• This topic has 20 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ajf.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Three peaks run?
  • stever
    Free Member

Anyone done this? The Yorkshire one. Any pearls of wisdom you'd care to share? Other than 'don't do that, you're an old bloke with sporadic joint problems and should probably find something more sedate to do in your spare time'.

I've run further and I've run steeper, but not further and steep both at the same time 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Never done it, or anything remotely similar, but I'm sure you'll be fine. What's the worst that can happen? 🙂

paul4stones

I've not done the race but I have done the route and it's fine. Generally the ups are steep and un runnable, the downs are lovely rolling descents. My approach (as a definite 'middle pack' fell runner) is just to go steady, not make any attempt to run the ups at the start and enjoy it! When I did it the chap I was with had a knackered knee by the time we got to the top of Ingleborough which was a real shame – the 6 miles or so back from there looked like a blast!

ourmaninthenorth

I have a pair of friends:

He is disappointed if he's not up there around the top 10.

She was first female last year.

😀

Do it. Do it. Do it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Tip – don't take a shortcut through the peatbog between Pen-Y-Ghent and Whernside. My brother did that when doing the route (as part of a walk) and sank up to his thigh (only got one leg in before he started to sink). It was very funny to watch 🙂

MrSparkle

If you can get in. It is extremely popular and sells out. Also iirc you have to have done an L (long) fell race in the last 12 months to qualify for entry. You may find better advice on here: http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/

stever
    Free Member

I've (hopefully) got an entry, just trying to reassure myself I won't die. I mean how hard can it be? Thanks Ian, you should be a freelance happiness consultant. Good point about the climbs, at least I won't have to carry a damn bike up them this time 🙂

stever
    Free Member

Hey! Nobody died! Hard work though. Had a pretty good run overall, took it easy on PyG and across to Ribblehead then got about 100 places on the deathslog up Whernside. I'd have been happy with top half, so pretty pleased with 264 and 4h26. Suffered Sat night and Sun, don't feel too bad now…

I know there were a few other folk in – surfer, daisyduke, ? – how did everyone else get on?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Well done 🙂 Never as bad as you expect I guess, like most things!

surfer
    Free Member

Hi Stever. Well done.

I think Daisy did around the same time as yourself but havent spoken to him yet, saw some results on the website.

I on the other hand didnt run as I am suffering with Sciatica/Piriformis problem at the mo. bloody painfull I can tell ye!

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Did 4:29, which I'm chuffed with. Took me over an hr to do first 10k as someone stole my legs in the night, so made first cut off by 10mins. Never been to Yorkshire before, let alone seen the hills. Mega race, although room for improvement as far as time is concerned. Be back next year. I looked like a beetroot afterwards as took no sunscreen! 😳

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nice one! Would love to do something like that. Did some mountain running in SW Ireland and loved it.

surfer
    Free Member

Hi Daisy

Well done! See your mate had a stormer!!!!

ChrisE
    Free Member

Who won and in what time? I rode past the start on Saturday at 6:30am on the way to Bolton Abbey. The weather was awsome,

C

paul4stones

Well done Steve! That's a cracking time – must do it sometime . . .

Are you going for run and CX this year?

ChrisE
    Free Member

Just answered my own question, Morgan Donnelly in 3h 2m 34s. My claim to faim was he once pushed (helped) me along a road when he used to do Trailquests with Pete Strong & I was woefully late towards the finish!

C

IanMunro
    Free Member

Congrats Steve! and Daisy too!

MrSparkle

Well done all. He's a bit good is Morgan Donnelly!

stever
    Free Member

Are you going for run and CX this year?

Thought I'd done the double with last Sept/this April. Has to be same calendar year does it? Oh bugger.

Turns out John Brown (2nd), lives just around the corner. Really nice fella, but threatening to come for a run with us. That really would be ownage 🙂

paul4stones

Ask Nick Craig.

Good to see Morgan is still winning things. I did the Allendale Challenge a few years ago, about 40 mins in this little elf came skipping past – turned out it was Morgan Donnelly who was late starting having cycled over from Hexham. He still went on to win though!

ajf
    Free Member

Went to watch this race. Morgan looked very comfortable in the race. Was a minute up at Ribblehead viaduct, by end of Whernside he was a good couple of minutes up and smiling away. Unlike eveyone who followed. Looked a hard day for people and some great cramp moves coming down from Whernside. Heat and the face of Whernside are not the best combo.

Bitter sweet day though as had MRI earlier in the week to look at knackered foot that has kept me out of the race.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Three peaks run?’ is closed to new replies.