Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Thule Aero Bars and Cycle Carrier – numpty fitting advice sought.
  • pstokes99
    Free Member

Have the above, however when you fit with the ‘T’ bolts (that slide into the groove on the top of the bar) the instructions don’t make it clear what you should do with the black rubber strip that sits in the groove.

Clearly I have to cut the strip, however do I have a small length of the rubber strip between the cycle carrier and the bar (i.e. in between the two bolts) or does the entirety of the cycle carrier bolt directly to the bar (with nothing between them).

Any assistance gratefully received.

organic355
    Free Member

I never bothered with the T fittings as the bars would whistle when doing over 80mph in the wet (not that I ever go that fast officer, I read it somewhere).

The T bars are also a PITA if you want to take the cycle racks on and off as I do sometimes to put on my roofbox.

Stick with the "C" clamps much less hassle IMO.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I always use the "T" clips with the bike carriers – I take the rubber strips out and leave them somewhere safe. Stick them back in when surfboards go in the roof.

I used the C clips on my old square roof bars and hated them -less secure, need more adjusting, and generally a PITA.

robdob
    Free Member

If the cycle mounts are going to stay put on the bars (like mine were) and not be taken off, cut the rubber strip to length so it fills in the channel where it is left exposed. Eg if you have 1 carrier then you'll need 2 strips cut to the right length.
    It may depend on the car, but leaving it out can cause wind noise to increase to a weird annoying whistle (which I found out when I lost one of the rubber strips above the driver part if the car!)

robdob
    Free Member

You can't use the c clips with the aero bars as they are alumnium and may deform (possibly). Anyway, what's the point in buying the aero bars and using the non aero fittings?

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Aero bars and 2 racks fitted on T clamps without the rubber going back in, no real wind noise to speak of.

organic355
    Free Member

You can't use the c clips with the aero bars as they are alumnium and may deform (possibly).

Funny, I have had mine fitted like this for around 5 years now.

For me the C clips work better as I am constantly changing the set up from, 2 bikes, 1 bike and roof box, or just roof box.

I also think the T fittings are a bit less secure as it would take much to pop off the end cap of the aero bar and slide the whole bike rack off, with the c-clip, the feet of the roof bars stops this.

Just my preference. I also found with the t fittings and no rubber inserts I got terrible whistling on the motorway, unbearable in the wet.

pstokes99
    Free Member

Thanks all – no rubber in between then.

Previosly just used the C clips but need to move the bike carrier over to one side (to accomdate roof box) so can't use the C clips as the won't quite fit owing to the positioning of the roof rails and feet/clamp things.

Thanks again
    Paul

matthewlhome
    Free Member

cut the rubber bits to length to fill the gaps. keeps quieter and stops dirt etc falling into them. oh, and most importantly looks better.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Organic – if the T clips are tightened properly, there is pretty much no chance of the carrier slipping off. Having used both, I'd say the T clips are much more secure.

organic355
    Free Member

Previosly just used the C clips but need to move the bike carrier over to one side (to accomdate roof box) so can't use the C clips as the won't quite fit owing to the positioning of the roof rails and feet/clamp things.

You are not trying hard enough. I can get 2 bike racks (in opposite directions) and a roof box on my bars, and they aren't particularly wide bars either.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Thule Aero Bars and Cycle Carrier – numpty fitting advice sought.’ is closed to new replies.