Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Three Cliffs Bay, Gower
  • Back home now and had chance to upload some pics.

I don’t think I’ve been to a more beautiful beach and impressive campsite in the UK – the view straight from the caravan is straight down onto the bay.

The beach doesn’t get busy, is clean and to top it off, there is no gaudy seaside town/arcades to spoil the serenity. If you go there, try some food at the King Arthur, Reynoldston.

From the campsite…

The campsite from the beach…

On the beach…

The path back to the campsite…

The bay…

High tide…

Bluebells…

midlifecrashes

Still time to take that down and hide it. Nothing to see here, move along. Cornwall is just over there, that’ll be what you want.

PS. Is the incredibly hot waitress still in the tea shop at Pennard Stores? Lovely buns!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah high tide at 3 cliffs comes in fast, offered to find the stepping stones back to the campsite and went in over my head…. I swam back and warmed up in the tent with beer while the others walked round

Lol at midlife and at mike…

Bugger, didn’t try the tea shop, although all the bar staff at the aforementioned King Arthur must have to go through some sort of ‘if you are fit, then you’ve got the job’ type interview…

pennine
    Free Member

Some lovely rock climbing on the 3 Cliffs. Straight off the sand if the tides out too. Airy Arch Slab is a classic.

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

Croeso Y Gymru..

I live about 45 Minutes away from TCB, i’m a regular climber and even though i have climbed every route there (bar the silly solid E6), i still go back as i just love the place, such a beautiful place to be on a hot day, though another reason is that i also enjoy the local Basset Hound that comes and watches us, after i had mine put down last year she enertains me sitting in the rock pools barking at climbers.

Glad you enjoyed the place.

James.

colande
    Free Member

The campsite there is slightly draconian,
    not the friendliest of sites, kinda ruins it for my personally.

nicholaston farm on the other hand is so much nicer,
    it’s a much more pleasant experience,

matthewlhome
    Free Member

great climbing on the cliffs. Have fond memories of climbing there with the tide rapidly advancing up the base of the cliff:)

stever
    Free Member

Likewise I well remember squeezing the classic VS in with the last of the daylight, having to rapidly move the belay higher as the waves came in 🙂

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i get to walk my dog there everyday, and every time i feel like a right lucky git. hopefully will be doing some work on the castle this summer too. come, your welcome, but if your driving slow to look at the wild horses let me through in my van – some of us have to get to work 😉
    – oh and the joiners arms in bishopston has the best ale in wales made in the room next door (barmaids arnt as hot as the ‘Arther tho)

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve climbed and beached there too. Only issue in an otherwise perfect spot is that the beach goes away at high tide.

benjamins11
    Free Member

I can throw a stone to it from my front door – I live in Penmaen just above the bay, its a wonderful place to live, and i have some pretty good biking just outside my front door.

molgrips
    Free Member

Gower biking is limited isn’t it?

benjamins11
    Free Member

Its not exactly a biking paradise, but there are some nice bits and pieces, you just need to know where to look.

maxlite
    Free Member

10 mins down the road from me, 3 cliffs is great, but if you want solitude try Mewslade

http://www.enjoygower.com/beaches/beaches14.cfm

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I studied the map and found one absolutely great loop that seemed to take in all the trails. Just one tho 🙂

doc_blues
    Free Member

shooting a wedding there next month, and this just confimrs that I am very much looking forward to it

it also confirms, I need to pull my finger out and sort some accommodation. Any recommendations for cheapish and nice b&b?

brakeswithface

Two loops I’d say, one east and one west. Or one really really big loop. There’s a real difference in the character of the riding split N-S around Penmaen.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Yeah I agree, its the stuff around penmaen and bishopston that people dont tend to know. Clyne isn’t too far too, and can be linked in.

benjamins11
    Free Member

brakes with face – your not nick are you?

brakeswithface

Yep, hello Ben! Gower’s riding really well at the moment, the stuff nearer Mumbles is going through a short lived period of not being a swamp.

Aidy
    Free Member

The campsite there is slightly draconian,
    not the friendliest of sites, kinda ruins it for my personally.

Yeah, I wasn’t impressed with the warden there who accused us of “trying to sneak past him”, after we’d gone and knocked on his door.

(It was dark, and we missed the signs going in which said to report to the warden if the main office wasn’t open. We drove into the field and went back to see what the checking in policy was.)

Bit pricey too, but that said, couldn’t ask for a better view of the bay.

AlexSimon

Stayed there about 18 years ago – doesn’t look like anything’s changed!!

To the contrary, I found the warden and his partner to be pleasant, helpful and willing to spend a few minutes having a chat every now and then.

He lent me a levelling ramp, and then another one, and then a chock, and finally an extension lead, so that we could have the last remaining pitch with a sea view.

He could have quite easily put me at the back of the field on a level pitch, closer to a leccy point. He took time out to give me advice on pitching up too – seeing that I was a noob and all.

No complaints from me at all.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Don’t give the bloody game away!!!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

P.s I found three cliffs camp site to be very nice. Pricey but very accommodating. The farm place along the road is also lovely, but with the view isnt as good (but still great).

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to say…..

It’s horrible, no-one go there

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Three Cliffs Bay, Gower’ is closed to new replies.