Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Those with a turbo trainer….
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Are you able to stand up and thrash on yours for short sprints? Even in my hardest (MTB) gearing (46/12 IIRC) its too easy for standing work, I can do it but I spin out in about 6 seconds!

What do you use as a performance metric – I need targets to meet or I just wont be motivated, but it looks like I might have to shell out on a cadence measuring and heart rate monitoring computer – I normally leave my computer duties to my GPS!

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

raise the resistance…

on a turbo, you should be able to adjust so that your (near enough) unable to move that gear…
    and for some decent training a heart rate monitor makes the world of difference, so you can work on zones, over just how you feel.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Maxed out on the resistance, its a bit hard to turn the pedals by hand but sat on the bike its not that difficult to get up to max rpm in 3-4 pedal strokes? I’ll have to steal (I mean temporarily borrow) my other halfs computer/HRM and stick it on the TT bike!

taxi25
    Free Member

It sounds like somethings wrong.I’ve got a cheap mag 500.I’never get anywhere near to having it on max resistance and in the highest gear!!! Make sure the cable activating the resistance is working.If everythings fine think about an entry to the Tour de France or something.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

as taxi said,

i would reckon theres something wrong with it then.
    (now if you said rollers, this would be perfectly understandable…)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Doesnt seem to be anything wrong with it, it does get progressively harder with each click, it was slipping a little at first but I’ve tightened it onto the tyre more now and it only slips in much easier gears – but thats noticable as its a definite instantaneous ease in resistance.

Its a Tacx speedmatic magnetic one, got it as a present for xmas, but my commuter mate (when I lived elsewhere) has the same problem with his – neither of us can get it hard enough (lol, no sniggering at the back boys) and he’s on 52/14 fixed. Definitely not TdF material, I have the stamina of an egg in a boxing match!

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

its either one with a very low top end resistance… or broken…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think I need a side by side testing to find out!

r6ymy
    Free Member

I’ve got a TACX Swing, and there’s no way I can spin out in top gear and max resistance, I can just about do 60rpm standing up on that setting.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

How long does it freewheel for? it should stop very quickly

coffeeking
    Free Member

Well I know I’m heavy but I’m not a tree-legged monster. It stops spinning within maybe 3 or so wheel rotations from memory, not very long at all, I remember thinking the flywheel almost didnt seem worth bothering with! Reckon I could pedal it with 1 leg at 60rpm! maybe thats a bit of an exaggeration, but I can certainly hit 90-100 sat down.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Tried it against another and it’s the same. Suspect this is why 6-£900 TTs state they can do 10% gradients and normal TTs dont. I’ll just have to use it for endurance training instead of strength.

r6ymy
    Free Member

Coffeeking – see if you can have a go on the Swing, I got it because of the recommendation on the Torq web site:

Tacx Swing

This turbo features the most powerful electromagnet available on any turbo trainer at any price. The Tacx Swing provides huge amounts of resistive force at very low wheel speeds, so is perfect for use with a Mountain Bike to train for smooth and efficient pedalling dynamics.

I’m in West Oxfordshire, if you’re anywhere near me you’re welcome to try mine.

stratobiker
    Free Member

coffeeking – Cadence meter not required. If you pedal 1.5 pedal turns every second that’s 90rpm. Ideal.

HRM not required. Using a watch or clock with a second hand get warmed up and focused at 90 rpm. Shift to a harder gear. Stick with it for three minutes. You must maintain 90rpm. After three minutes go another gear harder, for another three minutes. Maintain 90rpm. You’ll get to a gear when you can’t keep up the work rate. Run that gear for as long as you can maintain 90rpm then go back to an easy one and work your way up again. Measure your progress by way of which gears you can turn.

IF – you can spin 90rpm on your turbo in top gear and maintain it. STOP, get off, strip to the waist and whip yourself with a wire coat hanger. Your turbo isn’t working right.

HTH
    SB

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Those with a turbo trainer….’ is closed to new replies.