Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • This spider attacked me…
  • fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

yours must still be a nipper, its still quite translucent and alot smaller than my attacker was!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

big enough for me…not a fan of spiders

somafunk

Nah, definitely a wolf spider CountZero although the orb weaver do grow into ugly fat brutes, they tend to never leave their webs as they are rather ungainly when moving and can’t jump – check out the difference in the abdomen and cardiac mark (big white mark) along with the translucent legs on your orb then compare with original pic

franksinatra

Are you dead yet?

bigyinn
    Free Member

fourcrossjohn – Member

bigyinn, are you a wighter?
    Yep and we’re friends on facebook. Sheesh!

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

are we? uh oh?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Well you were, but apparently not now. I’m Paul beazer in the real world.

philconsequence
    Free Member

are you wearing lynx body spray?

did you not read the warning on the can?!

jon1973
    Free Member

roper
    Free Member

I’m not convinced it’s a Lycosidae. The body shape doesn’t look right or it’s stance and I can’t put the markings to any wolf spider.I’m not sure a wolf spider would web like the op description either. A clearer dorsal photo would be better or at least of the head (carapace)area to see the eye structure.
    It might be a male Araneus quadratusIt might be on the wonder for a mate, before winter, and got lost. It would also explain the aggression shown and possibly the webbing. I’m not positive though without more photos.

Unless you have an allergic reaction the bite will be fine. Pretty much all Northern European spiders have a mild venom to humans.

racefaceec90

just be thankful that it wasn’t one of these bad boys 😯

somafunk

Jesus-H-Christ!….wtf kind of spider is that?…..it’s just a pair of fangs with legs attached.

nick1962
    Free Member

Had this bad boy in my garden for a while,even scared the dog ,it’s body was almost an inch long.
    PICT0052

racefaceec90

it’s an australian funnel web spider.highly venomous/highly aggressive/ AND IT CAN BITE THROUGH YOUR TOENAIL!! 😯 😮 😯 PARP!

our native spiders are sweethearts in comparison (metaphorically speaking 😉

I’m not kidding, but you can have fun with these spiders now that they’re quite common in autumn.

Get within a foot or so of the spider as she sits there in the middle of that dinner plate sized web. Then start humming (somewhere around middle C) and watch what happens.

Go on, get out there and find one now….

Wozza
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Do spiders get rabbies?
    Only the Jewish ones.

I lol’d

roper
    Free Member

The Oz funnel web is a beautiful spider. The Japanese is rather nice too, with slightly redder colouration. We do have a European version, M.calpeiana which can be a little skittish but has a much milder venom. They can get quite narky too.

somafunk

davextremistsdotcouk : Step away from the spider, put down your kazoo, return to the house, lock the door and put the kettle on for a nice cup of tea.

I’m not surprised that funnel web spider can bite through a toenail – it looks as if it could rip my front door off it’s hinges before dragging me out the house.

I like our spiders in this country but Australia sounds pretty messed up wi all it’s scary shit that can kill you.

somafunk

Right you’s lot….STOP IT NOW!…….IT’S NOT FUN ANYMORE.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..these spiders now that they’re quite common in autumn.

Why is that ? I’ve noticed in the last week or so that there appears to be an exceptionally large amount of spiders in the garden, where have they been all year ?

khani
    Free Member

where have they been all year ?

Under the OP’s bed…..

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Posted this up before on here, but the downstairs of our house is full of these:

Told the council, who said they were sorry but they had shut down the pest ccontrol department. Phoned pest control companies who said they don’t know much about them.

We actually don’t mind them – they kill loads of flies, and for the main, keep themselves to themselves. If I find a male off on a wander, I tend to catch them and remove them from the house, but it is a little worrying when the BBC keeps on putting stories up like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-19420894

Especially as we have two small children.

roper
    Free Member

Scott. I really wouldn’t worry about them. I have some too, have mated them and looked after the lings. I’ve handled them a fair bit and they have never shown aggression or any sign of biting.

That bbc article is extremely misleading, mostly wrong and just made up. The only accurate bits are the quotes from Ray Gabriel. Just ignore the rest. The ones you have will largely control themselves as far as numbers go. If you get too many and they don’t have enough prey they will start eating themselves, which lowers their numbers.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Thanks for the reassurance roper.

ski
    Free Member

Get within a foot or so of the spider as she sits there in the middle of that dinner plate sized web. Then start humming (somewhere around middle C) and watch what happens.

Go on, get out there and find one now….

I have just had to explain to my neighbour what I was doing, we both must be doing it wrong because the only reaction we get is giggles from our other halves 😉

DT78
    Free Member

was going to say it looks like orb spiders, had a couple in the garden last year, just back from hols and the acer is covered in webs with several of these. When you get close they rear up to defend!

ti456neal
    Free Member

Scott, they do look like false widow spiders. I work for southern water and we’ve had H&S posters put around because a few employees have been bitten when disturbing them accidentally.
    Just be careful with the kids, I live in Chichester and found my 3 year old trying to play with one the other day, the little buggers are popping up everywhere!

john_drummer
    Free Member

anyone else see the resemblance?

woody2000

anyone else see the resemblance

Aarrr!

Karinofnine

Oh why oh why did I open this thread? I thought it was going to be a soft toy or something funny…

I’m frightened of spiders…

Last year there was a horde of those long-legged ones which go flat and lay their legs out when they are resting, then go back to spider shape when they are running along. Anyway, there were loads in my awning, and when I shook the awning they all started bobbing up and down and drumming their feet. It was quite scary, hah, but my long-handled broom soon sorted the cheeky buggers out!

Northwind

somafunk – Member

I like our spiders in this country but Australia sounds pretty messed up wi all it’s scary shit that can kill you.

When my brother was out in australia, he tried to explain to a local why he’s got a phobia of spiders. “When i was little, one crawled into my bed”. Oh right, says the aussie, you’ve got to watch that, some of ’em’ll kill ya! So Dave says, “This one just ran around a bit”.

Australia. Not for the likes of us.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘This spider attacked me…’ is closed to new replies.