Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • GXP Chainset removal
  • 0091paddy
    Free Member

An easy task, simply undo the 8mm allen bolt to allow the self extracting non drive side to slide off..

One problem, despite being greased last time they were removed, I'm having a problem taking them off this time round..not budging at all. It's as though it could still be riden despite having no bolt holding it on..mallet job or what?

Thanks!

MRanger156
    Free Member

On my GXP there were two bolts/caps to take off. Presuming its not that try extending the leverage to increase power!

retro83
    Free Member

So you've somehow removed the self extracting bolt without it pulling the crank off?

0091paddy
    Free Member

@ retro..yes!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Soft mallet —> whack axle

edit – oh hang on, the drive side crank is still attached? hmmm. I'd still use a soft mallet 🙂

Dancake
    Free Member

But the smaller hex drives against the bigger one and pulls the crank off? Is the big one missing>?

0091paddy
    Free Member

Nope everything is present. Allen key bolt came undone fine, no play in the bearings, just won't come off..

Thanks all so far..

Dancake
    Free Member

Put it back in, and make sure the outer one is done up (it might have come unscrewed? ) Outer one goes to only about 10NM if I recall. You will need a big allen key though.

I recently removed mine, Ill post a pic of what the arm looks like

Dancake
    Free Member

the crank bolt is retained in the crank and drives against the outer cap to pull the crank off. If the bolt is unscrewed, it must have pulled the crank off? Does not compute.

Are the threads stripped in your crank shaft (so it is just going round and round ?)

nb My GXP (worn) bb + firex set is for sale if you want it.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Thanks for the images Dancake.

The outter bolt is in fact loose, but the thread must be OK as it'll tighten up (by hand – will have to borrow the larger allen key later on)

I can in fact put it all back together..no play at all as I've said, but the large outer bolt is still loose.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I've got some fireX cranks you can have for free if you can pick them up. Bin man comes on thursday so need to be quick!

0091paddy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Will have another go at them tommorow.

@ MRanger. thanks for the offer, but these have plenty of life left in them yet 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘GXP Chainset removal’ is closed to new replies.