Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • the day the immigrants left bbc1
  • anagallis_arvensis

Depressingly predictable isnt it

cassin
    Free Member

Lets hope they don't all leave !

IanMunro
    Free Member

That's what happens when you let 3rd world countries join the EU apparently.

anagallis_arvensis

Or," there's 30 million unemployed in England"

anagallis_arvensis

do feel a bit sorry for the dumbo in the indian he seems like he wants to give it a go bless him

IanMunro
    Free Member

Aye.
    /edit Oh well, that didn't last long.

bullheart
    Free Member

A little bit of me is dying whilst watching this… 😥

ton

lazy set of ****'s…..
    would not let them walk my dog. 😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yeah, it's like when i sometimes pick up a copy of the sun at work and look at something other than page 3

anagallis_arvensis

Thanks christ one of them could do the job, the two racists have learnt to count to 12 too….

mrmo
    Free Member

sad, truly sad.

JB
    Free Member

Broken Britain… no wonder!
    I had 3 Latvians working on a refurb project for me recently, 3 nice, polite, hard working fellas who could turn their hands to anything. Think I had about 6 minor snags at the end of the job, I'd employ them again tomorrow!!!

stratobiker
    Free Member

Can't watch BBC1…. what's it about eh?

ton

Can't watch BBC1…. what's it about eh?

why…..do you have a dish up?

iDave
    Free Member

chav dole scum trying (largely failing) to do the work that the BNP seem to think that non-english are stealing from the descendants of st george

fwb2006
    Free Member

Why were all the people chosen thick as mince?. Expected a bit better from the beeb really.

iDave
    Free Member

fwb – have you seen the wreckage inside a job centre these days?

fwb2006
    Free Member

Afraid not Chief, I do shudder to think though. Surely there must be some normal people who have just been unlucky and ended out of work rather than the bunch of retards chosen. Having said that the place I could think of to look for work would be the job centre!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

The job centres in the East end of Glasgow have security guards!!! As does the one in Govan!

IanMunro
    Free Member

One of the bumpkins is on newsnight at the mo.

AlasdairMc

I liked the suggestion of the two factory workers that these hardworking immigrants are making a positive contribution to Britain yet we should expect jobs to be given to the terminally lazy just because they're British.

My wife and I agreed that if we were the parents of that 26 year old we'd have kicked him out years ago, spoilt waste of space (he's only a couple of years younger than me)

Philby

Selective use of a very small group of people in a very seasonal low wage industry does not infer what the BBC is trying to suggest i.e. British unemployed are idle and Europeans are not. There are good and bad, intelligent and not so intelligent, hard-working and lazy in all countries.

Probably like most of the Brits who have moved abroad to work, the Eastern Europeans have made a conscious decision to work here for economic reasons – and most are excellent and conscientious at what they are doing IME, and we should welcome them unreservedly.

What's more appalling is that only Britain, Eire and Sweden have given the people from the EU's new Accession states the right to work in their country – surely a more legitimate programme is why the likes of Germany, France, Belgium, Italy et al are flouting the spirit, if not the law, of the EU which allows free movement of labour and trade.

Sandwich

Speaking as one who is not quite "as thick as mince" 🙂 it's next to impossible to be taken seriously for a job the employer considers below you. Royal Mail have been my only success in this area and that was as a temp.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

completely biased!!

i did lots of unskilled temping and summer jobs in my student days, e.g. washing up in a kitchen canteen (13 hours a day!!) or putting stuff in envelopes and filing all day and i saw none of this laziness depicted on the beeb!

Seem to be comparing the worst of our society with people who are genuinely trying to better themselves from other countries.

i bet theres the same distribution of idiots in every country.

wwaswas

I think the point of thios program was they were all people who were saying "Just give me a chance and I'll prove I can do a good job".

The casual racisim of the two potato blokes on their first day was incredible "Have you thought about going back to your own country?". And then saying "Well everyone has a bad day" when it wss pointed out they couldn't count to 12 with any degree of accuracy. They did seem to turn it around a bit later on though.

Ans I expect that if you spoke to any of them this morning they'd all be saying it wasn't their fault that they failed and they'd still blame foreigners for taking the job they were entitled to.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Didn't watch it, but my partner did, she said it was very embarrassing for the British, and admired the foreign workers for how hard they work, told me about the Asparagus farmer who said he wouldn't have a business if it wasn't for the immigrant workers who could earn up to £170 per day, left to the British they could only manage £40 a day and the farmer would have to subsidise them to bring them up to minimum wage! Will have to watch it now on iplayer.

epicyclo

It's simple really.

The high quality British workers are in decent jobs, and aren't available for seasonal work. That leaves the rest.

Wiredchops
    Free Member

Heard an interesting point made by an American Sociologist on yesterday's today programme. He pointed out that the comparison was a bit skewed. Firstly our political classes have sold the dream of aspiration to a voter base in order to get in to office, but the dead end jobs remain. The immigrants who come over see the work as a stop-gap solution to getting some income together to go on to do better things (study, get your own business etc. etc.) very much like the British student workers an earlier poster referred to. It's not a fair comparison to pull in a group of working class people who are expected to see this work as something they'll have to do day in day out for the rest of their lives. I'm not saying they have to consign themselves to that but that is the perspective (and requirement) if we aren't going to use seasonal immigrant labour to fill our job gaps.

In the immortal words of a wise man 'the lesson is, never try'

Si C

soulwood
    Free Member

I watched this program and initially drew the same conclusion that Brits are lazy, but as said on here, its a poor comparison. People who are prepared to travel to another country to work are bound to more focused. There are likely to be lazy 26 yr old work shy people in Eastern Europe, we never see them because they could never gather themselves together to travel. I'm all for this Eastern Europe workforce anyway, my sister in law is Polish and has made me an Uncle!

monkfish
    Free Member

Why were all the people chosen thick as mince?. Expected a bit better from the beeb really.

Knowing the Fens and its high level of inter breeding I'd suggest they rounded up the Creme de la menthe.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I agree with the poor comparison argument. The point of the show was to challenge the hypothesis that Eastern Europeans are taking jobs from British people. In these terms the BBC proved it false as the case studies showed the people put into jobs didn't want to do them, couldn't do them, were unreliable, or, given time, would be able to do them.

There are a number of problems with this approach, not least the sample size and the fact they got the people to do a job for only two days! Moreover, the point highlighted by Wiredchops is crucial, and relates to a point Evan Davis made right at the end of the programme: more needs to be done to educate the unemployed and remove social and institutional barriers stopping them from working. A programme about those latter issues would be much more useful.

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Still can't believe we're having to pay our taxes to support these types of long term wasters!

At the end of the day it's all the fault of the benefits system.

The foreign workers should be applauded for coming over here and working so hard since at the end of the day, I'm sure that the Polish don't enjoy packing potatoes any more than the rest of us would.

Sure everyone falls on hard times occasionally and might end up unemployed, but I'm sure most of us would do any job if it meant keeping food on the table. The difference is that these idiots have got so used to living on our permanent hand outs that's it's impossible for them to get motivated.

As one of them said in his own words – "Sure I'd love to get a job but I'm concerned that my benefits might be affected".

Says it all really!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

A lot of the work is seasonal not long term so why cant these dead heads knuckle down like the foreign workers, as its not forever and it will give them some dignity and purpose as well as an introduction to work, better than hanging around on a street corner, but the need to change the Psyche of these work shy lot before they get work.

takisawa2

I left school with **** all qualifications. Had a succession of crap jobs of a similar vein to those last night, but that gave me the incentive to work harder to get on. Surely thats how it works. My Brother-in-law started in one of those food packing places about 6yrs ago, he now manages the place on £30k+. He's not got a single GCSE to his name.
    The Government have had to resort to allowing in hordes of low paid (but still tax paying) workers in order to help pay for that load of free-loading thick idle trash on the Beeb last night. The Eastern European workers we have work bloody damned hard, are always willing to put themselves out, & I'd don't begrudge them being here one bit.
    The aforementioned load of free-loaders should be put to work sorting recycling, picking litter etc. Grrr.

wwaswas

I think the fact that Lithuania has 23% unemployment and an inadequate social welfare system might explain the attraction of coming over here to work.

I've voted labour since I turned 18 in 1984 but everytime I see kids like that 26 year old layabout I think '**** it, why am I working to support people like that?" and feel all right wing and anti-state benefits.

starseven
    Free Member

Questions should be asked about this programmes impartiallity. The makers clearly had an agenda then made a film to satisfy their need.

An alternative view could easily have been shown. The licence fee should not be used for this purpose.

molgrips
    Free Member

Had a succession of crap jobs of a similar vein to those last night, but that gave me the incentive to work harder to get on. Surely thats how it works.

Only if you are lucky enough to be born with the wits to do it. A lot of stupid people out there, is it their fault they are stupid?

The reason you are paying taxes to support workshy scum is that you are also paying taxes to support honest decent people who've fallen on hard times. The civil service has not yet found a way to differentiate between the two; it is morally better to help both the deserving and undeserving than it is to punish them both.

kimbers

starseven thats pretty much every documentary on tv is it not?

starseven
    Free Member

Could be, me and TV aren't that familiar anymore.
    I know this sort of stuff exists but to my mind it was better suited to some mid table sky channel than prime time BBC1.

It really was a documentary for dummies.

As for the content well it was so predictable. A layabout mummies boy, a couple of oafs and a sprinkeling of chav etc etc..so set up.

The boy in the curry house was genuinly hard done by, displaying willing but lacking skill on his first day, what should be expected?

I would like to put the owner of the curry house and the film production staff in a machine shop or research laboratory then laugh at their incompetence or even film it for additional humiliation.

glynP
    Free Member

My mate lost his job last year at the age of 52, he has never been unemployed before. He was treated like scum at the social even although he has paid his taxes for all those years. He was given 9 weeks to get a job or his benifits were to stop. He was livid, when he asked do the long term unemployed get treated like this he was told it was none of his business. They kept picking on my mate because they new that he would look for a job and take anything going, the whole system is shit, when is a polititian going to have enough balls to say it like it actually is. Humph!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘the day the immigrants left bbc1’ is closed to new replies.