free Member

Don't do it! Titanium is a great frame material, but crap for bolts. My road bike had a Ti stem with two Ti bolts clamping the bars in. Both bolts sheared, and I had a nasty journey over the front. People on another cycling board seemed to pretty much think that was unexpected for Ti bolts. Spend the money on some other weight saving, but not the bolts!

njee20
    Free Member

That is pretty unexpected for stem bolts! A lot of stems come stock with ti bolts.

Alu isn't very tough, but ti will be fine there.

sonic
    Free Member

Grimy – Member

Decent grade titanium bolts will be at least as strong as the regular steel bolts, unless they where fitted with perticularly high tensile steel bolts.

um, really? bolts are a volume-limited material application, which means ti bolts are weaker than steel bolts, no? although how much weaker depends on what titanium you are comparing to what steel.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ti Bolt Question’ is closed to new replies.