Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • This new fangled DAB radio
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

What do you listen to?

I have 3 DAB radios at home but I rarely listen to them, the only time I really want DAB is in the car.
    I was an early adopter of in car DAB some 5/6 years ago but sold that car about 3 years ago & have been without it in a car since. Just lately I have become sick of normal national/ local radio so I have splashed out on a new one for the car, current 6 presets are as follows but i”m looking for suggestions for services that can be picked up in the London area.

1, 6 music
    2, radio 2
    3, talksport (can’t bear to listen to AM transmissions)
    4, absolute 90’s
    5, planet rock
    6, the arrow

So apart from gaydar radio what am I missing out on?

cheers.

curvature
    Free Member

BBC Radio 6 is worth the DAB radio alone!

chewkw
    Free Member

I only listen to Classic FM to counter the breathing noise from the passenger(s) …

CountZero

Since buying my first DAB radio in 2005, I’ve now got a DAB/dock, a small portable at work, and a Kenwood DAB unit in the car, and I have one station preset on each of them: 6Music. I have no interest in listening to any other stations, and if I can’t get 6Music, I’ve got an iPod with 14,000+ tracks on it.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Interesting, I have had the new unit only a few days & have to say that 6music has really thrown up some good music that gets little exposure on any other stations, new stuff, old stuff & plenty of fringe stuff in between, where else to you hear the Beastie boys & primal scream nowadays?
    I’m showing my age aren’t I 😉

tthew

XFM’s OK, if you are near That London or Manchester, (or Glasgow??)

But mainly, as has already been pointed out, 6music should be your go-to choice. Apart from really early in the morning, that Chris Hawkins is a no.1 tool.

sadexpunk

yep, 6 music is all i listen to as well. it has everything you need 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

Radio 5 Sports Extra for Test Match Special

codybrennan
    Free Member

Interesting post.

I’ve got a late-model Golf, VW 310 series radio/cd/usb, with a line in.

I use one of these:

http://reviews.argos.co.uk/1493-en_gb/9255698/reviews.htm

And just use a longish RCA lead as aerial and line.

It works surprisingly well; down to Wigan and back on Sunday from Lanarkshire, never failed me.

And yes, 6Music all the way. Seems there’s a strong correlation between dab adoption and 6Music listening.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

When I used to have DAB in the car & 6 music first started I used to like to listen to Phil Jupitus in the morning, then it went down hill & I listened to CO’C(k) on XFM in the mornings then Zane Low on the way home , I still like Zane for his pasion although I feel he sold out to the BBC for the money, but the CO’C(k) I’m happy to live without.

Cheers.

molgrips
    Free Member

I want to like 6 music but it seems awfully middle-class and ****, which is weird because I usually like middle-class **** things. I actually prefer XFM now even though I do not live in That London.

zippykona

Xfm. I went on holiday and it was a good station. Came back turned on radio and they were playing eagle eye cherry.
    Capital effing radio had bought the station while I was away.
    Never listened to it since.

simon_g

There’s an Absolute 00s now too.

Kerrang a lot of the time for me at home (don’t have DAB in car) if I just want something on in the background.

molgrips
    Free Member

Kerrang and NME are both good.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘This new fangled DAB radio’ is closed to new replies.