Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Threads about folks on here with depression.
  • Mugboo

I have just had a customer in who is really struggling, I remember reading through a couple of very good threads on here that showed that he is not alone in feeling like this, can anybody remember them?
    He is booked in to talk to somebody professional on Friday but I thought it might help if he could see how normal it is to feel this way.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

There was a great ‘depression and me’ cartoon linked to on here a few years back. Made me laugh inwardly and realise I wasn’t at all alone.

A website mainly populated by middle-aged men, who cycle a lot.

Frequently features threads on depression. Who-da thunk it, eh? 😉

Edit: This was the cartoon – sums it up brilliantly: hyperbole and a half – cartoon about depression

lunge

This was mine about my wife. The responses I got were truly humbling and made me realise what a wonderful place this is.

Mugboo

Thank you, and yes lunge that was one of them, I hope things have improved for you and yours.

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

I’m trying to work out if trends on this forum are a symptom or a cause of depression. Either way, I’d suggest the following to your customer:

• Stop worrying about how niche he is – it’s all just riding bikes
    • Embrace Strava… if he wants… If not, it’s no biggie, just stop w**king on about it
    • Avoid the who-can-be-the-most-PC-willy-waving-contest and the smug satisfaction that some people tend to gain from it
    • Don’t make it your goal in life to be the first to inform Singletrack that someone mildly famous has died
    • Don’t measure your self worth on how many replies you can get on a thread
    • Quit f**king “fixing that for you”
    • Quit trying to think of threads where you can use the words “Bangernomics” or “hive mind” or “[insert-thread-title]trackworld”
    • Don’t ever start a conversation with “Have we done…?”
    • Don’t moan when a roadie fails to notice you, wave like a performing seal and offer you his most profuse salutations of the day

Mugboo

No_eyed_deer, that’s very powerful and helpful to somebody like me who hasn’t a real experience of these things.

lunge

That cartoon is wonderful.

Speeder

• Stop worrying about how niche he is – it’s all just riding bikes
    • Embrace Strava… if he wants… If not, it’s no biggie, just stop w**king on about it
    • Avoid the who-can-be-the-most-PC-willy-waving-contest and the smug satisfaction that some people tend to gain from it
    • Don’t make it your goal in life to be the first to inform Singletrack that someone mildly famous has died
    • Don’t measure your self worth on how many replies you can get on a thread
    • Quit f**king “fixing that for you”
    • Quit trying to think of threads where you can use the words “Bangernomics” or “hive mind” or “[insert-thread-title]trackworld”
    • Don’t ever start a conversation with “Have we done…?”
    • Don’t moan when a roadie fails to notice you, wave like a performing seal and offer you his most profuse salutations of the day

Can’t offer any advice but that deserves a thread of its own – and a sticky.

MoreCashThanDash

Point them at my posting history since about June last year. 😕

Northwind

I love that hyperbole and a half cartoon, it makes simple things that we make complicated for ourselves. I’ve shared it with alot of people.

MoreCashThanDash

Jeez. Having a “not so good day” today, and that cartoon is very, scarily real.

mikey74
    Free Member

That cartoon must have been drawn about me.

simmy
    Free Member

MCTD, Mikey, I agree. Scary when you can scroll the page and know what’s coming…..

alpin
    Free Member

what an odd lot we are….

for me, too, that cartoon rang true…. just about up until the corn thing. saved it to show the GF. tried telling her that her constant positivity (although meant in good faith) doesn’t help.

v666ern
    Free Member

Can’t offer any advice but that deserves a thread of its own – and a sticky.

+1

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

Having had a read of that cartoon, I now think I’m depressed… There was nowt wrong with me til I started coming on this bloody website!!
    😥

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Threads about folks on here with depression.’ is closed to new replies.